Making progress

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 29. Jun 2014, 11:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
As some of you know, this time last year, I took a downward spiral and have been using a walking aid ever since. I have now finished my degree and have a great job as a social worker that I am starting at the end of July.

I have been working hard at the hospital gym with my fab physio. I have also been supported by my family who have been taking me (and the dog!) on slow but increasing walks with them. I had a physio review today and my stamina has increased as has my ability to walk a bit further. I am hardly running marathons but I am able to gently exercise on gym equipment. :D

Private osteopathy has also played a huge role and it's expensive but my family have offered to help me out as they can see my progress I am making. I feel very lucky to have them supporting me and caring about me.

I joined a local gym which is a big step for me as previously I've felt quite intimated by gym bunnies. It's small but suits my needs, has a warm pool and they're aware of my condition and willing to support me.

My RA isn't showing any signs of going into remission but I have had some improvements on Humira and no side effects, so I'm going to stick with it. I kept telling myself that I would exercise when my RA had settled but I can see that may not happen right now so I am working with it.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    :D You certainly are making progress, Sophie, and it's come by your usual mix of sheer hard graft plus determination. You never make excuses and the fact that you can actually improve your stamina levels while flaring is terrific. And, of course, you're doing it very sensibly. I'm very, very pleased and thanks for sharing the good news :D

How's the stomach?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh, that's typical Sophie, hard-working and refusing to let this dross get the better of you. I wish I had your resolution but I am far older and nowhere near as wise. Well done my lovely, I am impressed (as usual) but am I also allowed to feel proud of you? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Yes, I also feel so proud of you Sophie(if I am also allowed), you are such an inspirational young lady and should be so proud of yourself in what you have achieved with coping with what you have coped with. I wish I had half of the grit and determination that you have, keep up the good work Sophie so pleased to hear your news...............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Sophie..I am very proud of you, and think you are proud of yourself...you put everything into the degree even though you was poorly ..and now you are working hard in the gym..its good you are seeing results, don't forget its not a race but something for life...I really do wish you well.. :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Sophie you've done magnificently well, so pleased you have achieved everything you have while having Arthritis. You are an inspiration to others showing that not giving in and working hard you can get where you want to in life.
  • Starburst
    You're all so lovely, thank you. I think I may have something in my eye :o must be hayfever!

My stomach remains a problem but I am back to the hospital next week. They are now thinking that I may have a problem with the stomach muscles not moving the food out of my stomach and through the digestive system. It's looking like I will need on-going management but we'll see what is decided next week.
  • LisaW
    LisaW Bots Posts: 37
    Really wonderful to read your post. Think I really should take a leaf out of your book. Best of luck with the new job. You should be very proud or your achievements! Would love to hear how you get on at your new job.

Hope something can be done to improve your stomach issues.

Lisa xx
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    You are blooming amazing and such an inspiration! Congratulations on the job - I bet you can't wait to start. Congratulations on being so amazing and keeping going no matter what RA throws at you. You will be the best bunny in the gym and I bet all those Lycra clad people are as blown away by you as I am xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Starburst
    Thank you again, you are all wonderful people. I'm not just saying this - your support has really helped me through my degree. I get my official results next Friday; I'm sitting on the border of a 2:1 and a First, so it could go either way.

I went swimming today. I say 'swimming' but it was mostly some stretching and then hanging out in the Jacuzzi. I felt a bit silly going to a gym with my crutch but you know what, I am what I am and that's ok. :wink:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    :oops: I thought you'd already got it and actually wrote o here that you had to, I think, kimbo. Whichever you get you have done exceptionally well, given all you've had to contend with.

The gym? I actually joined one in the few weeks running up to my knee revision :lol: I didn't keep up with it mainly because every machine I used had to be lowered to its easiest action and even then I could only stay on for a few minutes so Mr SW was hopping on and off his own equipment to sort me out (I couldn't even work the switches :roll: ) However, I couldn't manage without my exercise regime albeit in my own home. Go for it, Sophie, and ignore what others may be thinking. I get a perverse kick out of it sometimes :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Anybody who rocks up to a gym on crutches gets full marks from most people for being so brave and trying so hard! Go for it and wow, a borderline 1st, 2:1...impressive for anybody but even more so given how hard your body has made your studies. I'll say it again, you are blooming amazing xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • celebrationb
    celebrationb Member Posts: 134
    Congrats and well done.. keep up the good work