hello everyone can someone please advice?

susie123
susie123 Member Posts: 11
edited 25. Mar 2015, 09:36 in Say Hello Archive
Hello everyone. I am absolutely desperate for some advice and reassurance I think. I have been at home for the past 2 weeks on my own, almost no contact with anyone and I am getting really depressed I think. I have been ill with my feet, they are swollen and a bit inflamed. It started with a little lump in my foot and then a week later became inflamed and red and hot and swollen. Another week later my other foot swell up and was red and inflamed. Doctors were not sure what was wrong with me and I still dont know. I am going for blood results tomorrow to the hospital. I wanted to ask for advice. I also had really bad joint pain and now take naproxen which has helped so much I have a bit of pain in my wrists and thats all. My feet are still a bit swollen but not as red. However when I walk for 5 to 10 mins my feet go red and blue. Is this typical for arthiritis or what could it be? I really dont want to have arthiritis and it brings me down so much to think I can have it. I am only 31 ywars old and have my whole life ahead of me still :(.
Sorry I know I am moaning and dont even know what is wrong with me yet, I am just so scared. Few days ago if I put my feet on the floor thw blood rushed into my feet and they started to burn. It improves when I leep my feet elevated, the blood goes down but as soon as I put my feet down the same happens again. I cant even put my feet in hot water as they go red and burn like hell
Is this normal?
Thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums susie123 from the moderation team

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here who have a wide range of experiences of arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Hopefully someone will have had similar experience to yourself and be able to offer you some advice. I can definitely guarantee, though, that you will get a great deal of support from the forum members which should make you feel much less alone.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Moderator AC
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, things don't sound too good for you but I don't think I can help that much because my experience of arthritis has been very different.

Arthritis of any form has no respect for age or circumstance; you can be an infant or an adult - it cares not, which can come as a shock to those not in the know. Believe you me, none of us on here want to have arthritis but we have no say in the matter. As far as I can tell the 'good news' is that you have had some blood tests so let's wait and see what they reveal, yes? I have an auto-immune form plus osteoarthritis so have a creaky foot in both camps. We cannot advise as such but we do understand the frustration, the feelings of isolation and the pain so please keep in touch and we will do our best to support you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm not surprised you're depressed – so much unwelcome stuff going on and unable to get out to chat about it with friends.

It's such a long time since I was diagnosed with RA I can barely remember how it felt in my feet. I do remember my fingers because that's where it first kicked off and I thought I had chilblains on them. When it hit my ankles a bit later I recall the pain and swelling but no lumps and I certainly don't remember my feet going red and blue or burning.

I hope you can get some answers tomorrow. Not long to wait now. Please let us know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • susie123
    Thank you so much for your replies. I am extremely worried as I cant imagine being like this forever :( I keep crying all the time and I havent even been diagnosed yet. I just feel so helpless. I was told last week the inflammation mark in my bloods was raised but was only 53 so apparently not very high. Another doctor thought it was psoriatic anthropathy? Not sure if I spelt it right. I dont even know what it means. Im confused that naproxen works quite well, is that usually the case with arthritis? I have been referred to see a rheumatologist but that could take weeks or months. I also have lumps in one of my feet, I read they are called rheumatoid nodules?
  • stickywicket
    Psoriatic Arthropathy is another name for Psoriatic Arthritis but only a rheumatologist can give a definite diagnosis.

Naproxen is an anti inflammatory medication. It can help arthritis but it can also help other conditions of inflammation.

Pleas don't go diagnosing your own rheumatic nodules. I know the uncertainty is difficult but these things can take time.

Even if it turns out that you do have arthritis there is still life after diagnosis and it can be good.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I concur with Sticky, please do not start self-diagnosing because these are complex conditions and not easy for the patient to understand. If you have to investigate then stick to reliable sites - there is far too much dross out there on cyber world. There are hundreds of rheumatological conditions, with many overlapping symptoms, but narrowing things down to a specific is not that helpful because the meds that are used are the same.

You have made me recall my early days and I began with a lump under one foot, the left, but after a few months that disappeared and none have developed since. My left knee also began to swell but that never stopped. :lol: I also had severe psoriasis on my scalp (misdiagnosed as a form of dermatitis) and cleared by itself. I went for five years without any diagnosis or meds so by the time I began it was too little too late but what's done is done. After nine years (four of them on meds) psoriatic arthritis was diagnosed but nothing else changed. I was born with eczema and developed asthma aged seven so it's logical that this malarkey has followed.

I have had inflammatory markers much higher than 53 but that could be better. I was on naproxen for some time but it never worked that well, now I have diclofenac in case of need for my osteoarthritis, and that is helpful. It can take time to find the medication that works for you, which can be another frustration: we all react differently to the same drugs so one man's miracle can be another's horror.

The good news is that you are in the system and have begun with the anti-inflammatory. Do you also take a stomach protector? If you are taking the nap on a regular basis you need this too to prevent damage to your guts. The two most common are omeprazole (mine) and lansaprazole.

I began my arthritis aged 37 and am now 56. This business can begin at any age (the youngest I have come across on here was 18 months old) but now, as I sit in the rheumatology waiting room, watching people not much younger than me strolling in and out of their appointments with ease, I can see that because people are beginning the meds sooner they are having a far better outcome which has to be a good thing. I am sure you will be included in that group. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Chris01
    Chris01 Member Posts: 32
    Nothing is usual and unusual in arthritis; we all are different and arthritis can react to each one us in different way. It’s good that naproxen is working currently, but reality is it can be taken for different conditions ranging from OA, RA to regular mild to moderate pain. So don’t make your own diagnosis based on medicines. Same is the true for lump in feet. It’s true that few auto- immune disorders such as RA have been associated with such nodules but again there could be many other causes for same such as infection or joint deformity.

I hope you get your rheumy appointment at earliest. Till then, make a diary of your symptoms, foods you are taking, degree of pain on daily basis. This should help your rheumy to understand your condition better in your first appointment.

Chris.
  • susie123
    Hi everyone and thank you so much for your messages. I have been to hospital and was told the blood results came back with vasculitis. The rheumatoid factor was only 10. They said they will keep trying to speak to rheumatologist to see me as soon as possible, hopefully within a week but who knows. I just broke down and cried when I was told the news. I was so hoping for good news and now im stuck with this. I dont even know much about vasculitis. I suppose this forum is not for me anymore? Not sure :(. Im really scared :(
  • stickywicket
    I don't know anything about vasculitis either, Susie. If you must google please stick to reliable sites such as NHS Choices. There's a lot of wrong information out there.

You are waiting to see a rheumatologist. You may have a form of arthritis (There are 100s) so please stick with us if it helps. Even if we have no information we can all understand your fears and anxiety. If you try posting on Living With Arthritis more people will see your thread and respond. (())
    Steven Wright