Methotrexate stopping periods!!

emsjane
emsjane Member Posts: 351
edited 17. Jun 2014, 00:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

Sorry I haven't been on the forum for ages.

I have just recently increased my methotrexate tablets to 17.5mg a week. I'm on about the 3/4 week now and I am now 14 days late with my period! This never happens to me, I am regular as clockwork normally. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this on MTX?

I am aware that I am almost 45 years old and it could possibly be related to the 'change'. But I have had no other symptoms, like hot flushes. And for my period to just suddenly stop at the same time that I increase my MTX seems too coincidental to me!

I've spoken to the Rheumatology nurse today and I am now going onto MTX injections weekly as it has really upset my stomach. So she said see how I am on the injections and if no change get doc to check me out.

I'd be grateful if anyone has any info that will help me.
LOVE EMMA X

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Why apologise? :? I don't possess the relevant info because I'm not a doc, but because periods are hormonal (and meth dampens the immune system) I for one cannot spot a link. Mine stopped far too late but I am thankful they did.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I've never heard anyone write of missed periods on meth. Mine were long gone when I started it. The medics are the people to ask but, I guess, it might just be the start of the menopause.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • emsjane
    Thanks for your replys.

I did speak to the rheumatology nurse and it is documented that the MTX can stop your periods. Especially with the high dose like I'm on.

I think I will go to docs anyway and get checked out.
    LOVE EMMA X
  • stickywicket
    I don't think 17.5 is a very high dose, Emsjane. I do know that it's only one up from 15 which is regarded as a very safe one. I was on 22.5 for some time and that's not the highest you can go to.

Did the nurse say it can stop periods when taken for arthritis? I ask because, when taken as part of chemotherapy it's taken at much higher doses.

I think your nurse has the right idea, though. Watch and wait. Even it it were due to the meth, would it be a problem? They're going to stop soon anyway. I was happy to be rid of mine :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • lynnemarie1123
    lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
    I dont suppose you could be pregnant ? xx
  • stickywicket
    kenlawson wrote:
    I never experienced this

Ken? Am I right in thinking you're a bloke :? I've never met one yet that did :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Hi;
    I missed one period when I started mtx. I'm normally regular like clockwork too but only missed one, the next month I was back to normal.

Hope everything gets back to normal for you.
  • jojo03
    jojo03 Member Posts: 77
    Hi Emma

I'm experiencing the same thing. I started Meth in January, increased to 15mg by February, and a month or so later my period was 2 weeks late, and then when it started it lasted for 2 weeks! I've just turned 47, so like you, could be age-related, but I don't have any other symptoms.

I mentioned it to my GP and she said it wasn't worth doing a blood test to check hormone levels because they change so much throughout the month, so it's hard to get a true reading.

I'm due again any day now, but feel as though I can't be sure when to expect it!

In the big scheme of things it's not that bad, it's just more of a nuisance wondering if and when it will arrive!

Take care,
    Jo.
  • stickywicket
    It might not be due to the menopause but, if not, it's excellent preparation for it :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • emsjane
    Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I came on a week ago, in the end I was about 18 days late.
    I went to see the doc and he wasn't worried and said it could be the MTX and that he was happy to do a hormone test if I wanted but that they usually wait until a woman misses 2/3 periods before they do the hormone test.
    It will be interesting now to see if I come on next month as normal. Period was slightly heavier than normal, but I do feel that it was due to the MTX and not the menopause. I only say this as I've had no other menopause symptoms.
    So I'm feeling a lot happier now and I've also now had two weeks of MTX injections instead of tablets and I'm happy to report that my tummy is feeling a LOT happier already!
    LOVE EMMA X
  • jen9432
    jen9432 Bots Posts: 37
    Good news all around. Sometimes in short supply around here. Thanks for keeping us up to date on your status and I'm happy everything is OK. I personally can't wait for my period to stop, but nothing seems to phase it at 55!!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    There is another forum member whose daughter is currently undergoing treatment for a form of leukaemia. She is on mahoosive doses of meth (injected directly into her spine) and her periods have been absent for a while as a result. You are on a tiny amount in comparison but it may be having the same disruptive effect on you.

Oh to be an arthritic bloke. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Vickio
    Vickio Member Posts: 18
    Boomer13 wrote:
    Hi;
    I missed one period when I started mtx. I'm normally regular like clockwork too but only missed one, the next month I was back to normal.

Hope everything gets back to normal for you.

Exactly the same here. Rheumy nurse told me it was normal for your cycle to be messed around a bit in the beginning; so as you've upped your dose this might be the resson. I was on 15mg when I was on it.
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Blimey, I'm really surprised to read this. I was on 25mg a week & it never ever affected mine .... Typical, one side effect I'd happily have had but nope, it skips me :lol:

Ure GP can run blood tests to check ure hormone levels if ure at all concerned btw. It'll let you know if ure pre-menopausal, menopausal etc

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x