plane shot down

tjt6768
tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
edited 22. Jul 2014, 09:28 in Community Chit-chat archive
A boeing plane has been shot down in Ukraine airspace. Almost 300 dead.
Awful awful news.
It's still not clear who did it but it is possible it was the Russians :shock:

my heart goes out to the friends and family of all those on board
e050.gifMe-Tony
n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
k040.gif
Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    A very sad business, especially for Malaysia which is still mourning those on the plane which disappeared in March.

Russia and Ukraine are both accusing each other and, if we're not careful, the tragedy will be subsumed into a blame game. There is, as yet, no evidence that it was shot down.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Just seen this on the news, its very sad, they have said that there are afew British and Americans on board, I just hope it wasnt shot down..like you say they are still moaning the peoople on the plane they haven't found yet :(
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Commercial airlines care about one thing - their profit margins. They see no reason why a non-military aircraft should fly across what is currently a war zone when the alternative route uses much more fuel and takes far longer. At least they know where this plane is even if they don't yet know what happened to it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    One poor Australian family have lost relatives in both this disaster and in the Malaysian plane which disappeared.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • tjt6768
    I just hope that they do find out what really happened and some form of justice can be found for the families of all involved......

very sad business indeed.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Apparently the black boxes (which are, in fact, orange) have been handed over to Malaysian Airlines by Ukraine separatists. The looting of the dead is disgusting. Putin has more blood on his hands, methinks, he is a despot who can hold the West to ransom - and will happily do so. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    It's a truly horrendous situation but then the whole issue with Russia/ Ukraine has been dreadful for months. Putin is a dangerous man playing dangerous games and maybe this time he has played too dangerous a game and the rest of the world will finally take notice. I note that this morning we have decided to finally hold an inquest into the death of Litvinenko - I wonder if the timing of that decision is purely incidental to recent events.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    It's seems to be a right mess this situation, non of the different leaders are communicating with each other so it seems to be a free for all. The Malaysians have got the 2 black boxes, A train has left with what is left of the passengers of the flight and I doubt anyone involved knows were the train is going!! I watched the news and David Cameron came across awful if this was a school playground everyone would talk over him and not listen. President Obarma came across the best, antiquate and authoritative. I truly hope they find who it was who bombed the plane and they are brought to justice because it was a horrific thing to do.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Bubbadog, the train has gone to Kharkiv in Ukraine.

Putin is a bullying despot but how we are supposed to take the high moral ground when we sold more than £86, 000,000 of drones, rifles, ammunition and laser technology to Russia last year is beyond me.

LV – according to Radio 4 this morning the Litvinenko timing is no coincidence. It has been resisted until now, as have sanctions, because the City of London is a haven for Russian money :roll: If all Europe gang up against Putin, however, it could be a different story and we might not have so much to lose by re-opening the Litvinenko affair now.

At the risk of sounding utterly cynical, we live in a market economy and, for all our moral posturings, it is money that motivates most of the things that happen.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    Well put your stickyness.
    It's a sad fact that money is the main factor in everything all governments do :roll:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP