New, just got appointment date too

Options
Loula
Loula Member Posts: 20
edited 20. Nov 2014, 17:52 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, been reading this site for a while, patiently waiting to find out when my appointment is, a week before xmas! So glad, utterly exhausted, all i manage to do is work and sleep, works a challenge a lot of the time too. Pain and stiffness are mostly wrists, thumbs and elbows, feet not brilliant, i tend to stagger a lot :oops:

Anyways just thought id say hello x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. Who are you seeing? A rheumatologist or an orthopaedic? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Loula
    Options
    Rheumatologist, im assuming he/she will look at my joints and do blood tests? My docs done loads of blood tests, RA came back negative but my platelets were high, and im showing inflammation.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    And hello from me too, Loula :D

There are sero-negative forms of auto-immune arthritis so it's good that your GP has referred you to a rheumatologist. Are there any auto-immune diseases in your family? That might give a clue though not a conclusive one. I suggest you keep a diary between now and your appointment - pain, stiffness, swelling etc. If anything's very swollen take a photo as you can bet your life it won't be on the day of the appointment :wink: Let's know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hello from me as well, take a note of all the questions you want to ask and if possible take someone with you, another pair of ears is good to remember what has been said. Let us know how you get on................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Loula
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, now i apologise if this is a silly question, my feet ankles and legs swell, like water retention, is this something i need to mention? I have a questionnaire to complete, it asks if there are any family members with arthritis, over the last year or so when ive mentioned it to my mum, shes said most people have a bit arthritis :? But last week she mentioned my paternal grandfather and maternal grandmother both had arthritis, so i need to check exactly what for this form i think.

Another thing thats a bit embarrassing is difficulty after going to the loo (number 2) with wiping, sorry sorry sorry if TMI but it really upsets me to be mid 40's and struggle cleaning myself :oops: is this normal?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Definitely mention the swelling. Let the rheumatologist decide whether the cause is arthritis or not. With arthritis the swelling is around the joint, not in eg the calf but, if in doubt, do let them know. (Take photos.)

Again, mention the family arthritis connection but also try to find out what kind of arthritis, if possible, and for how many years.

I've occasionally had loo 'accessibility' problems. Most disability shops sell bottom wipers and mine treated the request very matter-of-factly. You can go on-line of you feel embarrassed about asking but I'd advise a 'real' store if possible because there are different ones available and you want the best for you. (Better buy some hygiene wipes and anti-bacterial gel at the same time as you'll be using a lot :wink: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hello Loula, and welcome.It's a really good idea to go to your next rheumy appointment armed with as many questions you can think of. The more information you can get the better.

I have RA, for a number of years now, and I had loo problems like you mention. I went to our local disability shop - recommended by the OT, & in fact we got a number of things there to make life a bit easier - and the staff there take all requests in their stride. I freely admit, though, that this was one of the lowest points in my journey with RA. After that, the only way was up, & hopefully things will get better for you too.

Tezz x