Solar Panels

alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 15. Jul 2014, 07:14 in Community Chit-chat archive
Has anyone on here got any. I've been inundated with calls regarding them for months. Are they worth getting because I read somewhere that the average house would have to have them up for 130 years to make them pay.... you read conflicting reports on them.
You get the feeling that in 20 years time, some expert will come out and say " why the hell did you get these, they are useless ".
In theory they sound a good thing.... all green and what have you... what do you think. Alanthemanc

Comments

• applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You're right. There is a lot of conflicting advice. I heard that it takes 25 years to break even. Watch Dog reported that some people paid the deposit for them then didn't get them. Someone I know got them and now they won't switch on any large appliances unless the sun is shining.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    One day if they are a good idea maybe all roof tiles will have wee solar panels in them? :)

I would like to have them Alan myself, but also heard the 25 year business before the outlay is worth it.

and we will be moved long before then I hope to a smaller place.

I also don't think they look very pretty :oops:

love
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I thought you could get them free on the green deal..and what elec is left over you give to the national grid...shows how much I know... :?
    Toni what a good idea that would be, the tiles made out of panals.
    Love
    Barbara
  • applerose
    I think with the green deal, you don't pay anything up front. You will save money but they take what you save off you to pay for the panels, or boiler or whatever. So, if you don't save a lot, it'll take forever to pay them.

I think the electricity isn't stored in your house. You use it as it comes in and any extra goes in to the grid. If the sun isn't shining, you don't have free electricity coming in so you have to pay for what you use from the grid. That's why the people I know will only put their appliances on when the sun is shining.
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Solar panels don't need actual sunshine to operate, any form of daylight is enough to 'fuel' them. I reckon this is a technology which still needs development but, which ever way you look at it (or do it) generating energy is an expensive business. You could be onto something there, Frog, what a clever idea: patent it now! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • krisbe
    krisbe Member Posts: 95
    Has anyone on here got any. I've been inundated with calls regarding them for months. Are they worth getting because I read somewhere that the average house would have to have them up for 130 years to make them pay.... you read conflicting reports on them.
    You get the feeling that in 20 years time, some expert will come out and say " why the hell did you get these, they are useless ".
    In theory they sound a good thing.... all green and what have you... what do you think. Alanthemanc

My friend got some and was very pleased with them as you can sell the electricity back and get money off your bill. However recently a crack developed in one of them and the company was called out. They refused to pay and said she did it with a golf ball because they saw some in her garden. She hadnt of course.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I think a lot depends on your age as to whether it is worth it or not.
    If you are in your 20's it might be worth exploring but if you are my age :wink: I doubt it
    Love
    Hileena
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I don't know about the technical stuff but i do know i don't like them appearing all over but then again i don't like the wind farms whether on land or at sea.Mig
  • applerose
    I think, as they say it takes 25 years just to break even, you need to stay in the same house for at least that long as you can't take them with you. They stay with the house.
    Christine
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    We had a few companies visit to tell us all about them and cost it out but I decided against it in the end as the feed in tarrif was being cut and they wanted me to sign quick but it was a bit close to the deadline for my liking.

Some people love them and some have had problems. Also they don't know how it will effect the sale of a house.

If I was you I'd read reviews but I do think the best deals have now gone.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein