Hi another newbie with oa

jamart
jamart Member Posts: 27
edited 8. Jun 2014, 15:09 in Say Hello Archive
Hi am 51 and was diagnosed with arthritis in my knees about 4 years ago, they are painful but don't give me to much bother. Then 2 year ago I found out I had it in my subtalar joint as well, its really painful and I have a very bad limp. I had a cortisone injection in it that was done under local anathetic with xray assistance, it only lasted as a pain relief for 2 1/2 weeks. :( I go back to see the consultant in July and as he suggested a fusion operation the first time I think he'll advise it again. I was wondering if any one else has had this done and what the outcome was. I was taking naprozen tablets but after stomach problems stopped taking them and now have paracetamol. :)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, I've answered your post on LWA not realising you were here too! I have two kinds of arthritis so am in a different-albeit-similar boat to you. I began my troubles in 1997 with an auto-immune arthritis and OA was confirmed in 2011. It's not fun. :wink:

The meds I take for the auto don't affect the OA, that is 'managed' with pain relief and diclofenac (an anti-inflammatory). I've had surgery but not of your proposed type, if you put that term into the search function on LWA any thread relating to it will be brought up. I wish you well and look forward to seeing your name here and there around the boards. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jamart
    jamart Member Posts: 27
    Hi I hadn't relaised that I'd posted in two different rooms! :D am struggling at the moment with accepting that this is going to be a life long thing, and really frustrated with the fact that I carnt do things I used to do. None of my family or friends know much about arthiritus so don't understand how I must be feeling. Its nice to be able to read about other peoples experiences.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I started my first life-long thing aged 18 months, my second aged 7 so these two just carried on the same old pattern. I count myself very lucky in that I have no idea what good health feels like so I don't know what I'm missing: for someone who does it must be very tough.

Over the years I've lost the physical ability to do the things I used to love, walking, cycling, dancing, playing tennis and holding hands with my husband. I can do the latter when we're sat on the sofa or summat, but when we're out and about my hands are occupied with crutches or rollator handles - so not romantic. :wink: I am grateful, however, for the things I can still do such as cleaning, cooking, laundry and shopping although I have had to change the way I do things (and the kit with which I do them) to make life easier. I pace myself, I use pain levels as a feedback so I know when to stop and take a rest. I don't bang on about my arthritis because it's a very boring topic; I have it, end of. I know that my husband feels helpless but he is very supportive and understands when I cannot do much (today is one of those days). Hey-ho, onwards and sideways! :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello jamart
    And a warm welcome form me, I had to stop the antiinflams because of kidney probs so I do feel for you ...glad you have joined us the people on here are so friendly and supportive and that really helps... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • jen9432
    jen9432 Bots Posts: 37
    Welcome Jamart,

My father had exactly that surgery 2 years ago. They fused two bones together in his foot (the talus bone and I can't remember the name of the other bone). After recovering from the surgery, he had a lot of physio to keep the rest of the muscles strong. He did his exercises non weight bearing. So he either put his foot up and did them in the air or he did exercises in the pool. After 3 months he was walking without pain although he still had a slight limp. He uses a cane now, but still has no pain. His ankle and foot don't move very much and are very stiff but he is happy with the mobility that he has. Good luck!!