Hi!

Options
Littlestar44
Littlestar44 Member Posts: 2
edited 10. Jan 2015, 06:01 in Say Hello Archive
Hi. Am new here and just finding my way around. I suffer with fibromyalgia and OA in my neck/upper back. Was diagnosed with x rays but basically told after the age of 25 it's to be expected. I have been suffering for a few months with quite severe pain,stiffness etc and am wondering if anyone can offer some advice? I was referred for physio but due to the fibro I found it incredibly painful and it couldn't continue. I generally look to alternative therapies as fibro causes many intolerances, one of them being, medication. Any advice would be greatly appreciated but just chatting to people with the same problems can be enough. Thanks for reading!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Littlestar44

Welcome to the forum, you will get lots of advice, support from the friendly forum folk!

Check out the other forums and just post a comment.

We are here to help with forum problems as well as checking posts. We all have arthritis issues ourselves, I have fibro so know just how hard it can be.

YEH
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hello and welcome, Littlestar :D

I have RA and OA but not fibro. I was quite astonished at your being told that fibro and OA was 'to be expected' after 25. Unless there are other contributory factors I see no reason why.

Personally I would really stress the importance of exercise. I know it can be painful at times but the alternative is wasted muscles and therefore...you guessed it... more pain. The NHS does recommend it for fibro http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalgia/Pages/SelfHelp.aspx Arthritis Care also do a booklet on it which you might find usefeul.

I'm not a great believer in alternative therapies. Though they can reduce pain temporarily I've tended to find that the amount of time they require rarely gives an equivalent amount back in pain reduction.

Could you explain how your fibro causes an intolerance to medication? I don't think I've heard anyone say that before. Many of us have problems with different meds (I can no longer tolerate any NSAIDS) but I wasn't aware that fibro itself could cause them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I have PsA, OA and fibro and of the three the latter is the least of my worries although not pleasant when it has a bite at me. You are young to have this but it is not unknown - I bet that if you had a pound for every time you've been told 'You're too young for arthritis,' you'd be quite wealthy by now. I wasn't aware that fibro could cause an intolerance to medication but I guess we are all different. I am on a triple therapy for the PsA, plus cocodamol 30/500 for the pain - I manage on four per day. I don't take anything for the fibro apart from plenty of rest.

I hope you find the forum to be a useful place for information and support: I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Hello Littlestar

Lovely to meet you :)

Sorry about your pain though.

There are lots of people on here who have fibro and OA. Gosh! After the age of 25 eh? I didn't realise that :shock:

If you have a look on the Living with Arthritis forum you can do a search on alternative therapies and fibro too. There is loads of information on there.

I am sure you've tried this before, but does heat (wheatbags) or cold (icepacks) help at all??? Or a tens????

Love

Toni xxx