NICE against certain painkillers

Options
knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 22. May 2014, 16:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Have just received an email detailing the PULSE report that NICE warns against prescribing paracetamol, diclofenec and other NSAID's, plus glucosomaine and chondroitin for the relief of pain caused by OA.

Sorry, but as long as my doctor is happy to prescribe them, then I will continue to take them as they manage my pain effectively. Personally, I would rather have quality of life now rather than quantity later on.

How do you feel?

Lovely day here in Essex, but waiting for the "drastic" showers as mentioned on local radio this morning. Drastic is obviously the new name for heavy :lol: .

Janet xx

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Janet ..its lovely hear in the North West but rained earlier..I cant take the diclos because of kidney damage..I think has long as we know the dangers ,we still need the relief so..I recon most people in pain will carry on taking them..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I was on diclofenac but my GPs no longer prescribe them. More recently I've been on a high dose of Naproxen but following a Gastrocopy today have been told I can no longer take NSAIDS due to damage. Off to the GP tomorrow to see what he suggests.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I don't think this is new but I'm another it doesn't affect as NSAIDS damaged my stomach years ago so I can't take them now.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Surely we all know that paracetamol is dangerous but there again so is a high-fat and/or high-sugar diet, drinking too much alcohol, smoking, inhaling glue, being run over or meeting a dangerous axe murderer in a dark alley (he was on day-release but chose not to return :wink: ).

Life itself is risky, end of. I'm with you, Knuckleduster, if it helps in the short-term then forget the long-term because for us it isn't/won't be much fun. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Bovey
    Bovey Member Posts: 25
    Options
    I just wish clinical decisions were left to the clinicians and NICE didn't exist. Perhaps not everyone will agree but as an AS sufferer who lives each day in dread of losing the only anti TNF I am allowed I don't care for their sometimes strange decisions. If I had RA I could switch to another anti TNF if this one failed me, but I have AS so am not allowed despite research showing trying an alternative anti TNF can work. Surely rheumatologists and your own GP's are able to determine the best treatment, or are NICE really there just to keep costs down.
    So on that note I'm taking my paracetamol/codeine (shock horror) stuck on my fentanyl patch ( probably even more shock horror) and am heading out to the garden. The weather is gorgeous and sunbathing beckons ( on no mustn't sit in the sun either!).
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Higher up this page is Arthritis Care's response to the Nice Press Release of 12th Feb. It's among the sticky announcements.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    Options
    My GP changed me back to diclofenac from Naproxen as the latter did not suit me. he said the only reason why they didn't have the same warnings for Naproxen is that there had not been a recent study done it. He said as long as Diclofenac works for me, he is happy to prescribe it.
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Bovey wrote:
    I just wish clinical decisions were left to the clinicians and NICE didn't exist. Perhaps not everyone will agree but as an AS sufferer who lives each day in dread of losing the only anti TNF I am allowed I don't care for their sometimes strange decisions. If I had RA I could switch to another anti TNF if this one failed me, but I have AS so am not allowed despite research showing trying an alternative anti TNF can work. Surely rheumatologists and your own GP's are able to determine the best treatment, or are NICE really there just to keep costs down.
    So on that note I'm taking my paracetamol/codeine (shock horror) stuck on my fentanyl patch ( probably even more shock horror) and am heading out to the garden. The weather is gorgeous and sunbathing beckons ( on no mustn't sit in the sun either!).

NICE is basically just there to advise the NHS on the most "cost effective" treatments for certain diseases/conditions etc etc. I also have AS and share your frustration that NICE seem to limit people with AS to only 2 TNF drugs when other types of Arthritis has recommendations for 3 or 4 and some even 5 different TNF drugs. I know for sure that its not just us who share the frustrations my old doctor used to also as there is a lot of research showing how effective most TNF drugs are at helping to manage AS.
    Have just received an email detailing the PULSE report that NICE warns against prescribing paracetamol, diclofenec and other NSAID's, plus glucosomaine and chondroitin for the relief of pain caused by OA.

Sorry, but as long as my doctor is happy to prescribe them, then I will continue to take them as they manage my pain effectively. Personally, I would rather have quality of life now rather than quantity later on.

How do you feel?

Lovely day here in Essex, but waiting for the "drastic" showers as mentioned on local radio this morning. Drastic is obviously the new name for heavy :lol: .

Janet xx
    Sounds really silly to me, this decision should be left down to the patient and the doctor. If they don't prescribe these drugs then they will find an alternative which will also pose its risks. The fact is there isn't any medication out there that has no risk to it.