In future please ignore me

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 1. Nov 2014, 11:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Because I am clueless.

Yesterday I got a letter from my GP telling me my haemoglobin had dropped and I should make an appointment to discuss it. Suddenly it all made sense:

The increased aches and pains. (I'd been thinking the meth wasn't working.)
The lack of energy. (I'd blamed too much entertaining.)
The need to use my blue inhaler. (I'd blamed the weather.)
The lack of concentration. (I'd blamed the tiredness plus anno domini.)
The mild headaches. (I'd blamed trying to concentrate when it was difficult.)

(I was never any good at adding up :oops: )

So, I'm booked in. Meanwhile, more of all the iron-rich foods and less of my beloved tea.

What a plonker :roll:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Who said that
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh Sticky, this happens to us all from time to time: because we're in the middle of things we can't necessarily see the bigger picture (otherwise known as the flaming obvious). I hope you can sort this sooner rather than later - but why reduce your tea intake? Does it leech iron from our system? :?

Mig? Trenchant as ever! :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Isn't she just :lol:

Tea and coffee hinder the absorption of iron. I'm currently supping water with my prunes. I actually rather like it.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I see DD ignored your ignore post Sticky.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I protest! I did not! Oh. OH. OH! Mig, the impact of your subtle post has finally hit. :oops: (DD slinks away, totes embarrassed).
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Clueless? Not at all :)

DD's spot on about the bigger picture. As for mig's response... :lol:

I hope the GP appointment proves useful. In the meantime, please consider the addition of triple tripe to your prunes and water snack :)

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I would ignore you but seriously, how could I?! Even a seasoned arthritic like you has so much to consider when listening to the myriad of messages our bodies are constantly sending us that I think you are allowed a little miscommunication sometimes! I hope the GP is useful and remember Frogmella's excellent tip of iron tablets with pure orange. (((((())))))
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    The bigger picture coupled with the flaming obvious - yup, guaranteed to pass me by :lol:

Orange juice with iron tabs? I remember that. Unfortunately, I also remember someone on here saying no oranges or juice with meth. And no tea or coffee with iron. And no omep or gaviscon within two hours of most things. And the, I guess, you take away the med you last thought of and the answer is......tripe.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Sshhhh don't tell anybody on the marketing board but tripe has a lower iron content than regular beef so might not help you. I know, who would have thought there was a situation where tripe wasn't the answer?! :shock:
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    :o 'A situation where tripe isn't the answer :shock: LV, how could you even think that? Go sit on the naughty step - assuming you can get back off it again :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    take extra iron tablets so you can increase the amount of Tea you drink ,

if they tell you to cut down on tea , tell they to cut down on wine & **** first , think we have had to cut out enough , please stand up for us tea totalers & just say nooooooooooooooo :roll:
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello Sticky
    i'm on iron tabs you have to wait a hour and a half before you have tea because you have milk it does'nt like the iron tab.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • stickywicket
    trepolpen - Oh I don't think so :o However inconvenient I shall take them as directed by my GP and drink water for the time being. The last thing I want is an iron overdose :roll: I'm afraid this is one of few occasions when I just have to be good :mrgreen:

Joan - thanks for that. I hadn't realised milk was a culprit but I fear the tea itself is also. And coffee but I don't drink much coffee.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Ok Sticky we will :lol: As if!!!! Don't be so silly :wink:
    It's so true when we are in the middle of it the obvious just passes us by.
    Joan....I was taking iron tablets one time...3 {or was it four}?? a day and I tried to take them, going by the instructions....leave a certain length of time after tea or coffee before having one then a few hours before the next one you couldn't have tea or coffee, and I was supposed to fit four a day in?????? It meant no tea or coffee :o Blow that ....I ignored the instructions and just did the best I could :lol::lol:
    Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    SW I hope the iron meds are working for you, the tea thing is very interesting, I don't drink many hot drinks in the day but my OH has at least 20 cuppas a day ..and yes he is always tired..so will see if we can get him to the docs..
    Love
    Barbara