Hot Water hurts my hands

dawnf43
dawnf43 Member Posts: 27
I put a post on the living with arthritis page but no one seemed to have had any similar problems. I have recently been told that I have OA in my hands, having already got problems with my feet and ankle. I have had hypermobile joints since childhood. I have also had Carpel Tunnel in both hands for over ten years.

I recently saw a Rheumatologist who took x rays of my hands and lots of blood tests. He said that it was OA, and discharged me back to my GP.

Since Christmas I have found that I cannot stand to put my hands in warm or hot water. Even getting showered causes pain. The pain is in my hands and feet.

My question is whether this is common with OA, or could there be something els going on?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

Dawn

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Dawn,

Thank you for your enquiry to Arthritis Care. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing these sensations and not having a clear explanation at present for what's happening.

Here at Helplines we can't give answers as we have no diagnosis skills or medical training. But what we are very much here for is to listen and reflect and help you to consider options. For some people referral to a pain clinic or neurology can help with managing issues like these.

At times when arthritis is making quality of life tricky, it can be useful to focus on practical self management skills as a way to manage the uncertainty. If you'd like some support with what's going on, or to consider self management strategies you'd be very welcome to ring us for some support.

Kind regards

Guy
  • dvaidr
    dvaidr Member Posts: 25
    I can't stand hot water on my hands and feet.

The Doctor's tell me that I have Fibromyalgia, with possible Psoriatic Arthritis. I think it's the Fibro, since the cause of it is an excess of blood vessels in the hands.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi dvaidr,

thanks for post to Helplines. I'm sorry to hear that your hands are painful. I'm attaching a link to our factsheets, but would you like us to send you more information? If that would be helpful, please email your details to helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk

http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Factsheets/main_content/FibromyalgiafactsheetOct2013.pdf

http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Factsheets/main_content/PsoriaticFactsheet2014.pdf

Also if you feel like having a chat, why not ring us for some support?

You can see more about self managing arthritis on our website - just see self managing arthritis

I hope that's helpful

Best wishes

Guy