Froben (Fluribiprofen) Anti Inflammatory

Options
MrDJ
MrDJ Member Posts: 276
edited 27. Nov 2014, 16:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Quick question about this medication:

Froben 100mg Anti Inflammatory

Is there any other member on this forum that takes this drug for OA/RA/AS and are struggling to get hold of them now.

RANT ALERT

ive been on Froben 100mg anti inflammatory drug for a short time now (29 years) and it seems to be the only one that works for me.

i wont go into all the boring details of all the other crap im on.

the problem im having is for the last year my chemist has been struggling to get froben for me and normally it took about 2-3 weeks to get them. hes said for years now im the only person he knows that is on them and he runs 3 chemists.

last week he said he cant get them anymore :o and that was that.

luckily as i work at a hospital i got an emergency prescription from my rhumy and even the hospital only had 40 on the shelf. i spoke to the stores manager who orders meds and he said they are still made and are available at boots or lloyds pharmacy. we have a boots about 6 miles away so will try there.

what really miffed me off was my GP wasnt much help. first appointment was for 3 weeks or go to the surgery at 8am and queue up. in the end i insisted on a return call from the GP.
quite reluctant in giving me another prescription even though i explained the previous one had 4 other items on it so it could not be returned by the chemist. in the end she wrote one out for a months supply.
then i notice my pre payment prescription had run out so had to renew that. :roll:

id hate to think how the normal public would cope if they were in this situation as its stressed me out and i work at a hospital with a good team i can get information from.

RANT OVER

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've never heard of this medication but, as a relative 'newcomer' to the weird and wonderful world of anti-inflams, I'm not surprised that I haven't. Every drug has its day and my suspicion is that over the years newer meds have been developed, hence the scarcity of this one. There are occasional shortages of meds (this topic has cropped up on here) but it must be frustrating for you if this is one that suits you. At least you can get hold of it for the time being, methinks anyone else in this position would have to go without. The response of your GP sounds about right, it's the same at my surgery and many others. Is your pre-pay cert an annual or a three-monthly? If it's the latter then reminders are not sent but for the former they are. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I've never heard of it either. I certainly don't recall anyone ever mentioning it on here. In the bad old days before methotrexate I took a succession of anti-inflamms – there seemed to be tons of 'em in those days – and more than one was withdrawn.

I looked up froben and, at a glance, it does seem a particularly nasty one, contra-indicated for people with a host of conditions (not to mention those on methotrexate which I seem to recall you are) and also threatening more and worse side-effects than most. This is of no consolation to you if you feel you get on well with it but one site said it was discontinued in UK in 2011. Years back I was getting on nicely with gold injections but was, annoyingly, whipped off them because of a mild rash (which, admittedly, can be the first sign of kidney damage).

As a member of 'the normal public' (Though this has been challenged :lol: ) I'd simply ask my GP what it's all about. They're usually pretty good at answering my questions and / or looking things up if they don't know the answers. I hope you get your pre-payment certificate renewed without hassle.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • MrDJ
    Options
    @dreamdaisy
    i get the 3 months prepayment as i normally top up and get my moneys worth from gp and hospital and then have enough to keep me going for a few months, until now :(

@stickywicket
    oh well i should be 6 foot under then as ive been on them that long lol
    i think the one discontinued in 2011 was the slow release just like the previous slow release voltarol i was on for years.

me been on my mtx for 12 years now and always taken froben as well with no side effects.

oh well, thanks for the replies ladies.

onward and upwards.

im getting excited now as its only 2 weeks until my hospital christmas party and im on parole for the weekend and allowed to drink :P
    no mtx for that week and stop all my meds a few days before and after.
    cant believe its been a whole year since my last tipple.

captain morgans rum (tick)
    cyprus brandy (tick)
    jack daniels (tick)
    im not greedy as they are not litre bottles this year.

pished as a part (DEFO TICK) :wink::lol:

and its always a joy seeing my consultants face a week later with my blood results :o its priceless.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I tried juggling the three-monthly-to-gain-extra-value for a while but decided it wasn't worth the hassle. I do mine annually and renew before the price rises - the monthly direct debit is not financially too painful.

Take it easy on the drinks front, mate, at that rate you'll miss the entire party. :wink: I did the Millennium on cuppas 'cos I didn't want to miss a moment! I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • MrDJ
    Options
    cheers, hic.

ive never fallen over yet and i dont intend to now.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    The more I look at the name 'froben' the more I feel I took it for a while way back.

I confess I'm nowhere near as resolute as you with the alcohol but then, arthritically speaking, I'm only on meth and hydroxy and a prefer the slow, steady approach to the occasional binge. Enjoy it and stay standing :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright