Methotrexate - Humira - Otezla

Kare
Kare Member Posts: 8
edited 25. Jun 2014, 13:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone, I have PsA & RA. I was on methotrexate & Humira injections. But, 1.5 week ago stopped those & am trying the new Otezla (apremilast). I feel like I am having strange side effects but, do not necessarily think it is the new med as much as coming off the Methotrexate & Humira. (as it reminds me of when I started those 2) Anyway ... does anyone else have any thought on this? or anything they can share... :?:

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello again, Kare :) I'm not sure but I don't think this drug is licensed for use in the UK for PsA though it might be for simply psoriasis. This is the conclusion on the Arthritis Research UK site (A trustworthy one). I give the page reference as you might like to read the full article and, indeed, might make more sense of it than I did :oops:

"Although earlier smaller studies have shown that this drug can be effective this is the first large phase three study. However, although the results from this trial are interesting, they are relatively modest.” - See more at: http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/news/general-news/2013/june/long-term-apremilast-effective-in-psoriatic-arthritis.aspx#sthash.8Dq6Mf4z.dpuf
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    As it is OA I have and a bit of other rubbish I am afraid I can't help with your question I just want to welcome you to a great forum, nice to meet you, hope to see you around..................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Kare
    Hey stickywicket :D
    Thank you for the info-/ web article - I do hope this new drug helps... (The FDA in the USA released the Otezla the end of March/2014). I did not realize it was not released everywhere.

Humm- :idea: Do you think a log of sorts on here following my thoughts /progress - may help others (being that it is so new). :?:
  • Kare
    Hi Marie :D
    Thank you for the nice welcome!
    Much appreciated !!!
  • stickywicket
    I hope it helps too and, as for the log, that would be a really kind, helpful thing for others, especially useful if you put it all on one thread. Good luck with it :D
    Steven Wright
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Hello & welcome Kare,

I have OA, PsA & FM. I've just had my 2nd injection of my first biologic, Ustekinumab. No one knows much about mine either coz it's one of the newer ones that's been given the all clear for use over here.

I've primarily been put on it to control my highly unstable psoriasis, it's doing a fab job at that so far but no help with the PsA as yet.

Wot sort of problems are you having since stopping ure double therapy? I came off of 25mg oral mtx last year with no ill effects, luckily.

I'd be very interested if you did a thread on how ure getting on & feeling etc Do make sure you join in else where to tho ... It's a great, friendly forum :D

I look forward to seeing you around ... I'm off to read the article SW posted for you :)

(((Hugs)))

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Kare
    Hi Debbie T,
    Thank you for the hello & welcome!

I have not heard of Ustekinumab - Would appreciate an update on how you are doing from time to time.

Have a good day- Kare

*** As for my side effects... I still am not sure if they are a result of coming off the Humira or Methotrexate or the new Otezla.
    I just do not feel right, the first 2+ weeks- I had several dizzy spells and just felt very off head sort floaty. I am still having odd headaches & Very loose bm's. But, those 2 are listed as Otezla side effects.
    I am also having added swelling, tingling, and joint pain.
    *I really am not sure how long I should give this new med- I do not feel well.
  • stickywicket
    It's difficult not knowing. Here in UK you would have a rheumatology helpline that you could ring for advice but I don't know whether or not that will be the case where you are.

For the record, I've come off methotrexate once or twice before operations and never experienced any ill-effects but then I tolerate it very well in the first place.
    Steven Wright
  • Kare
    **** FOLLOW UP____ :?

Okay so I gave it a good try... 2.5 months.
    I had to discontinue the OTEZLA- I just could not tolerate it.
    (always in the bathroom, cramped, headaches, weak, light headed, episodes of rapid heart rate)
    My psoriasis came back & arthritis flared up as well.

Going back on Humira- & injectable Methotrexate this time.

Hope all of you are well.

Karen
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Just wanted to say welcome to the forum from me too..

I hope things have started to settle down now you're back on the old routine.

Xx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    Sorry to hear it didn't work out. I hope you get better results with the humira and meth.
    Steven Wright