Hi everyone
my GP is going to try steriod injections in my knee
Any info about this treatment greatly appreciated
gary.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Gary, from the moderation team.

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here who have a wide range of experiences of arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Hopefully someone will have had similar experience to yourself and be able to offer you some advice. I can definitely guarantee, though, that you will get a great deal of support from the forum members which should make you feel much less alone.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

ModEm
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Gary and welcome from me too :)

I've almost always had good results with steroid injections. This isn't the case for everyone and there's no way of predicting in advance whether or not they'll help but I think most people find they do. The effect doesn't last forever but it's great while it does and it can sometimes just enable us to get the joint moving properly again.

If your knee has a lot of fluid on it they might drain it off first.

One thing that can help enormously is to rest the leg as much as possible for 48 hours afterwards. This helps to keep the injected steroid where it's most needed rather than dissipating off elsewhere.

Good luck :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, over the years I've had many of these in my knees (draining first then the steroid, always done in hospital) and they didn't achieve much, three days tops of a slightly easier life. Those were for my auto-immune arthritis, I suspect that as your GP is doing it, it's for osteoarthritis? I had one in my right ankle for my OA and that made a difference for around three months. Good luck, as Sticky said rest the joint afterwards for at least 48 hours to give the jollop time to sink into the joint and, hopefully, get to work. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • gary1959
    gary1959 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks folks
    when my GP suggested having the injection
    She didn't tell me anything about it , and she just arranged for another GP
    to do it (having it done on Thursday 16th Apr) and i rather stupidly
    didn't ask any questions regarding the whole thing.
    Got to speak to the doctor who is doing the injection
    on the phone today and asked him if I could go to work the next day , I work as a office messenger in a very busy large company with no or very few opportunities to sit down
    Plus im wheeling and carrying around heavy boxes and parcels all day.
    Explained this to him.
    bit confused really as a lot of information I have googled up says you should rest the day afterwards.
    Cheers Gary.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It doesn't sound ideal, Gary. If you can take the day off work you'll be doing yourself a favour.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Gary and welcome to the forum..
    I have had steroid injections in different places including my knee, not a clue why but some are done at the GPs or doctor at the hospital and some are done under Xray in theater,but I was told to rest the day after ,if you dont and it doesn't work you will always wounder if its because you didn't rest..if you get the gist..good luck I hope it works for you.
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Couldn't you ask to have it say on a Friday late-ish if you have Saturday off for example.

I have it in my head that the longer the steroid stays where it's put (and is not dispersed by us moving about) the better. Does make sense.

Sorry Gary - welcome to the forums from me :)

Love

Toni xx
  • gary1959
    gary1959 Member Posts: 14
    Good morning folks
    bit of a wet and miserable isn't it ? :-(
    Yes, think will take the day off work after my injection
    just in case ....plus it is Friday :-D