Caudal Epidural Injection

prefabkid47
prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
edited 28. Nov 2014, 16:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

Yes it is prefabkid of ankle replacement fame!!As encouragement to anyone planning to go down that route all is still ok after three and a half years. :)

Have been suffering from sciatic type pain caused by herniated disc impinging on the spinal nerve exiting at L5/S1.This was possibly due to good old Arthur.This was found as a result of a MRI scan carried out my insistence (you sometimes have to push to get things done!)

Have had physiotherapy,osteopathy,acupuncture,massage and hydrotherapy (the only thing I haven't tried is witchcraft............ :?)

Had rheumatology clinic today and they suggested having a steroid injection into epidural canal just above the tail bone.

Has anyone had this procedure and if so what was the outcome?Also your experience on steroid injections in general.

Ron

(great to see so many familiar names on the forum,will try to post more often.)
''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    :D Hello. Lovely to see you again, Ron, but, as is often the case on here, sorry it's for all the wrong reasons.

I've never had one of these but, if click on the little blue search button above (NOT the red search box but underneath it) then enter 'caudal epidural' in the top box, several old threads come up.

God luck with both the searching and the injection :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Hi, i had bi lateral facet joint injectons L4 and L5 plus nerve root block L5 on 16th Nov. These were done under a local - my choice. :roll: Should I need the nerve root block one again it'll be done under sedation.

I'm not the best person to ask as I am still having some issues after these injections but I know some people find them to be very beneficial. Facet joint injections in the past didn't work for me but I was willing to give them another try.

My nerve at L5 is being affected as some of my spinal joints have moved and are puttng pressure on my spinal cord which is having a knock on effect with my sciatic nerve.

With regards to your ankle replacement how long were you non weight bearing? I need to have my left ankle either fused or replaced but am reluctant as my right knee is partially replaced and I am concerned how I'd manage.

Good luck with this and let us know how you get on.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I've never had them so cannot help but on the beer front (which is far more important :wink: ) I have recently been in Yorkshire supping EPA and Golden Sheep. Bliss. Went to my local yesterday for lunch and discovered they currently have draught Tribute on the go: even more bliss come the weekend! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello Ron it's nice to see you again.
    i've had steroid injection's and i've never noticed any difference.
    take care i'm pleased your ankle is behaving.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • prefabkid47
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I've never had them so cannot help but on the beer front (which is far more important :wink: ) I have recently been in Yorkshire supping EPA and Golden Sheep. Bliss. Went to my local yesterday for lunch and discovered they currently have draught Tribute on the go: even more bliss come the weekend! DD

Hi DD
    So glad you haven't given up the liquid medicine........... :D
    Unfortunately my quest to find new beers in this area tends to be made difficult by the domination of Shepherd Neame!
    My love this time of year (or anytime of year) are stouts and porters and these seem to be in short supply especially in cask form,so at moment have to be content with bottled versions.................. :roll:
    Look forward to the CAMRA Winter Ale Festival in Dover in the new year.
    However with the approach of Christmas we are coming into the whisky season (single malt of course)............. :D
    'Whisky improves with age,the older I get the more I like it'............ :lol:
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • prefabkid47
    GraceB wrote:
    Hi, i had bi lateral facet joint injectons L4 and L5 plus nerve root block L5 on 16th Nov. These were done under a local - my choice. :roll: Should I need the nerve root block one again it'll be done under sedation.

I'm not the best person to ask as I am still having some issues after these injections but I know some people find them to be very beneficial. Facet joint injections in the past didn't work for me but I was willing to give them another try.

My nerve at L5 is being affected as some of my spinal joints have moved and are puttng pressure on my spinal cord which is having a knock on effect with my sciatic nerve.

With regards to your ankle replacement how long were you non weight bearing? I need to have my left ankle either fused or replaced but am reluctant as my right knee is partially replaced and I am concerned how I'd manage.

Good luck with this and let us know how you get on.

GraceB

Hi GraceB
    Thanks for your sharing your experiences!We seem to be suffering similar problems and symptoms.......... :(
    After my surgery I was in a 'back slab' for about 2 weeks then in plaster for a further 6 weeks or so.
    Approximately 3 weeks after surgery I was allowed to lightly weight bear,but only with crutches.
    After the plaster was removed my leg was in a brace for a further 4 weeks I could increase weight bearing using initially both crutches then dispensing with one then towards the end walking unaided (this was an emotional stage... :cry: ) initially indoors.
    I have reported my experiences in detail mainly on my threads 'Ron's New Ankle 1,2 and Update' (my operation was 2 June 2011) and start about this date.
    If you have any concerns please don't hesitate to contact me.
    Regards
    Ron
    (ps I see you are from Ashford (is that Kent or Middlesex?)
  • prefabkid47
    dachshund wrote:
    Hello Ron it's nice to see you again.
    i've had steroid injection's and i've never noticed any difference.
    take care i'm pleased your ankle is behaving.
    joan xx

Hi Joan
    Great to be back in contact with some old friends again.......... :D
    Looking at a number of sites and feedback the general concensus seems to be that steroid injections have limited success.
    I have had an injection in my ankle and had absolutely no effect....... :(
    Thanks again
    Ron
  • prefabkid47
    :D Hello. Lovely to see you again, Ron, but, as is often the case on here, sorry it's for all the wrong reasons.

I've never had one of these but, if click on the little blue search button above (NOT the red search box but underneath it) then enter 'caudal epidural' in the top box, several old threads come up.

God luck with both the searching and the injection :D

Hi Stickywicket
    Thanks for the info,will do more research.From my and other people's experiences the injection seems to of limited success.
    Regards
    Ron
  • GraceB
    Ron,
    thank you for the information, very much appreciated.

I'm in the 'Garden of England'. Very wet here though today so not very cheery.

Take care,
    GraceB
  • Tia1723
    Tia1723 Bots Posts: 43
    My mum had it once, for her neck pain caused due to inflamed spinal nerves. She got a minimal effect, so I would not encourage it, personally. Though effect can vary from person to person, one must weigh risk vs benefits of steroid. My mum suffered severe rash especially on face soon after the shot, which was very discomforting.

There is always a 50-50 chance in case of steroids; that means 50% of the patients may get pain relief, whereas rest may not be that lucky. The duration of pain relief is temporary from one week up to one year. Moreover, repetitive Steroid injections, disrupts your natural hormonal balance and leaves you weak spinal bones and muscles. Hope you soon get the treatment plan that is best for you. Good luck.

Love,Tia.
  • prefabkid47
    GraceB wrote:
    Ron,
    thank you for the information, very much appreciated.

I'm in the 'Garden of England'. Very wet here though today so not very cheery.

Take care,
    GraceB

Hi GraceB

Hope the information was of help.

I and a group of friends will be in Ashford next Tuesday (at a well known Italian restaurant in Bank Street........... :D:D )

Regards
    Ron
  • prefabkid47
    Tia1723 wrote:
    My mum had it once, for her neck pain caused due to inflamed spinal nerves. She got a minimal effect, so I would not encourage it, personally. Though effect can vary from person to person, one must weigh risk vs benefits of steroid. My mum suffered severe rash especially on face soon after the shot, which was very discomforting.

There is always a 50-50 chance in case of steroids; that means 50% of the patients may get pain relief, whereas rest may not be that lucky. The duration of pain relief is temporary from one week up to one year. Moreover, repetitive Steroid injections, disrupts your natural hormonal balance and leaves you weak spinal bones and muscles. Hope you soon get the treatment plan that is best for you. Good luck.

Love,Tia.

Hi Tia

Many thanks for your response to my post.

I am slowly coming to the conclusion of not having the steroid injections.

My symptoms are possibly,I feel,partially due to my taking Pravastatin.I was originally on Simvastatin,which caused pains and cramp in shoulders and arms (symptoms not experienced before,nor after when discontinued taking them).

I have tried now not taking Pravastatin and the symptoms have lessened to some extent (in addition am doing gentle stretching exercises)

Time will tell.............. :!:

Regards
    Ron
  • GraceB
    I know of that restaurant Ron. Hope you enjoy your meal.

GraceB