REFUSE MEDICATION ,,IN PROTEST OF NO POINTS GIVEN

stuthebru
stuthebru Member Posts: 12
Hi yes that is my answer,now age 50 and been treated from AGE 7 (they said possable still's disease) dew to a rare genetic disorder my ligarments were too short,(about 20%+)so my hands only half opened,and are twisted to one side,,my left is the best hand having learnt guitar from age 10 but still has twisted fingers and stil the main joints in my right hand (main hand) i cannot move myself and my hand is stuck half open,the joints are 2x bigger ect and since 1992 when i was told by the dwp (real medical) no more sick notes ever,i have had hospital shoes 15 years+ (proving im worse,well not any better)
Anyway i scored NO POINTS ,and since my own doctor has an attitude of "we have no sympathy as thousands of disabled people work" i dont feel im serported at all now,,so last May i thought id die in protest since for the first time in my life (now age50) i was getting £102 a week,now im on £72 and they dont pay 100 of the £140 mortage a month im asking,and with the life insurance i have to pay,it means im living on £200 a month now thats from £5k a year to half that now,,im 9 stone+ yet 6 feet tall in shoes..no one can live like this,,no central heating or double glazing,windows freezing on the inside (for 25 years)(wait till my pics get in the news)
ANYWAY I COULD GO ON ALL DAY,with hardships and pains,,and how its np dying when you live with pain hunger and the cold,maybe im not bad enough to deserve the car ect so i never asked for it,i was given the lowest of all DLA rate "for life" (now £20 a week)when i was put onto the sick about 25 years ago,never asked for it or said im worse since i got hospital shoes (15years+ ago) BUT THER IS NO WAY IM NORMAL,,(last year i had my 1st date this century and had to sit down on the floor mid tessco"s after a 20-25meter walk (would we do that on perpose?) turns out shes a 35 year nurse and cannot believe the way im treated in wales(im not welsh) sorry there are too many points to make,ill jump again lol,,,
so being a 3rd generation theosophist(buddist veiws) i have np dying,so i have been refusing my thyroxine 150 mg a day since LAST MAY and yes ive had heart pains ect ect enough to think i may not wake up when i go to sleep,enough to get used to the idea so much that since im not dying it seems ill have to force it,so its just deciding hang or starve on natonal; tv (im used to going without food as im only 9+ stone yet 6 feet in shoes) either way i will never take my thyroxine or any main treatments again untill i score points,and if "this second try at points,with hardly any+no more evidence than the first time" fails i will be hanging myself from my medical centers chimney or starving on natonal tv showing my twisted hands that score no points,and asking the uk public to score me points and calling for a national protest we refuse medication

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Stu, I don't know where to start and I suspect many others won't either so don't expect too many replies.

You are clearly very, very upset and frustrated but please re-consider. The Citizens' Advice Breau has helped many people on here to appeal successfully against their original ruling when DLA changed to PIP. Why not enlist their help? What do you have to lose?

Not taking your medication will hurt no-one other than yourself. Please reconsider. And, if you don't take your prescribed medication, as a kind of emotional blackmail, you are not going to have a good relationship with your GP.

I don't know anything about the genetic ligament problem but, having been diagnosed with Stills' Disease myself, aged 15, I think your original diagnosis, aged 7, of ' possable still's disease' was probably incorrect. That doesn't mean to say you don't have serious medical problems. And it doesn't mean to say that the PIP assessors got everything right. Which is why I would urge you to ask Citizens' Advice for help with an appeal.

As for the alternatives which you propose - please don't even think of them. I always thought that Buddhism taught compassion for all people. What you propose smacks of revenge and hatred. Is this what you really want?

Ask CAB. Ring our own Helpline. But, please, don't throw your valuable life away in a futile gesture which would change nothing. You are worth more than that.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I can hear the distress in your post and I am so sorry about your plight. I echo Stickywicket's reply but I think your needs are maybe beyond our remit as fellow arthritics. Please contact the CAB for help with the paperwork, ring the Helpline on here or the Samaritans: sometimes all we need is a sympathetic but neutral ear. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stuthebru
    Ok first The Citizens' Advice Breau where the ones that messed my 1st claim up,i have seen a simliar local lot,but since i have near no evidence,and it looks like my doctors dont serport me,they say they will only go so far with me,but did fill in my form without it being "all at my best times" like them C A B forced me to have in my forms (i told cab it hurts to tie my shoes lances and things like " i tie a shoe lace around jars in winter to help me open+ close them" they wrote i toe my shoes laces with a jam jar,,see how well they were listening,,never again will i go ther to them silly women.
    second i seem to remember buddhist monks being run down by tanks and burning alive in protest " looked it up" and 100 have in resent years set themselfes on fire in protest to the chinese goverment over ther country,,THANKS NOW I KNOW HOW ILL GO it seems a world thing that setting yourself on fire is a protest of goverments way,, all i need is barbed wire and peterol and ther is a chance of burning these buildings down at the same time,,last time i heard that was only months ago too,a teenager i know who was sanctioned for 3 months for missing an appointment he never recieved (his mother opens his mail,he didant recieve it) for the 1st week he said if he could of got peterol he would of set the dwp place on fire and he said he had to fight himself a whole week not to do it,and that at the end of the week he realised he would have to sell drugs and thats probably what he did..THIS IS WHY IM IN FEAR,I KNOW ILL BE sanctioned in no time as i cannot get up and stand any leangth of time for at least 2 hours,so i cannot go out in the mornings,so im going die either way,,i will not sign on ever,,i shouldant of posted anything,its just ive waited since before may to die and it didant happen,thanks to you stickywicket i now know it will be barbed wire and fire and maybe burn one of these places down or at least be on tv burning like the monks as thats the idea,--and it should be clear its in protest to the goverment taking away disabled peoples rights and as much about everyone else than just me--,,ive never liked life,i can even say thats since i was age10 as i rember the day,but thats another story,
    maybe the Stills' Disease is wrong ive never had a formal diagnosis,but ive always had night sweating,even been told i burn people in bed lol i do give off some heat at times,but being only 9 stone i dont think i store fat easy,even without thyroxine
    PS phoned Samaritans in past,,,they ONLY listen,and im ok talking to anyone,so whast the point in them ? they dont even know me,cannot comment or give advise,so useless to me,they are for people who need to talk to someone,,all my family know ill die over this as ive talked about it for a year or two ,,ps everyone i know say my doctors and the dwp are wrong too,im sure when im gone they will protest in my name
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello stuthebru
    I know its may not sound much but keep talking to us and like SW says get help from cab but first of all ring our helpline..they are brilliant at listening and I know you are sick of people not doing this...there are so many people now being refused benefits and the ones that really need it are getting stuck in the middle..its awful how you are meant to live on that money ..the first thing I would do is get my MP involved ..ours has just helped a lady get her benefit raised..and coming up to an election they should be pleased to help..but please ring the helpline or Samaritans they have a lot of clout has they say here in the North...
    Love
    Barbara
  • sallyann14
    sallyann14 Member Posts: 25
    Hello stuthebru
    your post breaks my heart, the pain that comes across in your words is deafening. It seems that you need someone to listen to you and also give advice at the same time....please give the CAB another chance, but make sure you get someone that you haven't seen or spoken to before so that it is a fresh pair of ears for you. Is it possible - and i really don't want to overstep the mark here - that there a psychiatric counselor within your doctors surgery or local hospital that you could talk to?
    Keep posting on here though, we need to know that you are OK. Regards and kind thoughts to you, Sally. :)
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,462
    Dear Stuthebru

I am so sorry to hear that everything is so very difficult for you. Along with other responses you have received here we would welcome a call from you on the helpline. We are here to listen informally and in confidence. Our number is 0808 800 4050 10am – 4pm weekdays.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • stickywicket
    Stuthebru, as you can see there are several people on here who would like to help you. I think it's sometimes difficult when we can only communicate by written words. Hearing a 'proper' human voice is more natural. If you've not already done so, why not take up our Helpline's offer for you to contact them on their freephone number?

You need someone who is on your side, who will speak up for you. Maybe a Social Worker would be a possibility. Maybe our own Helplines could suggest something helpful. What, I think, might be working against you is that you say your doctors are not on your side. If, as you say, you've never had a formal diagnosis of Stills then no-one is likely to accept that you have it. You need to find out exactly what your health problems are. Then you have something concrete to present to the people processing your PIP application. Have you thought of changing GPs? You could start with a clean sheet and maybe...just maybe get to the bottom of your health problems.

Please try our Helpline people. They've offered help and I'm sure they mean it.
    Steven Wright
  • m4r14j
    m4r14j Member Posts: 13
    Hi Stu,

I understand you're in a lot of pain physically and emotionally, I sometimes feel that way myself for different reasons.

I don't think there's anything i can add that others haven't but I agree with barbara had you thought of contacting your MP? when i was a kid i kept having an operation postponed so my mum contacted the MP who spoke to the hospital and i got my operation the next week... granted this is 23yrs ago but my point is that they can speak on your behalf, I've heard many people have had all sorts of problems solved when contacting their MP.

go here: http://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/contact-your-mp/

use your postcode to find your MP and how to contact them. explain to them everything and see what they can do to help? also have you appealed already? or requested copies of the medical you underwent and the decision process?

take care, & please take the meds!
    maria
  • stuthebru
    hi first i dont need anyone to talk to,im a talker so i tell most people my problems,,and samaritans only listen ,which i feel is usless,people i know listen but still have ideas,these talk places dont give advise do they ? and i can talk for ages realing problems out and then they give up and say they have to go before i have all my problems out,lol
    arthritIs care i phoned ages ago,to ask what they are doing to stop us losing our rights = NOTHING so what do they do,,just listeners again,,flipping usless why not fighting for our rights ?
    being diagnosed also means nothing SINCE atos accepted everything my ostio aurthitus,still deases even wearing hospital shoes meant i had troubles,,BUT STILL GAVE ME NO POINTS ,,THAT IS WHY this lot should be fighting for our rights as arthitic people are getting no points
    my MP was helping me with my 1st claim,but i let it go as a another apeal was usless with forms already filled out wrong,and i stoped answering his letters after 3 people died i knew last year,and my daughters brother (,my step son from the early 80"S and frend ever since) he was only 35 and we still dont know why,as he died of percribed drugs and a having cold they say.
    i also found it kept me alive as he took my place with upsetting my family,so i couldant die last year
  • stickywicket
    stuthebru wrote:
    arthritIs care i phoned ages ago,to ask what they are doing to stop us losing our rights = NOTHING so what do they do,,just listeners again,,flipping usless why not fighting for our rights ?

That's just not so, stuthebru. If you look at the other pages of this website you'll see that Arthritis Care do an awful lot to help disabled people and stand up for their rights. Much of it is 'invisible' ie liaising with other disability charities in order to have a bigger, stronger profile but the whole point of Arthritis Care is to help disabled people and they do.

I hope someone from AC will come on here and list some of the many ways they do work to preserve the rights of those of us who have arthritis.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Dear stuthebrew,

It must be very difficult to be in your position, having been denied benefits and unable to work.

What was your reason for joining and posting on this website? Things happen for a reason - perhaps you need to get your thoughts down to a sympathetic audience - you certainly have that here.

Maybe it was to work out your way forward from here, as difficult as that seems. You seem to see only one solution, taking your own life, which would be devastating to your family who still need you and are still grieving over the death of a family member. Please use the services available.

It may be that mental health services would be most helpful right now.

For us to respond usefully you need to write shorter posts, letting us know what you need, then maybe we can help you feel more positive.

Take care
    Mod YEH
  • stuthebru
    hi,,i came here to see if others would join my campain (refusing ,medication,and treatment in protest) and ive been waiting for a heart attack since summer,but i just get the heart pains and dizyness from low blood pressure so far,although my arms and legs really feel cut off this last few days,so hopefuly ill drop soon,im really feeling the cold too,and having not been able to think normaly for ages,(but well enough to know whats what)
    i did ask what are you doing to help protect our rights = no answer,in fact was a "we dont do""we lisiten ect" so AC if im found fit for work again what would you do,my hands look like im 100 years old with there twists and joints 2x bigger ect,so would you go to the media and make a fuss for me,,,no you wouldant,,would you get me an MIR for better prof ? would you tell my doctor he is wrong ? would you tell atos they are wrong,,would you tell the media people are wrong about me ,,what would you "DO" LISTEN ? LOL STU
  • stickywicket
    Come on, Stu, think about this. Firstly, AC have no proof that you or anyone else on here are who we say we are. Secondly, they are not medical professionals so their opinion on any one of us would be of no medical value or expertise whatever and certainly of no use for an ATOS assessment or getting someone an MRI. Thirdly, with their limited resources and with the aid of a lot of unpaid volunteers, they help thousands of people all the time by giving them information on their diseases, the opportunity to explore how best they can cope with their pain and disability and the means of talking with others in similar situations. That's not just listening: it's actively caring and many of us appreciate it very much.

Please, go back on your medication, change your GP if you have a poor relationship with your current one and try again with your MP who, it seems, was trying to help you until you 'stopped answering his letters'. There are people out there who can help you but you, also, have to listen to them. There is no guarantee, for anyone, that we will get the benefits we think we deserve. We all have to have a Plan B for living with our disease(s). Please come and join us.
    Steven Wright
  • m4r14j
    m4r14j Member Posts: 13
    I agree with SW.

and you know what... i'm going to be maybe a bit harsh here stu - but sometimes that's what people need, and having lost 3 close family members in the last 3 years myself i don't have the patience of a saint anymore so forgive me anyone else if you think i'm OTT.

people on here have been offering you sympathy, compassion and advice - what you do with it is up to you but to attack people for it is hurtful and ungrateful. and i frankly find it a bit rude and offensive.

everyone on here has their own pain and their own difficulties to deal with here in life and yet they are freely giving of their help in what way they can give it - but you are only seeing your side of it and not acknowledging that everyone else on here also has problems.

I can't talk for everyone else - only myself:

I am giving you understanding and compassion by listening to your problems and trying to give you advice that might help. i am doing this because until i joined this forum i felt perhaps like you do, misunderstood, abandoned and in a sense not accepted by the people in my life who were able bodied and didn't understand how my life had changed, they kept wanting things from me that i couldn't do and expecting me to "get better". So i am trying to give you human kindness much as i would like to receive. i'm typing this stuff to you despite having hand and wrist problems and suffering pain whilst doing it.

the truth in life is there is no fairy godmother: if you want someone to contact the media - why don't you? why you would ignore offers of help from your MP is just beyond me - my MP couldn't give a c**p and i wish he would! It makes me think that really you just want a self pity party and you can have that, it's perfectly valid but at some point you still have to pull yourself together and get on with things - as we all do! If all you want is to rant - then end your post "end rant". don't attack people for what they are offering you. It's a shame that some people like CAB have offered you help and it wasn't very good - but surely if you had checked the form before sending it, especially whilst the person was there filling it in - you could have corrected those mistakes. I don't know why you failed the medical though you have not mentioned that? my form was not very accurate either because my condition was a lot worse 13 months later but maybe i was just lucky because the medical reflected my current state. but You have to take responsibility for yourself Stu!

Likewise you can not come on here and tell other people not to take their medication - it is irresponsible and childish. If you wanted to approach it more positively you should have come on here and asked people to join a protest of some sort that did not include them being in increased pain / withdrawl / worsening of symptoms & health and potentially putting their life in danger.
  • merri
    merri Member Posts: 190
    I think you've had some good advice here.

I'm so sorry that you're in such a situation, it sounds incredibly difficult and you sound desperate, but there are people out there who will help and support you, even though it might not feel like it at times.

I know that you're not taking your medication in protest, but in real terms the only person who this is harming is you. If you do die because of this, then using your logic, those who have refused you help will have won. If your MP is willing to help, then let them. I know it can be hard to accept help sometimes, usually when we need it the most but please accept their help so that you don't have to struggle and live like this. No-one can take away the pain or health problems that you face, but by accepting help from your MP, you may find that your financial problems ease, which in turn reduces stress and therefore pain.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    I completely agree with the last couple of posts
    I have been reading this thread since you started it.
    I can understand someone coming on and wanting to start a campaign.....AC are all for campaigning.
    To come on and "have a go" at people that have only tried to help you is the height of rudeness
    To ask us to join you in a campaign of "refusing medication" is the height of stupidness. I doubt that we are going to start campaigns that will harm us and lead to our death which is what you seem to want....and a slow lingering one at that.
  • lulubell69
    lulubell69 Member Posts: 110
    I agree with the last few posts on here. A totally alternative view other than relying on your decreased benefits is to possibly think about employment. If you have never worked for decades maybe you should visit your job centre and discuss what options are Available. Disability advisors can help and advise you with c.v.'s, applications, courses etc. Even working voluntary will give you a new lease of life, and before you immediately dismiss this there ARE many many disabled people in employment, paid or unpaid. I ( aswell as many others on here )worked full time with very severe rheumatoid arthritis for many years until it finally beat me. The sense of achievement and independence will certainly give you a great sense of pride and will enable you to meet new people and do new things.
    I find it increasingly sad (and frustrating) that many people go through life never being financially independent and in employment, although I am very aware that some people can never work due to severe physical, learning and mental disabilities.
    However, as other have said, you really are only hurting yourself by stopping medication. Why don't you Look at this whole issue as a new beginning, a new start in life. Instead of focussing on what you can't do why don't you think of the things you can do and build on that.
    Many people on here have given excellent advice and I believe arthritis care do a fantastic job for us sufferers and I for one would personally like to thank each and every one of them. So thank you.
    I really do wish you well and please keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Lesley
  • stickywicket
    How are you doing, stu?

I've been thinking of you and remembering what you wrote at the bottom of your first post:

"Needs bring experience,
    experience brings Love,
    love falls to ego,
    through love without ego and selfless love is found,
    selfless love leads to compassion,,
    and i think wisdom is coming next"

How's it going?
    Steven Wright
  • stuthebru
    ok first i didant attack anyone here,, stickywicket had said if your a buddhist suiside shouldant be an opption,so i was saying im not a buddhist i just have buddhist beleafs as in rencarnation and personal evolution,and looking it up found over 100 buddhist monks had burnt themself or suiside in the last few years in protest to there goverment watever,so buddhist do,and then finding out setting yourself on fire is the way goverment protests are oftern being done now throughout the world,im thinking its a good way (as i hate and live with the cold so much and would rather burn than most ways) so thats my attack on people here ?
    second,,saying refusing meds in protest is not for everyone,only them that feel there is no way out and will just die like me,as they know they cannot live upto the new signing on commitments and will be sanctioned at every turn
    third,,i did say ,MY MP COULD ONLY GET ME A "RE TRAIL OF MY 1ST APEAL",.which i could not win with the forms filled out wrong by C A B ,
    which i could not win (told by many people) he wasant interested in my claim only that they had done the proceedings wrong (like they do for everyone here,by telling your "representative" in your appeal they cannot talk at all,,)
    forth im the one thinking "maybe i could try doing this or that" and my family reminding me i cannot as this or that would happen
    5th-- my good news is i started a relationship before xmass (3 months+)
    my first date this century and guess what i had to sit on the floor mid tesco"S as her wine picking took 5mins,and id had enough (who would do that on perpose i looked pathetic)
    in my defence this lady is a STAFF NURSE and has been a nurse for 35 YEARS SINCE SHE WAS AGE 17 (LATE 70"S) AND SHE SAYS NO WAY AM I FIT FOR WORK,MY DOCTORS ARE TOTALY WRONG,AND SHE WANTS TO COME DOWN TO BANG THERE HEADS TOGETHER,AND ALSO COME TO ANY MEDICAL WATEVER I GO TO
    my other problem as dating again has shown me,,i cannot fall in love as i cannot consider a future any more,and i cannot change my mind,,half the day i want to die,then at some point i feel thats silly and maybe i could do this or that,,but the next day im back wanting to die again,,im being split into 2 people,that are totaly opposite,its been like this from the start,,but its getting more exstream as it goes on,and im totaly sure if or rather when i get no points again,ill explode and go out in a blaze of glory,wheather i want to or not,,i can agree thats silly,and i must make sure i put no-one else in danger,so i know im not totaly crazy,but id had enough of living with pains and the cold along time ago,and ive been ready to give up for many years i just do the right thing and carry on,but once the world doesant beleve me im far more ready to say "bye then"and my buddhist beleafs make it very easy to not fear dying.
    stickywicket "i dont mean to ofend you mate" i also came up with that part i wrote (needs--wisdom) having lived it,,love like illnesses teaches us things,if we are not selfish
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I have found the support here very helpful. I'm glad to hear you are in a relationship but wonder if you have asked your GP for support around your depression? As for your PIP application I don't think it is fair for you to put all the blame for the failure of this on CAB, you keep telling us they filled in the form wrongly, but it was your responsibility to check it over and make sure the information was correct, I can't help but wonder if part of your reaction and anger over the failure of your claim is that you know in your heart of hearts that you should have done this.

This may seem harsh but in life we all have to take responsibility for our actions, good and bad. Life is about choices, we don't choose disease but can choose, to some extent, how we let it effect us and part of this lies in the care we take of ourselves. Suicide is the choice some take, but it is hard on those they leave behind.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stuthebru
    hay when i went to see C A B to fill my forms as my hands hurt to write ,they first complained for 10mins about having 10x the work now people had all these claims and atos forms,then every time i said say this or that,they said you cannot say that,its yes or no and you carnt say no if ther is some yes,then at the piont we could say anything,i said tell them i tie a shoe-lace around my coffie jars in winter to help open them,and that it hurts me to do everything like tieing my shoes-laces,,they put,,i tie my shoe laces with a jam-jar,i wasant happy with the way it was filled out but gave up looking at what they had put when i was told "you cannot say that" to everything i came up with,,i didant release it at the time,but they had a plan,,,take no more work on,,,,now im with a similar place that is like C A B (o"tool center)
    another thing that makes me want to give up,is everyone i know says "they dont mean you" and you shouldant be made to work ect ect,and i say i wish people would sign a partition or write me a letter,,but no-one does,so harsh as it sounds they will regret that,i think it would help
  • stickywicket
    Unfortunately, many forms only allow for a YES or NO answer. It's not CAB's fault that they can't alter that. If you want to say more about what you can or can't do then a letter of support from your GP might help. If your GP isn't supportive you might want to change practices. I hope the O'Toole Centre will be able to help.

As for opening coffee jars - there are plenty of helpful devices in disability shops. I have one. I can't open any new jar without it.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Have a look at fightback on facebook. They MIGHT be able to help. They are;

A non-profit group offering welfare benefit advice/appeals and disability benefit applications completed. Free advice via 0161 8831310.

so no charge for the phone call?

CAB have probably got 10 times more forms to fill in, people like you who have had claims refused and need help appealing. They give you the opportunity to read through the forms before signing.

Arthrits care are more of a support group, which is why people like fightback exist.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Also wanted to say in your second post you say you have near no evidence, but you are getting medication. Surely the GP prescribes this for a reason? That will be part of your evidence.
    Do you get any advice from Stills disease support groups?

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • eminel
    eminel Member Posts: 23
    Hi Stu I'm new here and was pretty moved by your posts. It's some months on and I'm hoping you are in a better positon now.