Newly Diagnosed RA

FionaP
FionaP Member Posts: 39
edited 30. May 2014, 05:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all,

I have had OA in my back and neck since my 20's and have had surgery on my back.

I've just been (today) diagnosed with RA, after a sudden onset in all joints in October and flare up in April that has left me with great difficulty walking, using my hands etc. Anyway I have some questions if that's ok.

I had a steroid injection there and then and have been put on Methotrexate and sulphasalazine and am wondering when would be the best time to take them? (ie morning or night). How did you feel after taking them?

No doubt I will have more questions over time.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Fi
x

Comments

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Fiona; I'm on injectable mtx now, but the oral I took with an evening meal and counted on sleeping through most of the nastiness it through my way. The next day was not one where I had any commitments/plans. The side-effects seemed to lessen as the months went on. Be sure to take pharmaceutical grade folic acid but not on the day you take your mtx.

Good news is that some people seem to have no side-effects at all. Hope you are one of these :)

Anna
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh dear, I am sorry to read this but given the nature of what's been happening I am not surprised. :( I remember when I began sulph it was one tablet in the morning for one week, then one in the morning and one in the evening for one week; gradually the dose was increased but always with the next step in the morning. Many on here take their meth in the evening so they sleep through any nasties; the only nasty I had was a rash.

This is a big deal, yes? ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    A difficult question as everybody seems have their own particular best time and I am not sure that you will get a definitive answer. I only have methotrexate to contend with and always take it with breakfast as it suits my preference and for no other reason.
    Hopefully work being done looking at medicine timing and a possible connection with the body clock will throw some light on the subject though answers will probably be some time off.
  • FionaP
    Thank you so much for the replies. :D

I shall have a go at taking it in the evenings and see what happens.

DD, I have the same instructions with weekly increasing of sulph.
    I also have frolic acid to take once a week, which I believe needs to be taken on a different day from the mex.

To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel at the moment. I'm relieved to have a diagnosis and 'proper' treatment started, but am waiting for reality to hit!

X
    Fi
    x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ah, frolic acid - I could do with some of that! :wink: I know that FA should not be taken on the same day as the meth, some on here take it once a week, others more often but never on the same day; finding what suits you will take a little while and who knows? You may turn out to be like me in that I don't need it.

It takes time to accept and doing so is not easy. :( I am 'fortunate' in that I have a lifetime of auto-immune rubbish so, although it was a shock when I eventually gained an explanation of what was going on, it didn't come as that big a surprise - just more of the same-old-same-old.

We'll be here when reality hits, OK? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You'll find what suits you best in time. I've always done my meth in the mornings, with breakfast and no problems. The following day I might feel tired. I take my FA the next day and also three days later (I've always been told to do it twice a week). Follow whatever instructions you've been given and be very conscientious about the blood tests. Good luck :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • FionaP
    Thank you xxx
    Fi
    x
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Hi FionaP - sorry you have had a diagnosis of RA. Hopefully the DMARDs will get it well controlled after a few months. The hardest bit for me has been accepting a disease that seems to change and fluctuate continually. It is really good to have this forum to turn to for support. I only took Sulfa for three weeks and had an allergic reaction to it. Methotrexate I always take last thing at night because it makes me feel a bit sick so at least I can sleep of the worst of it. Methotrexate works very effectively for me although I take it by injection. Good luck X
    If you get lemons, make lemonade