What I got excited about today... how times change

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 25. Nov 2014, 04:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Today I had an exciting parcel delivery at work today. After Tuesday I decided I needed to treat myself. Today it arrived and I love it/them.

So what is it? A new handbag, shoes or earrings?
Perfume or some luxury bath or shower product?

No, a pair of lightweight and quiet fuschia coloured crutches!

How things change.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Cool. Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Now you're really one of the gang, Slosh :lol:

Presumably the matching handbag, shoes etc will come later :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    I already have fuschia pink pumps and they work well with my purple bag! When I was using a walking stick I had 4 so I could match my stick with what I was wearing!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    And why not? Who said walking aids had to be dull?

Way to go Slosh!!
  • Slosh
    Already planning how to decorate my others for Christmas.
    As they say, although I don't think it's often applied to walking aids
    "If you've got it, flaunt it!"
    Julian of Norwich
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Nice one, slosh :)

You've inspired me to add 'funky crutches' to my Christmas List. I don't go out much with mine, but something other than NHS grey might liven things up a bit! Maybe a fetching scarlet, to match my powerchair :lol:

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    They sound very cool. I'm thinking since it's nearly winter you can have fun with accessorising with mittens or gloves. I'm thinking a nice pair of retro leather ladies gloves or something sparkly!

I love things that make having to deal with arthritis a bit more fun. I always loved my Grandpa's walking stick which unscrewed to reveal a little shot tube that he kept whisky in...I think pink crutches would have to reveal a lovely cocktail of some sort though :wink:
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Slosh
    Good for you :wink:
    I remember how I felt....I ordered mine online from Germany and they were delivered to the local Argos to be picked up
    I was so excited.....still love them :D
    They are pink and there is a little bit of black on them.
    Just wait until you use them outside......the comments you get....Ohhh where did you get those? Ohhh I love those...makes you feel much better :lol:
    If we have to use them permanently or for a very long time why should we have dull grey NHS ones that make a horrible noise when you walk outside :lol:
    I'm wondering how much I might get in money for Christmas....could I buy some others???? I wish.
    Love
    Hileena
  • Slosh
    I'm doing assembly tomorrow so look forward to seeing what the children make of them. The site I got them from had a range of 18 colours!
    LV I bought new gloves already, lovely bright fuschia pink of course. Need to get a scarf and hat now.
    Hileena, I quite agree, NHS are practical and you can't expect them to pay out the money for more individual ones but it just feels good to have something that feels a bit more like me. It also makes me realise how far I've come since the shock of having to move to them from a stick which I found very hard.
    Julian of Norwich
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Slosh
    I've had to fight every step of the way......every different piece of equipment I've needed I've fought with myself......they are only for old people :( I'm 68 :lol:
    Like you say....it feels more me.

Love
    Hileena
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I found a firm which sold brightly-coloured wrist splints, and being fed up of the hospital-issue beige, I bought some in pale blue & some in a very fetching turquoise & black. Unfortunately, the firm closed down.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Cool Slosh and rather bright! You won't be missed!! I have a pair of black crutches and they have reflectors on the handle. Much better than NHS crutches!!
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Ooh Slosh, you've made me want some! Can you give me a hint where you ordered them from? Deb
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I, too, experienced joy like no other when my lovely crutch arrived. I went for the more demure option of black and white polka dots but I'm sure you're much cooler than me and can carry off the colour. :D If you've got to use a mobility aid, why not make it personal to you. My crutch is part of me and I like to look nice, so it can too.

I wish you the very best in using it. Photos by any chance please?!
  • Slosh
    Not sure if at 53 I can be described as cool but I'll happily accept it! Yours sounds very stylish.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    They sound terrific, I have four pairs altogether, one standard silver which live in the car, one black (for funerals) one light blue and one darker blue (I like blue). The pink, however, sound rather good (I also like pink!)

Come Christmas I either festoon little battery-operated lights on them (ones which are small enough to weave in and out of the spare holes) or tie on tinsel bows. You may also wish to investigate ice grippers for canes and crutches, I have a pair permanently affixed to my silver ones: you flip them down for extra grip and flip up once one is on a smooth indoor surface. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben