Dibba dibba dingo!

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 3. Apr 2014, 04:46 in Community Chit-chat archive
Not I'n my wildest dreams did I'd ever think I'd manage it but last Sunday I was on me tri-band 11M CB and came across a really faint station from Australia so I checked all me setup was at maximum power and put out a call with a dim hope of getting the guy only to have him call me back!, Pert Western Australia is now an official red pin on me DX'ing map of the world, its about 3 times as far as my furthest contact in Africa, I was actually shacking while I tried to get the guy, my signal wasn't strong but he confirmed he heard me, now with that bit of history made I'm now planning to build myself a Skypper beam and replace my 5/8th wave I'm using at the moment.

One chuffed mellman. :mrgreen:

Comments

• toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,123
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    How very Tony Hancock :mrgreen:

Did you get much of a conversation or was the mere achievement enough in itself & never mind if 'hello I'm [cb handle] in the UK' was about as far as it went.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    dibba dibba dingo indeed ..that's brilliant...I always thought CBs weren't that powerful shows what I know...hope you can get through again.. :) its fascinating, keep us updated..
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Wow Mel you're the man. Mig
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Hi all cheers for the replies!, didn't get much chance to say much as the skip gate was closing, ironically I found the guy's call sign and profile on the very same DX'ing group I'm a member off and its him alright as I heard him say his name was Mike and he's in Perth, I'm waiting for a reply from the forum MOD's as I want to e mail him to get a QSL card from him. I know its sad but I still have a fascination with radio, it comes from when I was a nipper I use to listen to short wave and I loved all the hiss and crackles from far off stations in exotic locations and the wonder has never really left me if I'm honest.Right now I'm planning a new aerial, either a Skypper or a Yagi beam, it will cost but that will be it as its the best set up you can have and to be honest I've always wanted a beam so now I have the garden and time to finally get one!.
    All I need to do now is get the wife to agree to it!.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Mell its far from sad, its a brilliant hobby and a good distraction .. :D I remember well the short wave radio my brother used to mess about with them and take them to pieces.. that was that....you enjoy..its very exciting...
    Love
    Barbara