happygirl
happygirl Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Mar 2015, 14:47 in Say Hello Archive
Hello I am a new member of forum. I have osteoarthritis in my hip.
At the moment i have pain at the top of my leg and my buttocks.
If any one out there has the same trouble I would like to hear how you deal with the pain .I am in my eighties and still very active when not in pain.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

All best wishes

Moda
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's lovely to meet you and I hope we can help with information and support. You sound as though you have a very positive attitude and that is half the battle when living with arthritis in any of its varied forms.

I think the first line of defence against the pain is pain relief, it does not take it all away but it does dull the sharper edges, enabling us to get on with the things we need to do. I am 56, have OA in a number of useful leg joints and another form of arthritis too, so the pain is constant and has been for year but that's the nature of my beasts: I do what I can do, I have changed the way I do many household things, I distract myself from it whenever possible and rest when I need to. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LemonMerigue
    LemonMerigue Member Posts: 62
    Hello! Welcome to the forum. I'm new here as well.

I have PsA (Psoriatic Arthritis), so not the same as you but my PsA affects both sides of my hip/lower back/buttock area (as well as my hands, upper back, neck, shoulders, knees and ankles!). I have found swimming eases this a bit. It's nice to get some weight off it every now and then. It does result in some 'pay back' but it isn't too bad.

The most effective thing though is obviously pain relief as Dream Daisy has already suggested.
  • happygirl
    happygirl Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your welcome It is great to hear how other people manage the pain. I do take pain killers but do not like taking too many. I have been sitting on a chair doing leg push ups, and it seems to work. For awhile any way
  • LemonMerigue
    LemonMerigue Member Posts: 62
    I would definitely recommend swimming if it's something that is available locally to you. Even if you go and just have a float about rather than actually swimming, it really helps. I hope you find something that works for you (I'm not a fan of taking copious amounts of pain killers either).
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Happygirl

WELCOME to the forums from me too :)

I recommend things like heat (hot water bottle/ microwavable wheat-bag) as well as pain relief. Like you I don't want to take too many. Like most of us probably :wink:

I have also used a tens machine with some success at times in the past.

Come on in and join us all on some of the other forums.

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello and welcome from me, too :)

I'm a big believer in exercise. You might like to try some of these. http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/LivingwithArthritis/Self-management/exercise-and-arthritis
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello happygirl and a warm welcome form me
    I have had one hip replaces and the other needs doing, butlike the others have said heat is good for the pain, and light exercise you have to keep the joints moving but not overdo it..have you seen a physio at all they could help with exercises..the pain in the top of the buttocks could be your hip but also your lower back ,that's the trouble pain can radiate from different places..did they tell you how bad the OA was in your hip.. any more questions just post them in living with arthritis..and then others can see it and hopefully help..hope to hear more from you very soon..
    Love
    Barbara