Just moved to the UK and fellow OA newbie

Options
LisaW
LisaW Bots Posts: 37
edited 12. Jun 2014, 15:39 in Say Hello Archive
Hello, I'm Lisa and a fellow OA sufferer. I am new to this forum but have been active on US arthritis forums before moving to the UK. When I say just moved it really has been 6 months now.

My pain is moderate to severe in both my hips and knees. At times I am really sad and angry about it and at other times completely accepting of my plight. I just keep telling myself how blessed I am in so many other ways.

I just wanted to introduce myself and hope I would be able to seek advice from others here as to how it all works for an OA sufferer in the UK. I have made a few friends but none with arthritis, so was hoping the forum could be that friend.

bye for now .....

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's lovely to meet you and well done on finding us - of course we'll be your friends! :)

I have two kinds of arthritis, an auto-immune one and that has led to OA in both hips, both knees, both ankles and elsewhere too. In the UK it's the GP who deals with OA, and by 'deals with' I mean you are given pain relief, maybe an anti-inflammatory med and advice on diet and exercise. Once things get too bad new joints may be offered if you meet the criteria. I saw your name earlier on the ChitChat board, if you look on the Living with Arthritis board you will find the part where we deal with meds, doctors, hospitals, ops etc. and where we can also let off steam about the general dross this malarkey brings in its wake. I look forward to seeing your name here and there, and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hello Lisa and welcome from me too. I think it's a lovely idea to have the forum as your 'arthritic friend'. I have actually made some very good cyber friends on here. It's a good place to be.

Like DD, I got greedy and ended up with two kinds of arthritis :roll: My hips and knees were replaced some time ago and that makes those bits very much easier to deal with but I recall the years leading up to my knee replacements as the worst. You can't do much without knees :)

I think we all get good and bad days and good and bad times in general. We can't all be Pollyanna every day. (Thank God :lol: ) You'll find good support here. You might find some of these publications helpful http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbysubject Or, if you've any questions, just ask away on the Living With Arthritis forum.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Lisa
    Welcome and I look forward to seeing you on Living with arthritis.......you'll get more information from that forum.
    I've had 2 hip replacements. OA in ankles neck and back as well.
    We do have good days and bad days.......you'll learn how to cope with it and manage it.
    Just shout if you have any specific questions
    Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Lisa and a warm welcome from me
    I have OA in my hips and spine and a couple of others places, you have come to the right place for info and support ..hope to see you around the forum... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • LisaW
    Options
    WOW, what a warm welcome from you all!!! It has made my day:) Hooray for my new cyber buddies. Feeling the pain today. On the scale of 1 to 10 (10 being absolute agony) I'm a 6. Just keep telling myself it could be worse.

Really appreciate all the advice and suggestions. You will definitely see me popping-up here and there. I'm still 'discovering' what this forum has to offer and so far I have found a lot of invaluable information in one place.

Ta for now :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    As far as support goes, I reckon we do a very good job. We all know what it's like.

A 6 isn't a good place to be but, as you so rightly say, it could be worse. Good attitude, Lisa. I reckon you'll cope well :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It was good to hear back from you, many join then never appear again. You sound as though you have the right attitude, I am currently flaring so not feeling wonderful but I know it won't last for ever - the bad times end just like the good ones. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi from me too, Lisa. Welcome, I have OA in a few joints (mainly hips) and PsA in most and my spine.

Best wishes from Canada,

Anna
  • LisaW
    Options
    Thanks Anna :)