Sold my sewing machine, feeling sad.

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 2. Jul 2014, 15:31 in Community Chit-chat archive
Unfortunately I have been told by two physios, before and after my neck surgery that I have to give up my much loved hobby of sewing, and in particular patchwork and quilting as it puts too much strain on my neck, shoulders and spinal cord :(

I have just sold my machine, and since I have always had a sewing machine since my parents bought me my first one when I was 13, 40 years ago it seems very strange and very sad.

I didn't really expect to feel like this as I haven't been able to use it since last August but it was still there. Still at least it is going to be used and appreciated, just wish it was still being used and appreciated by me!
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That is sad. I held on to my climbing gear for quite a while and then felt a bit sad when it went despite not using it. Hopefully it will be a case of one thing out and another thing in and you will soon find a fascinating replacement for your entertainment. For now, just allow yourself to feel sad and be proud of what you could do with a sewing machine. I can't even thread one so the idea of quilting to me is like physics, beautiful but mind bogglingly beyond me and puts you in the class of certain genius.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm so sorry, Slosh, but well done on the acceptance of the inevitable and dealing with it.There are ongoing 'letting gos' with arthritis. With the big things I do try to replace them with something equally absorbing amd demanding, just easier. It has its own kind of pain.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I know that feeling very well. Pretty shoes, tennis racquet, splendid ironing board, good pans, lovely iron, all gone or changed for lighter models. I am sure you will find a new challenge to occupy your spare time but what that might be I don't know. :( Like LV I am utterly confused by sewing machines but I used to knit and do patchwork, I don't now thanks to lack of patience and physical discomfort.

We are all teetering along our individual tightropes, Slosh, so we understand that feeling when it suddenly narrows for a stretch. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Thank you all. I knew you would understand. I get a bit fed up with well meaning friends who try to be helpful and say things like "wait and it might get better" , "are you sure?", etc. As far as I'm concerned there are times when you have to be sensible, whether you like it or not, and listen to the experts. I know my cervical spondylosis is impacting on my spinal cord and anything I can do to lessen that, how ever much it might hurt emotionally, is a no brainer as for me the fact it is putting pressure on my spinal cord I very scary.
    I am trying out some other ways of being creative that don't put the same pressure on me.

High heels will be next to go!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Morning Slosh, Sorry you had to sell your sewing machine,something will come along that you can do ,just keep your mind open to new things. Ah well meaning friends we all have them.Mig,
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I know exactly how you feel Slosh it's as if it is a part of you that has gone. Lets hope you can find another interest to take it's place.

High heels, gosh takes me back I used to work twelve hour shifts in four inch heels.......aww those were the days..........................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Slosh
    When I was much younger, and slimmer, I had a part time job in a night club, uniform was a leotard, fishnets and heels. Happy days.
    Just had a happy half-hour wandering around hobbycraft.
    Julian of Norwich
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,096
    Such a shame. I must say I take exception to non-active, indoor favourite things being taken off us as well, does seems like turning the knife when you've already had to hand back the sporty physical stuff. Hope you can find a hobbying substitute.. I've never really machine-sewn but hand sewing would be going out the window now anyway with my used-to-be fantastic close sight, never mind whether my fingers would let me. :roll:

As to parting with things, I'm the hanging on sort, because oddly having my old beloved bike in the garage seems to give me more nostalgic happiness than it does sadness - so while it does, it's staying. :) But I'm not a good parter-with anyway, & there are things I'm sure I would be better off without if I could make the wrench, so well done for letting your machine go.

High heels can stay in my opinion as they count as nice things to look at, like some people have ornaments.
  • Slosh
    Haven't had to hand back the sporty stuff as I didn't really do that and I can quite happily cope with not having to do playground duties especially on wet/cold/windy days.
    Julian of Norwich
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,096
    Oh sport as such, no me either, especially school sports (ugh), but maybe the equivalent, going round the shops all day or just walking where you want. Early on with RA I thought in simple terms of it affecting 'active' things, but soon found I can't read much etc, or spend very long on the internet, play computer games etc, the sort of things I thought of as good substitutes for being more active & outdoorsy.
  • Slosh
    With you on just wandering round shops or just going for nice relaxing walks. I was looking forward to being a culture vulture while on sick leave but don't really think wandering round a museum will be so easy, especially not with a tube journey to factor in as well.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm not sure about museums but quite a lot of shopping precincts have disability scooters you can borrow.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    I am planning to swallow my pride and hire one for an upcoming shopping trip with my daughter and also for a visit I want to make to Kew Gardens. My daughter, 22, has decided she needs to wear roller skates and hang on the back!
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Sorry I missed this,how sad for you after all that time...but you do seem to be strong ..and finding other things to enjoy good luck with the scooter..I tried one in Spain oh how lovely it was after using a wheelchair now and them.. :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • snowdrop123
    snowdrop123 Member Posts: 41
    Hi Slosh

I'm really sorry to hear that you've had to give up your sewing machine. I've always loved sewing and I still have the treddle machine my grandfather gave me when I was about 12 yrs old (I'm 50 now) that he bought in an auction for £5. I don't use it anymore but it's a lovely piece of furniture and brings back very happy memories. I don't do much sewing with my electric machine nowadays because of OA in my spine and hands as well as problems with my vision. It's harsh having to give up things that have been so intrinsically part of your identity. I sent my driving license back to the DVLA not long ago and even though I haven't driven for several years and I was never a massive fan of driving I still felt sad about it. I hope you find a new hobby soon. My right foot has been swollen and painful for the last week so I ended up putting it up and watching the tennis. It took me a little while to work out all the rules but I actually found myself enjoying it after never having any interest in it before now.
    Best wishes