Misreadings

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 5. Aug 2014, 14:29 in Community Chit-chat archive
I skim read and often have to go back to check what I think I've read.

Just now I was on the BBC News website. I thought I read 'Why some people want to be near a deadly tomato'. I think that would make a much more interesting story than the actual 'Why some people want to be near a deadly tornado'

One of my all-time favourites is from the Old Testament. I misread 'Camels in throngs' as 'Camels in thongs'. I still prefer my version :wink:

Is it just me or do others have the same problem?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    :lol: Yes I do and also type them as well,. the one that springs to mind at the moment, I am afraid I would get thrown off the forum for posting it Mmmmmm I shall go and have a ponder and see if I can pull anything out from the mush that is my brain at the moment xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I was famous in my family for doing this when I was little - my folks still call departments in stores 'women swear', 'men swear' and 'children swear'.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    When I worked for an Estate Agents many moons ago we had this competition for a caption for the front of the houses for sale and the Building Society (can you guess the company name begins with a H?) Any way it was a picture of a mountain with the company name on a flag at the top. So I thought up the caption ' Any time,Any place, Any were' But with me typing fast it came out 'Any time, Any place, Any ****!!' Which my Boss enjoyed reading out at the Christmas Party in front of the whole West Midlands employee's! I stood up and took a bow because I thought it would have looked good with a pole dancer on the top of the mountain on the front page!!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    bubba I love it.... :lol:
    I do misread things all the time, to my hubbys amusement..but I also mis hear things ..many years ago on a low fat diet we went to a supermarket and over the speaker.. came fat free Easter eggs..I couldn't believe my luck . :D:D only to go asking were they were, to be told it said VAT free :(
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    :lol::lol::lol: Nice one, bubbadog.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Ha Sticky, I do this all the time and it's a great source of humorous, inner laughter to me. It's very funny what your mind will cobble together when you skim quickly over words. I don't always tell the OH as he thinks I'm a little nuts already as it is and I don't want to add fuel :lol: Sometimes he does catch me if I comment on something and he has to point out the mistake... :oops: He always adds a comment about the uselessness of my university degree.... :roll: He get there too one of these days :D
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    barbara12 wrote:
    bubba I love it.... :lol:
    I do misread things all the time, to my hubbys amusement..but I also mis hear things ..many years ago on a low fat diet we went to a supermarket and over the speaker.. came fat free Easter eggs..I couldn't believe my luck . :D:D only to go asking were they were, to be told it said VAT free :(

Barbara I'm sure I'd have done the same as I always misread and mishear things.
    elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Bubba :lol::lol:

Whenever I see a van with "Shop Fitters" on the side, I always read "Shop Lifters" :?
    Numpty
  • stickywicket
    I recall, years ago, seeing on a theatre poster THE BEATLES LIVE AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL and I thought 'No, they don't.
    Steven Wright