Hedgehogs.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 27. Jun 2014, 11:48 in Community Chit-chat archive
Aren't they noisy little beasts? We were awoken at 2am by the shrieks, grunts, snorts and snuffles of a hedgehog either defending his territory or getting something horrible wrong in the attempt to produce the next generation. You would not believe that noises that loud could come from something so small - mind you, human babies are pretty loud too when feeling discontented. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh DD, I had around six that would come into my garden just for food, then a couple started to nest for hibernation so a friend of mine built a kennal for them and another couple moved in and the racket they made in the night was incredible, one night I watched them using the garden as a race track snorting and grunting so, mine became the *knocking garden*
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Oh they do! I remember once, in my youthful camping days, there was utter mayhem going on at the other side of the canvas and it proved to be, not a mad axe murderer, but a hedgehog or two.

There is something totally endearing about them though and they are very endangered now. In recent autumns we have taken about 3 young juveniles to our nearest Hedgehog Preservation Society person. If they are wandering about in the daytime they have a problem. Often it's that Mum's been killed and the baby isn't too clued up on how to survive.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    We had hedgehogs nesting in a border at our old house and one night were awoken by a similar racket. We looked out of the window and one hog was chasing another down the path by the back door: then they hit the patio where the security light came on and they froze in their tracks. We were hoping that they would don top hats and someone in the wings would throw them a couple of canes but, alas, no.

Mr Pinsvind (for I am sure it was he making that row) has his own little compact and bijou wooden chalet which, hopefully, will become home to a Mrs P and little hoglets. Ah, the patter of sharp tiny claws across the patio may soon be heard (DD wanders off, feeling broody; don't worry chaps, that mood won't last long :wink:) DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    How could he fail to attract a lady with such a des res? Please keep us updated, DD.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    At my previous house I had the added bonus of a percussion accompaniment. The neighbours left food out for their cats in stainless steel bowls with the fork still in that they used to hoick the gloop out of the food tins.My bedroom was at the back of the house which being a terrace meant that their(concrete) back yard was very close - especially late at night when Mrs Tiggywinkle dropped in for dinner.The fork and bowls would be pursued round the yard until every last scrap of food was removed.
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Aren't the just gorgeous, I spent many hours with the kitchen door open with the cats just watching them come in for food then wander off. I had a hole cut in the bottom of the back gate for one of my cats because he wasn't able to jump so the hogs used to use that as their access point
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • dreamdaisy
    I was sitting out in the garden last night, around 10.15, thinking about my daddy (he died twelve years ago yesterday) when there was much rustling in the undergrowth along the raised flowerbed that faces the house. I wondered if it was a cat, mice or - heaven forfend - a rat or two when a shape launched itself towards the lawn and, on twinkling little legs, shot across to the rose bed outside the dining room French doors. Mr Pinsvind in all his prickly glory! :D I knew he was around (he leaves evidence of his presence :wink: ) but had not seen him. I hope he's found his des. res. under the conifers. DD

PS Pinsvind is the Danish for hedgehog, 'pin' as in twig and 'svin' as in swine.
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Please don't shoot me anyone but I steer well clear of hedgehogs. I used to like them, but saw a TV programme where the camera zoomed in on a square inch of hedgehog and they calculated the number of fleas in that square inch. Yuck!

I wouldn't hurt them - I am an animal lover - but I'd rather not come across one.

Years ago the cat at the time I had, managed to trap a hedgehog in the corner of the garden. We thought murder was being committed. Very high pitched screaming/squeeling noise. We got the cat indoors, and opened the gate so the hedgehog could disappear. From what I can remember of his speed, I think he was very pleased at being able to escape.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • jen9432
    jen9432 Bots Posts: 37
    I asked my husband this morning if he heard our neighbours special needs child fighting with his brother in our back yard early this morning. He said he heard it but it wasn't children fighting. He had got up to see and he saw two cats mating, or fighting, meowing, mewling, screeching, and ??? in our back yard. They made quite a mess, our back yard looks like the next morning after a frat party! They got into a small wading pool with 4 blow up floaties for the kids and ripped them all to shreds. There was orange, red and blue plastic bits all over our back yard, including up the tree. Looked a bit like a post apocalyptic circus. I had no idea cats could make those unrecognizable sounds or such a mess. We are still laughing. :lol::lol::lol: