After Naproxen?

YWD
YWD Member Posts: 32
edited 30. May 2014, 06:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
My GP has changed his diagnosis from PsA to RA. the Naproxen don't make any difference to the pain. i am making an appointment to see the GP for a referral to a rheumatologist... but in general, what meds would he prescribe if Naproxen isn't working?

Comments

• As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    There is plenty of things a Rheumatologist can do, Naproxen is just one of many Non steroid anti inflammatory drugs. The Rheumatologist will probably want to send you for some tests to give their own diagnosis and then go from there. Many people will be given Disease-modifying Antirheumatic Drugs.

These should help with the pain eventually, but im sorry to say there is no quick fix and its one of those things where it's totally down to luck trying to find the right medication that works for you.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello YWD and welcome to the forum
    Sorry I wont be wont be much help but I am sure others will be along soon, I am finding out how complex this arthritis is..I do wish you well for the future..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Naproxen is just an anti-inflammatory (NSAID). A rheumatologist is likely to prescribe a Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drug (DMARD) such as methotrexate, sulphasalazine, hydroxychloroquine. Your GP can't prescribe these but they help to dampen down the disease and are very important in terms of preventing future damage.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    There are many forms of auto-immune arthritis but the same meds are used for all of them. Your GP won't necessarily be aware of the available range (and he cannot prescribe them) so I hope you see a rheumatologist soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben