new to this byt not arthritis

craignash1981
craignash1981 Member Posts: 9
edited 22. Apr 2014, 06:43 in Say Hello Archive
Hello.

Just recently I've been really suffering with my arthritis. I had been diagnosed over two years ago. After different treatment and meds. I am now on biologics. But still don't find it any better. I have had to reduce my how's at work and it's impacting my family life as well. Is there any thing I can do to ease the pain or try. Desperate times now. Thanks in andvance.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Craig. I'm sorry your arthritis is playing up. I guess you'll know that there's a big chasm between disease activity and pain. I know I've seen my rheumatologist when I've thought the pain unbearable only to be told that according to the blood tests I'm doing OK :? I think, if the meds are controlling the disease, it all boils down to the level of pain we can each tolerate. If you're continuing to work full time you're doing well but, yes, I can see how that would take its toll and there probably won't be much left of you for family life.

What pain relief do you take? Is it worth asking for a change? There are all sorts of pain techniques - meditation, exercises, acupuncture etc but they are all limited in their usefulness. If you look here you might find something helpful http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Selfmanagement
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • craignash1981
    Hello. Thanks for getting back to me. Was always a bit cautious of these forums (don't know why). But your right. There isn't much left of me for the family. It makes it harder due to having two wee boys who are very active and don't understand. Currently I am on humera? Also sulfazalazine. As for pain relief I've tried all the one over the counter as well as tramadol. But nothing seems to ease it. I have had to reduce my hours from full time down to part time. I just do t want to keep going back to the docs what would seem every two mins.
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Hi Craig;

That is indeed a tough situation. I worked full-time as long as I could but had virtually no life outside of work. It became impossible to do my job so had to leave which helped a lot but of course, it was a huge financial blow.

I take a variety of pain meds, the thinking is that since they all work differently I will get better pain control overall. I'm still very painful and not able to work. Hopefully I'll be starting biologics in the near future.

Are you on your first biologic? Maybe you can try another to see if the results are better?

Sorry not to be of more help. It's not fun.
  • craignash1981
    Yeah is definitely a tough one. I am just lost in what to do. This is the first Biologics that I am on. Got a follow up appointment in a couple of weeks. Don't know if it's just a case of wait for it to get in the system.

Thanks for replying. Been much help.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi, I'm on a triple therapy (humira, injected meth and sulph) and have had to stop work thanks to my PsA etc just getting too much to manage. I know that the meds are working because my bloods are beautiful but I don't recognise any other benefit. I have to use a rollator when out and about because I can no longer walk without aids. I've been on this lot for four years now but my condition has continued to deteriorate because I began them far too late for any real difference to be made - plus I also have osteo.

I keep my pain relief to a minimum because nothing will ever truly get rid of it - the stronger the relief the more you are removed from the pain and not vice versa. I prefer to be aware of my pain levels so I can ease back on activities when it's becoming too much. It's not easy living with and in constant pain but one can adjust and learn to make the best of the better days whenever they deign to turn up. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Hi craignash1981
    pleased to meet you, yes ive found that over time the meds get into
    our system ,im on triple meds lef/met/hum/ and sometimes the pain
    can be so bad the pain meds dont touch it and if they do it dont last.
    i have used voltarol pain relief cream, and does help me,downside is it dont
    last only 5 10 mins ,but for me that has helped even if only short while.
    im 62 and had to stop working at 60. i have PsA.
    how long have you been on your meds, i have recently started humira
    8 weeks so time will tell. not without side effects .
    i to diagnosed 2 years ago .
    i to like dd keep pain relief to minimum , and try to get by (not always tho)
    hope pain eases somewhat ... mike. :roll:
  • craignash1981
    Hello. Thanks for getting in touch. I'm only on the humera, and sulfzalazine. Find that the pain relief either doesn't last or don't make any odds. I don't want to be like a human pill bottle. Lol. I am only 32, and find that the pain is too much. I've only been on the biologics for about the same time. So hopefully start work I g soon.
  • Francie7532
    Francie7532 Member Posts: 40
    I also have trouble controlling the pain aside from the medications. I have found that yoga and meditation really help me, you know "mind over matter". I know that they both sound hokey, but I gave it a try and the difference was noticeble. I have been doing both (at my arthritic pace) and have found it helped right away and helps every time I do it. I try to do it every morning and every night for 1/2 hour. Good Luck!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    If you have another appt. in two weeks I sugest you use the intervening period to gather information together about what hurts when and in relation to things done or not done. You rheumatologist will probably do a/some blood tests to see how the meds are or are not working. It might be that they need adjusting. I'm not quite sure, from what you've written, how long you've been on the humira/sulph combo but it might be that you're hoping for too much too soon. These meds can take some weeks to kick in.

If your blood results are OK then it is down to pain relief and that's a matter for your GP. It's a real balancing act between taking enough for them to be effective and not taking so many that you are zonked out. However, it's the GP's job to help sort you out. Be careful of over-the-counter meds because, although you will not get the stronger ones which the GP can prescribe, you could end up with something that clashes with your humira and sulph. Pharmacists are very good at advising on such things though.

I well understand the 'two small boys' thing as I did it many years ago. As I told many people, small boys don't make allowances for your disabilities: they exploit their advantage to the full :roll: I found the key was to adapt ie I could still play cricket but I made a better keeper (sitting down) than I did a batsman though, as my fingers got twisted, I developed a pretty good underarm legbreak :wink: I could manage very limited garden football but excelled at being scorer for all sorts of games. My 7yr old grandson loves to play footie with me in their long hall as he can always win but I can just put up enough resistance to make the game interesting.

I think that, basically, anything that takes your mind off the pain is good. For me, cricket reigns supreme but whatever rocks your boat :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Craig
    Sorry I wont be any help with the meds has I have OA,you will find that the people on this forum are so supportive ..so you ask away ..best to put questions in Living with Arthritis..wishing you well with everything..
    Love
    Barbara