What have you never read?

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 4. Aug 2014, 11:12 in Community Chit-chat archive
Sticky's thread triggered this thought in what currently passes for my brain. I have never read (and never intend to read) a Barbara Cartland predictably frothy nonsense or a Mills & Boon. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    A Stephen King book the films are scary enough. Mig
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    50 shades of Grey
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Fifty Shades of Grey for me too. I did get it on my kindle to see what all the fuss was about, but couldn't get into it, it's so boring!
    Numpty
  • Slosh
    Stil love the pupil who told me she wanted to learn to read difficult words so she could read her Mum's book. Mr Grey's 50 shades!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I've never read, and will never read any of the above. I'm quite happy about that.

I'm rather more ashamed to admit that I've never read, in full, any of the Russian classics.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Any books that are set in the war times, anything before 20th Century. Just haven't got the patients. I've read one or two with The Book Club but I will pass on anymore.
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Moby Dick, and can anyone blame me?? Don't fancy reading any Jane Austen either.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Slosh
    Dickens.
    Julian of Norwich
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Books :? :lol:
    I don't have the concentration span to read a pamphlet let alone a book :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    Oh Tony, that's so sad. :shock:

You read threads on here so you do have concentration. Why not start small? You're missing a whole world of pleasure and, more importantly, distraction from pain.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    I have tried a few times to get into reading. Having such a dire memory really doesn't help at all.

I prefer movies. Such a cop out I know. As for reading the threads here. I must confess, I try and avoid the longer ones :oops:

xx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Crikey, what interesting responses, thank you! I agree with bot doing the Russian classics (I prefer the Radio 4 versions every time, at least one can get on with doing something useful whilst trying to sort out the 'ovas' and 'iches' :wink:) but I love Jane Austen, Dickens, Hardy and especially George Eliot (Daniel Deronda was my favourite).

50 Shades? Why bother reading a very badly-written tale? Words can be put to much better use but I have enjoyed the spin-offs such as 50 Sheds of Grey. I can't cope with horror but one of the best film adaptations I have ever seen was the first Harry Potter - it brought my imaginings to life. Mind you, I never read the others because I felt (rightly or wrongly) that nothing would match it.

Science fiction. Pointless. 'Nuff said. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Dickens I keep promising myself to get them..maybe soon..think it is the only fiction I could read ..
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Absolutely no mills and boons, sci-fi or 50 shades of grey, although, I did go to the theatre and see 51 shades of Maggie a one woman show based on the books and on good old Glasgow humour............... hilarious!!!!! xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    bubbadog wrote:
    Any books that are set in the war times, anything before 20th Century. Just haven't got the patients. I've read one or two with The Book Club but I will pass on anymore.

Give some of the war books a go, Bubbadog. They're not all fighting and shooting. Modern classics are:

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remerque
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
    The Ghost Road by Pat Barker.

All great novels for my money.

I used to read a lot of sci fi in my youth. I don't now but Isaac Asimov has to be a wonderful storyteller by any standards. I loved his Foundation series.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Jane Austen, I've read loads of classics but I'm ashamed to say notated how many times I try Austen I just don't get her style.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Slosh
    Love Jane Austen but have never managed to get into a Dickens novel.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    I have many "never reads" but always near the top of the list is Fifty Shades of whatever...and most romantic novels, not that I'm against romance.... :wink:

The Pat Barker war novels I really liked, btw Bubba.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I've never read any of the Harry Potter books or watched the films.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    I love the lot :D
    Steven Wright