Being sent for tests

swones
swones Member Posts: 7
edited 3. Jul 2014, 15:11 in Say Hello Archive
Good afternoon all,

Just found this site while googling arthritis, I went to the Dr's this morning regarding some joint pain iv been having for past few weeks (few years on and off) and I am off for blood tests in the morning to check for osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid arthritis. I have had joint pain for years but every Dr I have seen has just said to try more exercise and given me anti inflammatories.

The other day I was doing some DIY and when I tried to bend down to change my babies nappy I could not put any pressure on my knees as it felt like someone was stabbing them with a red hot iron that was the reason I went to the Dr's.

Being told the possibility of having arthritis has hit me quite hard being only 30years old (I no age is no guarantee for health) I have always been active and keeping this going has been more and more hard work as of late
I think that I was hoping maybe it was something treatable that would cure.

How have you managed to get your head around that you have been diagnosed with something for the rest of your life (I understand that I could be in far worse health)

Sorry for rambling on I'm not normally this doom and gloom lol...

Thanks for taking time to read my post :):)

Comments

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Swones; welcome to the forum and I'm sorry to hear you have some type of arthritis. Working with a good doctor that you can talk to can really help your outcome and how you manage with your diagnosis. I hope you have a good one to help.
    swones wrote:
    I think that I was hoping maybe it was something treatable that would cure.

I think we all wish for this.....
    swones wrote:
    How have you managed to get your head around that you have been diagnosed with something for the rest of your life (I understand that I could be in far worse health)

I think this comes with time and realising you do not have a choice but to live with your condition. Yes, it could be worse but that fact does not diminish the severity and life-changing effect arthritis has on a person. Give yourself time and treat your body well.

Best wishes.
    Anna
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello swones and a warm welcome from me , only sorry you had to look for us in the first place ,I am many years older than you at 64 :o still cant believe it,but you are right age doesn't come into it with Arthritis, we have many young people on here.
    Like you I was many years before any test were done , but now you are having the blood test done, things should be a bit clearer, then you know were you stand,, then you can get some proper help, I do hope you stay with us ..its good to talk to people that understand,and you will get lots of info of the forum..I hope to see you posting more very soon..just jump in :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • swones
    Evening, well had my tests yesterday and hopefully will get results tomorrow. Never felt so nervous but got amazing support from my wife and my sons smile will always cheer me up

Will keep you updated
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope you don't have to stay with us. :wink: I'm in the fortunate position that I have no idea what good health feels like so when I began my arthritis it was just more of the same-old-same-old. I am eighteen years in now and obviously wish things were different but they're not so I have to get on with it.

Please let us know what your test results show but don't get your hopes up too high: if you have an auto-immune version such as RA then it can be tricky to diagnose - there are around 200 kinds of auto-immune arthritis. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • swones
    Morning :) well hopefully I will get the results today.

Thank you for the msgs of support, I will be stopping round and probably asking all the same question that everyone asks.

Hope everyone enjoys the sunshine today I'm off shopping with my little one to buy things he doesn't need yet lol
  • swones
    Well got my results and all clear so back to dr's on Monday for a further consultation I'm partially relived but now worried as to what it could be

The plot thikens lol
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello again swones, sometimes all we need is answers..and I hope you get them very soon..yes a smile can cure everything...well nearly :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • mzjones
    mzjones Bots Posts: 38
    swones wrote:
    Good afternoon all,

Sorry for rambling on I'm not normally this doom and gloom lol...

Thanks for taking time to read my post :):)

I don't have arthritis (my disclaimer) but I do have a chronic illness and I am also in my 30s. I am here searching for information for my dad.. who is computer illiterate and I am his health advocate. ...

But I also personally have my own struggles, so I believe I can completely understand what your are going through. When I was first diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, I guess I took it for granted that it would change the rest of my life. My symptoms (lupus related) were so bad that my initial concern was how will I manage. Then it was how will I take care of my kids.. eventually I may get to the point where I say I'm only 30x why the heck is this happening to me!!

Maybe I'll get to that point.. but right now I am still trying to keep food on the table.
  • swones
    Was back at the dr's today now off for an X-ray at some point!
  • swones
    Well had some x-rays and they all show as normal, now as fibro runs in my family there is a possibility it could be this! This has hit me quite hard as I have seen my mum suffer with this and at times it takes over her life!

Other than that hope everyone is enjoying the sun when it's out :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think that's good news, swones. I don't have fibro and I know it's unpleasant but I don't think it does permanent damage to joints. Have a read. http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/AboutArthritis/Conditions/AboutArthritis/Conditions/Fibromyalgia

Enjoy the sun? Alas, no, not those of us on methotrexate :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright