Soggy laptop!

Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 12. Sep 2014, 13:54 in Community Chit-chat archive
I'm typing this very slowly on my phone. I learned a valuable lesson this morning - it's a bad idea to drink tea while writing an email. Yep, the tea finished up in my keyboard and now I am computerless. :cry: I'm waiting to see if it will dry out - with little hope that it will work - and then the next move will be a phone call to the insurance company.

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oops! Hope it dries out ok and if not that the insurance is sympathetic.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    oops,bet you won't do that again. Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    to late now but you are suppose to turn it over to drain any fluids out and use an hairdryer...seen it on the telly... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hope it dry's out so it will save you some money! A lesson has been learned don't drink while typing!

There should be a list of 'don't do's' while using a computer produced!!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Oh dear! How is it today? I think I've heard that milky coffee is the worst thing you can pour over it as the milk makes it stick.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Thanks all for your commiserations. Well, it's now in bits, drying out completely. Our son, who is an IT analyst, is visiting this weekend, but I don't think even he will get it to work again. So there will more than likely be a phone call to the insurance company. Thankfully just about everything is backed up. I may not be here much till I get it sorted one way or another. It's a real pain trying to type on a tiny screen. Take care everybody and be careful with those cups of tea! :shock:
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Mine stopped working after I spilt a drink on it but thankfully it was fine the next day. My son has just spat water all over his (from laughing while drinking) but I think it is okay now but he was so upset.

E xxx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • alanthemanc
    alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
    Try a hairdryer it might work.
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Bumped this up as I wanted to know the outcome :) ,Have splt sticky vitimin C on mine ,had to have a new keyboard sorry Barbara and Mancunian Alan I did use a hair dryer BUT was told it was the worst thing I could have done OH DEAR but it just seemed logical ,.......Also tears have splashed down on said keyboard and drips from a bad cold resulting in my curser changeing shape and not working after rest it usually sorted itself out as long as I didnt panic and try to sort myself ,Hope all is well now Megrose Marriannexx
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    I live in fear of this happening. More likely with my spouse though, he likes to drink beer while using the laptop. So far it's just been beer-droplets from him sneezing on the screen :roll:

Hope you get it working again....
  • FelicityD
    FelicityD Bots Posts: 39
    I'm with Boomer! Although, I almost always have a drink with me next to the laptop. If and when it does happen to me, think I'll just panic and forget what to do. I read that you are supposed to shut down the laptop immediately to make sure no further damage is done to the circuit boards. Hope you insurance comes through. When it does, think about it this way, you get to go buy a new shiny laptop!
  • marrianne
    Good point Felicity in the general panic it sometimes the most logical thing s we dont do right away i didnt and then used the hair drier think it could have caused a fire ,just remembered the tip about soaked cell phones stick them overnight in a bag of rice .....NOT COOKED :lol: think the rice must soak up the moisture Marrianne xx
  • marrianne
    :lol::lol:
    Boomer13 wrote:
    I live in fear of this happening. More likely with my spouse though, he likes to drink beer while using the laptop. So far it's just been beer-droplets from him sneezing on the screen :roll:

Hope you get it working again....
    Oh bless him x
  • alanthemanc
    alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
    Sorry I'm late with this wet Laptop / Mobile solution.
    I just read in a reputable computer magazine, that one trick is to put the Laptop/ Phone in a Jiffy bag full of rice.
    Leave it for a few days and the rice will soak up all the moisture from the devices.. Alanthemanc
  • Megrose489
    Thank you very much for all your suggestions. I just wanted to update here in case others hadn't seen the news elsewhere.

Unfortunately, my old laptop was an Apple Mac and I understand that they are practically impossible to restore once liquid has been spilt on them - even using rice or a hair dryer. You're supposed to take the battery out straight away, but the battery in an Apple Mac is extremely difficult to remove. My laptop went to the Apple engineer, but it had, sadly, died the death. However, after a few weeks of discussion with the insurance company, I now have a lovely new Apple Mac. There is now a mile wide liquid exclusion zone around me when I use it! :shock: Stay safe out there!

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    My son. a former printer, still loves Macs :D

(How do you type without a cuppa :? :lol: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright