moving house misery

bridesmum
bridesmum Member Posts: 181
edited 24. Oct 2014, 12:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
We finally move into our new house tomorrow, we have had the keys since sunday and have been taking things over when we have been to see family and look after our grandson. It has really taken it's toll on me and I'm beyond exhausted and in awful pain. We picked up the van yesterday afternoon and our son come straight from work to help his dad load up ready for this mornings first trip. He had been working at a centre parcs somewhere near Bristol? And when he came out to his (fortunately company) car he found that a tree had fallen on top of it! Our friends arrived here at 9am this morning and they were wonderful helping Mr BM moving furniture and helping me clean and do final packing. The sofa is currently in the back garden of the new house as it won't go through either the front or back door, apparently at one point it was on top of the shed! No doubt it caused great amusement for the neighbours. When we had it delivered here before we had the extension and French Windows we had to have a window taken out to get the blasted thing in. My mother, bless her also came to help. I asked her to clean the bathroom, as I was busy defrosting the fridge freezer I left her to it. After she'd gone I found that she had gaily packed up everything except the toothbrushes and toothpaste. We have no soap, shampoo and minimal loo roll, poor Mr BM had to have a shower using fairy liquid! !!
I am now in bed as I can barely keep my eyes open. Have decided on a name for the new house, "Dunromin " 'cause I am never moving house again,

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It's an exhausting, stressful time. I hope by tomorrow night you'll be able to relax a little and just leave the unpacking and sorting out. As long as you have a bed and a kettle... :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Hope it goes well. Remember to keep kettle, milk, tea bags, milk, mugs etc packed so they are to hand, then get yourself sorted with a comfy chair in the new place and direct operations from there!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I remember when we moved into this house it was only 8yrs ago but I can remember it like it was yesterday! The stress and craziness was extreme because the vendor of the house we where moving into didn't hand the keys into the estate agent till 4pm moving day! And they hadn't been living in the house for 6months!!! I used to work for an estate agents and remember telling people it was the most stressful thing you will ever do and I was right!! But once all the unpacking was done we could sit back and enjoy the house as my OH got the pad and pen out and drew what he wanted to do to the house decorating and conservatory wise!!
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I do hope you can settle and get some rest, BM. There can`t be anything more stressful than moving house. We`ve been in our current house for over 30 years now, and it`s possibly too big for us now the family have flown the nest, but I`d hate to have to move. You don`t realise how much stuff you`ve accrued over the years until you have to pack it all up!

My dad died almost 2 years ago, and my sister & I had his house to clear and sort and sell - I was just about on my knees by the time we`d finished.

Tezz x
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    There is one thing more stressful. 12 years ago, the day after we exchanged on a house purchase my then husband left me, two weeks later I moved house, as if that wasn't bad enough, a month later I had to reapply for my job as the school was almagamating, and 4 months after that my Father died. That was the point at which I went to pieces!

Oh well as they say, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I hope you have got some well earned rest and things are coming together,we have only moved once and that was enough..wishing you well in your new home
    Love
    Barbara