Learning an instrument with arthritis .

Mormodook
Mormodook Member Posts: 130
edited 2. Apr 2014, 08:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have always wanted to play an instrument and today I took the plunge. I've thought a lot about what one to pick and I decided that the best option for me to fit in with the arthritis was a trombone. My hands are always sore so that ruled out any instruments with keys etc to press so that is why I settled on a trombone as it slides ! ( so I think !) Anyway I bought a second hand one today much to the amusement of my family ! Does anyone on the forum play any instruments with their arthritis or condition ? I want to prove to them that I can do it! It's not the arthritis they are laughing at its me with an actual trombone - I know it's an peculiar choice and rather loud ! I just hope the RA doesn't decide to mess it up !

Comments

• vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Mormodook

I've never played one of my own but I did try my sons and I managed quite well. The only other one is a bugle I think but not as much fun. I hope you manage well and have fun with it :D
    Vonski
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Good for you, Mormodook! I am an ex-musician, I used to play the piano, the clarinet and the double bass but not, alas, all at the same time. :wink: I still have the clarinet but it hasn't been out of its case for years - you've set me wondering . . . . . DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Way to go,good on you ,hope it's not too bad for family and friends. :lol: Mig
  • HannahT
    HannahT Member Posts: 38
    Good on you Mormodook! Not letting arthritis get in the way of accomplishing something you always wanted to do.

I haven't played an instrument since school, but I do sing a lot. I did a bit of Googling and there seems to be a lot written on the best instruments for arthritis hands. Also, how playing and listening to music was very therapeutic for such conditions.

Interesting ......

Might think about taking up an instrument myself:)
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Good for you! I can play the clarinet. Unfortunately I broke it pre-arthritis so couldn't play it now anyway :lol:
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Good on ya Mormodook, the only thing I ever learned to play was the recorder at school, even if the fingers were willing I don't think the grey matter would :lol: xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Well done you-go for it! I always wanted to learn to play keyboard when I retired, but have wonky fingers so I've given up on that ambition-have to settle for singing loudly and annoying the OH :lol: . I wanted to learn to paint too-but apart from wonky fingers I also have zero artistic ability so maybe not.

Deb x
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Hi Mormodook,

I'm with the others – go for it! The trombone is such a beautiful instrument, sight and sound. I used to play all sorts of stuff, but nothing from the brass section as Dad reckoned little bro on his trumpet was more than enough noise for the village. Today I have my trusty mini-keyboard for when I'm in composition mode and I love to whistle too :)

Hope it goes well,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • Mormodook
    HannahT wrote:
    Good on you Mormodook! Not letting arthritis get in the way of accomplishing something you always wanted to do.

I haven't played an instrument since school, but I do sing a lot. I did a bit of Googling and there seems to be a lot written on the best instruments for arthritis hands. Also, how playing and listening to music was very therapeutic for such conditions.

Interesting ......

Might think about taking up an instrument myself:)

What was meant to be the best one HannahT ? Cheers :)
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    I'd like to play the cello like the girl who is with the
    Carolina Chocolate Drops. You can see them and her
    on Tube8.
  • HannahT
    HannahT Member Posts: 38
    Hi Mormodook,

Not sure if I can post the actual links to the sites I had a look at. Here is a brief list of instruments that could be played by someone suffering from arthritis:

Panpipes
    Learning to compose music using your computer and mouse, and 'play' back your tune
    Harmonica
    Autoharp
    Theremin
    slide guitar
    singing

There was no best one mentioned just discussions on what could be played if hands were affected by arthritis.

I used this search term 'best instruments for arthritic hands'.

Quite a bit came up. Maybe have a Google :) and see if anything takes your fancy. But the trombone still sounds like a good choice!

H
  • ichabod6
    Hello Mormodook,

You've got me going again.
    Once upon a time and long ago I put a ten shillings deposit
    on a trombone. I had to recover it, because a few days later
    my wife told me she was pregnant and the ten bob went towards
    buying a pram.
    So I was reduced to playing the mouth organ which I havent done
    for years; but your post has prompted me to give it a go.
    I cant suck and blow with the same ferocity as in years past and
    my arthritic fingers dont cup the instrument with the old tenderness.
    BUT I am giving it a go. The problem is my grand daughter doesnt
    recognise the tunes I am playing.
  • Mormodook
    Glad to hear that ichabod6 ! We can start an arthritic band together ! I've now had 3 lessons self taught needless to say ! I'm not sure if I'd give up the day job yet though !!! A bit of good fun always helps ! :mrgreen:
  • ichabod6
    Hello Mormodook,

Listen to Chris Barber blowing Sweet Georgia Brown as a trombone
    solo. I think you may be impressed.