Need to replace my kindle. Advice please

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 4. Oct 2014, 08:44 in Community Chit-chat archive
My trusty kindle is nearly 5 years old and starting to show it's age. It has a small "ink blot" on the screen but it is small and I can ignore it, however over the last couple of weeks I have noticed that the page turn buttons have become less responsive and need pressing more than once or more firmly.

So as I don't want a kindle fire do I go for the basic model or the paperwhite with the built in light? I quite often read in bed at night and at present use a clip on light which does the job although it does add weight to the kindle and needs some adjusting to avoid glare.

Any suggestions, reccomendations? I want to replace it before it gives up the ghost and know that in the next few months with the countdown to Christmas there may be some offers available.

Thanks
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Morning Slosh
    I am sort of a kindle expert;)
    I prefer the kindle keyboard above all others, but they do not exist anymore :( They have the advantage of having the ability to play audiobooks :)
    I have had 3 of these myself and one ordinary kindle (bought in emergency as I squashed the one I was using when Lucy was first admitted to hospital.
    Husband bought me the ordinary kindle, which does not have backlighting or play audiobooks :( I bought a kindle case with a light in it which is perfect and needs no adjustment at all and the case protects it from me squashing it :oops: Perfect for hospital stays.
    I also have a kindle keyboard purchased from e*ay...other auction sites are available....to play audiobooks on at home.
    My daughters have kindle fires in HD. They are ok and have the added ability that you can play 'games' surf the net etc much like any 'tablet'. To me it's a bit much, but you might love it
    You could always have a look at some in action somewhere like c*rrys/PC W*rld???
    Have fun choosing your new kindle Slosh :)
    love
    Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Unlike frog, I'm no Kindle expert. I prefer books even though they hurt my hands. I hardly use my Kindle but, 18 months ago, I planned on getting a Kindle Fire so's I could email from it. I was talked into a Samsung Tablet for not much more and have never regretted it. You can use it as a reader, for the internet, emailing and taking and sharing photos.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Thank you both.
    I have a samsung tablet but it's a bit heavy for reading in bed. I don't listen to audio books as such other than via a free app on my phone.
    It's really whether it's worth getting the light.
    Good idea to look at some in action.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    I use my iPad. There's a free book app where you can connect to their book store to buy new books, or just import any .EPUP file into it through i.Tunes. I can also import any health .PDF files into them to read. Got all the ones from here on it.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Go and buy a tablet, does everything and the books are cheaper to buy.

The basic Kindle needs a light at night, still needs a internet connection and you still need a puter.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have a Kindle Paperwhite (with 3G) and it has one - and for me it's a major - drawback. The side buttons are gone so I am forever flicking a finger or a thumb over the edge of the frame to tap the screen to change the page. :x It is very good though for the middle-of-the-night-early-morning reading, which is why I bought it. I never found the clip-on lights bright enough to illuminate the entire page. I have to recharge mine every two or three days because I use it so much. I also have a Kindle Fire tablet but it's far too heavy for reading. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I was also looking to buy one. the new glowlight was recommended but I need to do a bit more research.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    I've had a read. The basic kindle is perfectly fine if you just want to read books. It has brilliant battery life and can even be read in sunlight. The Kindle paperwhite is better for night time reading but you pay an extra £40 for the privelege. The Nook glowlight has a very bright light for night reading and the light is very easy to access as you just need to press a button rather than go into the menu.

If you want extra's like apps, video, social networking then kindle fire is best but you lose out on battery life and some say it is not so easy to read text. I'm sure anyone with a kindle fire will tell you if that is true or not.

Hope that makes sense.
    Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Slosh
    Thank you for that.
    The other advantage of a plain and simple kindle is that you can read it in bright sunlight.
    As far as I can see the other main difference between a basic kindle and the paperwhite is the contrast of ink on paper so to speak and in some ways the softer contrast of the slightly greyer background of the basic kindle can be kinder on the eyes.
    Julian of Norwich
  • tkachev
    The only difference I have seen is the night light. apparently they are just the same otherwise. i think I will go for the basic model at £59 because I do not do night reading (I'm often with my Son and he won't turn off the light) and I like to sit in the garden. the kindle paperweight would be better for you as you like to read at night although I'd have a look at the Nook glowlight just incase it is as good (its cheaper too).

Edit; anything you have already purchased on a kindle will not be compatible with the Nook. I'm sure you've already got a lot of books stored on your current kindle.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    The paperwhite can be read in full sunlight and the light is automatic - you only have to change the brightness levels. I have the sleeping cover for it, close it and the Kindle goes off, open it and it's back where you were, automatically, there's no need to physically switch it off. DD
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Hello Slosh,

Buy a mini-ipad.
    I've had an ipad for a while, but about three months ago my wife
    bought a mini-ipad and swears by it. It does all an ipad does and
    downloading and reading books through the kindle app is a doddle.
    Both ipads are in constant use but Joan's is much lighter than mine
    - in weight that is.
  • tkachev
    If you only want it for reading then you will be paying for all the bells and whistles if you buy a mini i-pad. Plus if you've got children Slosh you'll never get a look in.

I did read DD that you had to go into the menu to adjust the light setting on all kindles whereas with the nook you just hold a button.But I also read that the kindle light adjusts itself to the room!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Slosh
    I already have a Samsung tablet but it's a bit heavy to hold and you can't read in bright sunshine. Waiting for payday and will get a paperwhite as I quite often read in bed.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    I forgot to say that when I bought my Paperwhite and set it up I was amazed to discover all my original Kindle books on there - a bonus. I now have three options on delivery, my first, second or third Kindle - I always opt for the second, the Paperwhite. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I see there's a new one out. The Kindle Voyage. Maybe worth investigating?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    As Sticky said they've announced the new kindle(s) and one is much lighter than at present. Hopefully this will mean a reduction in price for the current batch.

Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Well Slosh, we're a few days on now - did payday arrive? If so, what did you buy and are you happy with it? DD
  • Slosh
    Payday has arrived but my mind got taken over with other things. Thanks for the reminder. I think I will go for the basic version minus light as I don't think I need to pay out the extra for the version with the built in light.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Slosh
    I have got mynew kindle! The first thing I noticed is that the packaging is much more up market than my first. I went for the new basic model, not sure of the name but I went fir the £59 version with ads, these just come up when the kindle is off and at the bottom of the homepage and takes £10 off the price and you can cancel later by just paying the extra tenner. I just didn't think I would take advantage of all the features of the more expensive versions. It was very easy to set up and all my books are saved on the "cloud".

Feels light to hold and easy to use. Typically as soon as I ordered it my old one started working perfectly but I am going to give it to my daughter. She can read what I have on it then re register it. As I like listening to books at night I am also trying out their new service which gives unlimited access to a lot of books and audio versions for a monthly fee which can be cancelled. Will let you know how I get on.
    Julian of Norwich