Refused a Blue Badge - Council ignored Due Process

DPDance
DPDance Member Posts: 3
In December last year Reading Borough Council refused my application for a Blue Badge within three hours of my assessment on the grounds that my condition was not permanent, (osteoarthritis), and that I was about to have a knee replacement.

I appealed both of these reasons as being contrary to DfT guidelines to Local Authorities and the BB was immediately issued, "on the basis of new evidence which you supplied" . However, I did not supply any new evidence, I concentrated on demolishing the reasons which they gave for the initial refusal.

I have now made a formal complaint to the MD that the original refusal did not follow due process, and that, as a result, I had been discriminated against under the Equality Act 2010.

I am not seeking compensation, but have requested the MD to review all previous refusals in order to ensure that no other applicants have been refused blue badges on similar grounds.

In my opinion my initial application was a certain issue, and that, in their headlong rush to prevent abuse, RBC, (and no doubt other LAs), have set the bar far too high.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi and welcome to A/C,you will find all sorts of advice on he site - any technical questions,just ask
    MODA
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Good for you DPDance.

I'm really pleased somebody has challenged them. I wonder if they will admit they have made the same mistake with other BB applications or will it get swept under the carpet?

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • DPDance
    DPDance Member Posts: 3
    tkachev wrote:
    Good for you DPDance.

I'm really pleased somebody has challenged them. I wonder if they will admit they have made the same mistake with other BB applications or will it get swept under the carpet?

Elizabeth

They may very well try Elizabeth. I shall do my best to ensure that they do not.