Driverless cars

tjt6768
tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
edited 5. Aug 2014, 06:55 in Community Chit-chat archive
Just watchinf the news, very unlike me but it's on in the background..

these cars will be allowed on our roads within six months....
I think it is ridiculous. I would never allow this.

Interesting side point.. If the person sat in the driver's seat uses their phone, could they get done? They're not in control of the vehicle at that point.... :?: :!:
e050.gifMe-Tony
n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
k040.gif
Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I was discussing this with my daughter the other day, she thought they might be good for those with poor sight and reminded me of a blind couple we used to know who were so excited when oven chips came out as it meant they could cook chips for themselves rather than having to go to the chip shop. Haven't made my mind up yet, but they do say most accidents are caused by human error!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I wanted to say yes as hubby and i don't drive and never have done but how could you have driverless cars when there are so many idiots behind the wheels. Mig
  • tjt6768
    I think the technology is way too young at the minute. On Sky news they were showing a reporter in one of the cars with someome from the companynthat makes them I think. They were on a stretch of road and all was well.. They were happily chatting away when the car suddenly almost crashed :shock: :shock: That did nothing to reassure me lol.

Also, could you get away with being drunk in the driver's seat :? :?:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It's a ridiculous notion - just because the technology is almost available doesn't mean it has to be done. Imagine the gridlock when the computers say no. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    So are you planning to "drive" one while chatting on your phone, enjoying a drink and for good measure watching a film on your tablet/laptop?
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,096
    Common sense says no and certainly, it is too soon in the process to be rolling it out, although when was it any different. :roll:

However.. in an ideal world where it was safe as houses and everything in the garden was lovely.. then the mere thought of how it would utterly transform my life makes me say oh lord yes please please please. Even if preferably 20 years ago. Hence yes.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I would vote in favour of them in the hope of less accidents, less use of fuel, fewer traffic jams, driving is not the pleasure it once was, let some one (or something) drive now!

Still going the same places aren't we!
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    No, No, No - a thousandfold no. :shock: It's technology, and you know what happens when technology goes wrong. :o

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• tjt6768
    Some interesting points..

Sloshy, I intend getting drunk as a skunk (or should that be sloshed :? ) whilst phoning the off licence to order more booze to pick up and watching the film 'Crash' on the laptop :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Could they be fitted out with bathroom 'fitments' if you get my drift? No need to find the motorway services then! :roll:

Perhaps they could have a coffee machine in the back as well which - with a remote control - some invisible flunky could produce a cup of coffee for you without you having to move...

Hey, I wonder how much we could squeeze into one of these?

Perhaps they could convert coaches and buses so that when the Forum Gang gets on the bus no-one needs to be the nominated driver.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • FelicityD
    FelicityD Bots Posts: 39
    I'm intrigued by the prospect of driverless cars. I never got a license and don't think they will give me one now. I've always had to rely on Mr. D, the children or public transport. Which, is good in my area. I'm quite excited by the prospect of being 'behind the wheel' and going on a road trip....
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Bring 'em on. As Slosh says, most accidents are due to driver error. My driver (I don't drive myself these days), of course makes no errors at all (in his own eyes) but I could really get used to smooth journeys, within the speed limit and no cursing of everyone else on the roads.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    'within the speed limit and no cursing of everyone else on the roads.'
    But they're the best bits about driving :o :shock: :lol:
    x
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Very scary.. :shock: I am sure the technology could be put to better use..has it already been said to put a braking system on cars before they hit anything or anyone... :o
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I use to dream about this years ago and now it is almost a reality. I also hope it will result in very few accidents, less stress when out and about and cheaper driving costs.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tjt6768
    I have just realised there is an error in my post :shock:
    it says 'yes or know' :?
    Sorry about that. Must be autospell thing on my mobile :oops:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif