Sickness bug or infection

As5567
As5567 Member Posts: 665
edited 8. Nov 2014, 21:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Rather selfishly my brother came over my house yesterday to visit family but little did we know he has had a sickness bug for the last 2 days and was up the night before vomiting. I am far from a hypochondriac but when people are sick and know that I catch stuff easy it really annoys me when they don't stay away.

I have felt extra achy today, knees and feet have been hot and swollen which is rare for me, as of right now tonight I thought I was just cold but as time has gone on I have been shaking and shivering more and more so decided to take my temp. It's 38.6 so that's got me worried. I started a dose of antibiotics today because I have developed an infection after recent surgery and I'm praying to god that is why I have the fever, apart from the fever and a slight feeling of nausea (Due to antibiotics since this morning) I otherwise feel healthy.....the last thing I need right now is a sickness bug I think that really would tip me over the edge.

Comments

• charleeh
    charleeh Member Posts: 173
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hey,

I really feel your annoyance here!!

Its difficult for people to understand that people with auto immune diseases can catch their germs so much more easily than the normal healthy person.

I go really mad when anyone comes near me with germs, I constantly carry hand gel and wash my hands frequently. I even change my clothes and get right in the shower when I have been to the hospital! - you can never be to careful (I got noro virus a couple of years ago!)

Maybe wipe the door handles and surfaces over with a anti bac cloth or something? - I do that every 3-4 days in my home - if nothing else it might help you 'feel a bit more germ free' ?

Think positive too! :)

I just came back from a gig last weekend and caught a cold :x apparently lots of people have caught it from the gig - I blame the air conditioning! wafting germs from all areas everywhere! grrr! only takes one germy so and so and there we go its everywhere! :oops:

I do hope you feel better soon!
    wrap up and keep warm! plenty vitamins :wink: (thats what I am doing)

Best wishes,
    Charleeh x
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I guess the if you do/ don't vomit will be the diagnostic test. It could be either but if your wound is that badly infected it is causing those symptoms I would be very careful indeed in the next 24 hours and if there is no improvement in symptoms I would be back at the GP/hospital wanting different antibiotics/ treatment or even a wound swab. Infected wounds are nasty for the most immune able - for us they can be very serious. (((((()))))) you really do seem to have lots to contend with.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Exactly what you don't need. I do hope it's not as bad as feared but some good advice there from LV.

I do wish people would refrain from bug-sharing, especially with us auto-immuners. My sister once planned to stay the weekend before we flew out to the USA. “You don't mind that I have a cold, do you?” I did mind and put her off.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • As5567
    Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like it when others insist on spreading their germs. Even to a healthy person these type of bugs spread easily and can really make some people feel like they're dying.

So far so good it seems, fever lasted most of the night along with a headache and at one point I felt very sick, after falling asleep for a couple of hours I woke up feeling slightly better and no fever. Now this afternoon I feel slightly sick which is probably down to the antibiotics and otherwise fine. So I'm guessing its down to infection, which is the first time and probably the last time I'm glad its an infection!
  • stickywicket
    Do you take your antibios on an empty stomach? I know they say to but my stomach, full or empty, is very intolerant of any pills without a smidgen of food so I go along with what it wants and antibios always work for me.
    Steven Wright
  • As5567
    With food or without food I usually feel sick on this type of antibiotic because of the high dosage given to me, I was told I could cut the dose in half and take them for 20 days but they are likely to take longer to work so the best option to me is to just stick to the higher dose and ride it out.

On a better note I forgot to mention the infection in my wound does seem to be settling down, the nurse who changed and re packed it today thinks the antibiotics have began to work now which is a good sing and possibly why I had a fever and felt so bad last night and now today feeling better, I guess these things have a habit of getting worse before they get better
  • stickywicket
    That does sound better. How are things today?
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I'm like everyone don't allow people to visit if they have bugs or sick, I'm lucky because the majority of the time friends and family stay away if they are sick. Even my cleaner will call if any of her family are unwell to see if it's best she stay away or if it's okay. The main bug that no one is allowed to visit with is this nasty flu bug, I've had it once don't want it again!!
  • As5567
    Today things seem a lot better, no fever and sickness feeling seems to be settling down slightly. Looks like the antibiotics so far have started to do their job as my wounds for the first time since having the operation were blood and puss free so that's one less thing to worry about.

Nobody who lives in my house so far has got sick so I'm guessing the very in depth cleaning has worked
  • stickywicket
    That's good news x 2 :D
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Right, we're a few days further on now and I hope things are continuing to improve. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • As5567
    Things are debatable....

Seem to be having a mild fever every single night without fail but this comes on when I start to really stiffen up due to me AS...possibly related to that I'm thinking.

I've just started antibiotics round 2 as the infection came back just after I finished the course so this time its a 2 week course and 1x swap sample to be taken after 7 days to confirm all bugs are dead.

As for sickness bug, nobody in my house has seemed to got it but every single person at my brothers house and his girlfriends mothers house have seem to come down with it.....so until things pass for those unlucky enough to catch it my house is on lockdown!

Thanks for the good advice ArthritisProtocol, never really though about replacing the good bacteria that has been killed by the antibiotics, maybe that will help with feeling yucky from these pills after I finish the course.
  • dreamdaisy
    What do you mean by a mild fever? Does your temperature actually rise? DD
  • As5567
    My temperature without fail will fluctuate between 37.5 and 38 all night until I take some pills usually around 4am (Pred and pain killers)
  • dreamdaisy
    What is it during the day? I average 34 but still manage to sweat gallons during any 24 hour period. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    I've been thinking about this, I wonder if the pred is the culprit? We all know it can have strange side effects. DD
  • As5567
    I'm really not sure, all I know if that I feel very off and something might be wrong somewhere. I seem to be having the worst flare I've eve had in my life the last couple of days and for once I feel like this disease is currently beating me. I have a feeling something isn't right somewhere.

During the day I seem to average 35.5-36 and then as soon as it's bed time around 10PM I begin to shiver and have a fever. When this comes on I also get extremely stiff so really not sure what's going on. I'm finally seeing my rheumatologist on Monday and will be adding this to my long list of questions