Hello...

Leachie
Leachie Member Posts: 2
edited 6. Jun 2015, 04:50 in Say Hello Archive
Hello everyone,

My story is.....I was eventually diagnosed with Juvenile Chronic Arthritis when I was 20 months old. This became Psoriatic Arthritis around the age 7. I'm now 38 and my arthritis is in nearly all of my joints. Over the years I've been on various drugs - my main drug at the moment is Ustekinumab (which has been fantastic on my skin but not so effective on my joints). I'm having problems with my hands at the moment (in fact I'm getting my thumb fused tomorrow) and have come on here for some advice. I want to buy a wax bath for use at home, can anyone recommend one please?

Thank you all in advance,
Jackie xxx

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Leachie from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Moderator JK
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's lovely to meet you and I hope we can help with information and support. I too have PsA but began mine in adulthood - my childhood was blighted by severe eczema and asthma so on reflection the PsA shouldn't be a surprise but it was! :wink: I am fortunate in that the skin aspect is not a bother whatsoever but, like yourself, the meds have not done much on terms of relieving the arthritis as such, they have slowed its progress is all.

Wax baths for hands have cropped up on another board on the forum, the Living with Arthritis part. I have not used one but I do recall people saying that Argos sold one which was pretty good: mind you this was a few years ago now and I don't know if they still do. I would imagine that they are pretty much-of-a-muchness, my rule of thumb is always buy the best you can afford. I hope you find one, that it helps and good luck with the operation. Please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Hello Jackie and welcome from me too. Life has not been kind to you and I hope you will find empathy and support here. I've had RA since I was 15 but I've been fortunate enough never to need anything stronger than DMARDS. I'm currently on a couple.

I've come to this a bit late to wish you well with the op but I hope it all goes to plan. As for wax baths - if you enter the term in the little pink search engine box some old threads come up. I hope you'll find them helpful. And / or you could start a thread on the subject on the Living With Arthritis forum. More people look in on there.

Please let us know how the op goes :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Sarahd1609
    Sarahd1609 Member Posts: 64
    Hi. I'm Sarah. I'm 31 and have recently been diagnosed with psoriaticarthritis and ankylosing spondylitis . It has taken 2 1/2 years to get thus far. I am lucky In one sense that I don't actually suffer with psoriasis but my lower limb joints and now my hands are very bad.its so bad I've been signed off work for last 4weeks and have had trouble with my bloods so was taken off all my dmards but kept on Enbril which I had only started 2 weeks ago
    If anyone has tips to help me I'd appreciate it as have really been struggling last few weeks and just want yo give up. I I have a 6 year old and a fab family supporting me with a very loving husband but always feel like I'm letting them down xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Hello Sarah.

You are not letting anyone down. You have a serious disease and that is what is letting all of you down. Dealing with it is an ongoing learning curve.

I'm not sure what sort of tips you want. The pain and fatigue can vary a lot from one day to the next and a lot of life with arthritis is just learning when to push on, when to rest up, when to resort to pain relief etc etc. There's no map. We each have to forge our own path but doing so in company of others who understand makes it all a lot easier.

Why not post on Living With Arthritis? I think you'll get more replies.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hi Jackie, and welcome, though sorry you`ve been suffering now for such a long time. I have RA, so can`t really offer you any advice - just wanted to say hello, and I hope the op is a success.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hi Sarah, and welcome. Please, never feel you are letting anyone down. It`s a nasty disease we have, and it isn`t always easy to live with it.

I`m glad you have such a loving and supportive network - so important for the bad days which we all have. Try to be kinder to yourself - hopefully the Enbrel will kick in soon and you`ll feel some benefits from it.
  • Sarahd1609
    Sarahd1609 Member Posts: 64
    Thank you for the reply. This forum has been such a help to me to help me understand more about what I need to be thinking about. Whilst I hate so many suffer, I'm glad I can reach out to you all
    Xxx
  • juliep123
    juliep123 Member Posts: 40
    Hi Jackie
    Regarding the wax bath ,do you see an occupational therapist? They may be able to recommend a suitable product.
    Anyway welcome to the forum x
    Julie
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,403
    Hello Jackie and Sarah

A late welcome from me :)

http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41966&hilit=hot+wax*

http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37597&hilit=hot+wax*

Have added a couple of links to previous discussions about hot wax

Love

Toni xx