advice

michelle240
michelle240 Member Posts: 3
Hi
I am 47 yrs old and i have had osteoarthritis for over 3 years now . Its only last few months that doctors have choosen to help me and sent to orthopedic team after severl scans i have been told that i am too young for a knee replacement. I have been giving co codamol and also had cortisone injection which only lasted three weeks in april. I an unable to take anti inflammatory tablets due to cyst on liver and kidney. Pain is so bad it makes me cry, i am currently on the sick as my job entails standing anything from 4 hrs per day to 11 hrs per day. with only 15 min break and half hour lunch. i have bought my oiwn knee brace whihyc was not cheap and i am not overweight i am doing all i can to help myself but working is ectremely difficult. Would i be able to get financial help if i stopped working due to pain?
Ny advice would greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Michelle and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry things are so tough for you right now.

Osteoarthritis (OA) is a problem for GPs as they can only give pain relief and refer us for physio and to pain clinics which teach coping mechanisms. You could ask to be referred to a physio who would give you exercises to do to keep the supporting muscles strong. Swimmi ng and cycłing are also good for OA in the knees. That apart though, we just have to plough on until surgery is a possibility.

I'm horrified that you are being asked to work 11 hours per day. That's surely illegal. I think your work is supposed to make some alterations for you but I'm not good with such matters. Try ringing our Helpline. The number's at the top of the page. They'd also be able to advise on potential benefits though that's currently a minefield.

Knee braces can be very helpful but don't leave it on for long periods as it will encourage the muscles to stop working which actually makes the pain worse.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Hi michelle240 try taking glucosamine and also try taking Strontium Citrate there's evidence that it can stabilise the bone better than Calcium they did a big trail up at the JR hospital on woman with osteoporosis and those with arthritis reported it helped them glycosamin helped me to start with but like and idiot I then carried on as I had done and messed my knees right up so try and limit what you do your joints are now finite so treat them as such, also would they let you use a high stool to rest on?, now another thing are you in a union?, if there's one there then join it, I'd also make a diary of things and get as much correspondence with your line manager and employer it helps to keep a time line and you can always refer back to it later on if you ever needed to, I suggest this as some employers aren't as sympathetic as others mine were downright hostile and devious so best keep notes and try not to say to much to your so called work mates they can leak info and or say the wrong thing some just love gossip so try not to give them to much ammo.

Regards

Mell
  • Sonia50
    Sonia50 Member Posts: 33
    Hi all .. reading these posts struck a cord with me. I was diagnosed with OA of hands, ankles and neck in Nov last year ... I'm still getting used to it really ... some days I'm fine, others not so and thats when I struggle with work. I am a housekeeper on a private estate (think Downton Abbey and you wouldn't be far wrong!). My job is quite physical .. cleaning, cooking, laying and cleaning out the fires, preparing rooms for guests and often cooking and serving at dinner parties and, of course butler duties for my boss (yes really!) For sometime I avoided telling him about my OA, but now I have all the info from the consultant I've past it on. I really love my job, but I am struggling .. I find it difficult to pace myself and feel tired and sore - my boss has been very understanding .. but I hate not being able to do things ... cooking is a big part of my remit, but my hands just won't work sometimes and ironing is a real pain - I struggle to hold the iron for any length of time, and carrying trays is so difficult. I find if I over do it, I'm fit for nothing the next day .. but I don't yet have the skill to pace myself ... so frustrated with it all. How do I learn to slow down?!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, learning to slow down is far from easy, especially is one is used to being busy (my essential nature is similar to that of a sloth so it was no biggie for me :wink: ) but you have a physically demanding job, there's no mistake on that front. It all sounds rather lovely but must be very challenging for you now that OA has moved in too.

Are you the only staff member? I was self-employed so have not experience of negotiating with a boss but would he be willing to employ someone else to help you with the heavier labour? As for the hands, it can help to soak them in a bowl of warm water with some Epsom salts, that can ease the aches and pains. I have no other suggestions, practical or otherwise, I am sorry. :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben