I think I've done my Achilles.

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 27. May 2015, 06:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
It sounds rather athletically laudable, doesn't it? As if I'd done one too many marathons or spent too long sweating away in the gym. The rather sad truth is that it started when I got off the recliner last night to go to bed :oops:

If I sit and don't move much it's fine. Walking is the problem. And standing is even more of a problem. Oh woe is me! How shall I tackle the washing up? I know, I'll delegate :D

However, I do have a wedding to attend next Friday followed by a trip up to Scotland.

Any suggestions, please?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Sticky, I've heard this can be really painful if hurt the wrong way. :( (Not that there's a 'right' way!) You didn't hear a snap, did you? If so, you need to get thee to a doctor ASAP. RICE? Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation should give you some relief, you poor sausage.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    The Achilles is easily damaged ..and very painful has you now know...when I was at the gym ..we had a young physio come in tho give us a talk on this..you must use ice to take down the inflammation, and a support or good supportive shoes..ie trainers to stop it moving around and plenty of rest..it will recover ,but the time depends on how bad the tear is..hope it improves very soon and you can enjoy the wedding...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    ((( ))) I honestly don't know what to suggest to alleviate matters, this on top of everything else is utterly inconvenient and un-necessary. Je suis cross. :x Is it on the same side as your agéd and unhappy TKR? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Oh dear, Sticky - I do hope you haven't. I've twice had surgery to repair Achilles tendons. If it's snapped you would have heard it - sounds like a rifle shot.

It will help if, while sitting, you try to keep your toes angled down - this will alleviate any pain you feel. Walking won't be easy, and strapping won't help unless it's done properly by a physio. It's a very difficult thing to treat, but NSAIDs May help if it turns out to be tendinitis rather than a tear. Even a partial tear would need treating, though.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Oh you poor thing. Nothing to suggest but hope despite the bank holiday weekend you manage to get it looked at properly and that it's nothing too serious.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • juliep123
    juliep123 Member Posts: 40
    I'm very sorry to hear this. I would try to see a doctor just to confirm exactly what you have done its just a pain over the Bank holiday. Hope you feel better soon and it doesn't spoil your plans too much x
  • stickywicket
    Thank you everyone for your commiseration and advice.

Advice? Yes, I'm very good at telling others to get to the doc but a bit reluctant to practice what I preach :oops:

I'm sure nothing snapped. I was a couple of feet from my son once when his knee ligament snapped on the football pitch (Just to clarify that - he was on the pitch: I was on the touchline) and I was sure it was broken judging from the crack it made.

I think it's probably all caused my ancient TKR announcing its own impending death. When the other one died all the pain was in my ankle. With the knee going inwards and the foot outwards something has to give. In this case it seems to be my Achilles.

It's not much swollen and actually, Barbara, I think my surgical shoes are partly to blame as that pair is extraordinarily heavy compared with the other. They certainly didn't help me get to bed last night.

Oddly enough, I've discovered, if I'm very careful, take small steps and keep going, I can walk forwards. What I mustn't do is stand still or take even the slightest backward step. Maybe I have become a metaphor for life :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Very philosophical, Sticky, but 'ouch', that sounds very painful. I think a visit to a doctor would be a good idea, too, if it doesn't improve, just to be on the safe side.

Look after yourself and I hope that you can still enjoy the Bank Holiday weekend.

Take care.

Meg
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    That's not nice for you sticky.Don't know about metaphor for life but if so better to be forward looking than backward....
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Take your own advice your Stickyness " get thee to the doctors ". (((()))) Mig
  • stickywicket
    OK, let's alter the header a bit. I now don't think I've done my Achilles. (Please note, everyone. I can't even get my own diagnoses right let alone yours :oops: )

Due to several factors – it's already improving: the heel isn't swollen but the foot is; plus a late recollection of my 'behind the knee' muscles being very tight and unco-operative when I was exercising last week – I'm now fairly sure it's all caused by the death throes of my 34yr old TKR. I shall contact my surgeon tomorrow and tell him he may have his wicked way with me at last. He'd have been happy to do it 3-4 years ago but I wasn't in pain so I opted to hang on to it.

I think I should make the wedding and the trip to Scotland but I'll need more skill at steps (two deep ones to enter the house) for the latter. I struggled with a 1 1/2” one yesterday.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Some good news then, very glad it isn't your achillies tendon but I hope you don't have to wait too long for the op, though that won't be pleasant either. Good luck with the steps... maybe there will be a couple of hunky men there who coukd give you a leg up so to speak....or thinking of the late Brian Johnson help you get "your leg over"!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I`m pleased it`s not your Achilles, Sticky, but your foot still sounds painful, so I hope it improves sufficiently for you in time for the wedding, and your trip to Scotland.

Also, good luck with the knee replacement process - though I think you`re an `old hand` at this, are you not?
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    You know your body better than anyone else and 34 is quite impressive for a knee replacement, isn't it? You've done really well, Stickster and I agree that this is the right time for the op because sometimes you just know. We will - as always - be with you and thinking of you. No doubt you'll take it in your (careful!) stride in your usual, wonderful manner. Take it easy. x
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I think your THR being 34 years old has done extremely well, as indeed, you have in keeping it going so well for so long. I'm sorry you are in pain at the moment, I hope it settles a little so you can enjoy your holiday away as much as you can.

Would it be possible for you to take a cancellation for a hip revision op? I know it's not always possible for everyone but, from experience, it can drastically shorten the wait. However, this is, of course, a very personal approach and I do understand that not everyone wishes to go down it.

Take care of yourself and try to get some rest.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, this all makes sense now: knee turning in, foot turning out, very heavy shoes and an agéd TKR, hmmmmmmm. Something indeed had to give and it has but not as badly as it could - result! :D I hope you are able to contact the right people today and that something can be done very soon. With the combination of your resilience and progress in surgery this could be done in your garage on a Saturday morning, just in time for you to deal with lunch for Mr SW. :wink: Please le us know how you get on, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Just wanted to check in and ask how you're getting on today.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Bless you all! You're very kind (which I already knew) :D

I was hoping to be able to tell you I'd rung the secretary but no-one is answering and her voicemail box is full, presumably with a Bank Holiday backlog, so I'll keep trying.

I'm now feeling a complete fraud as I'm in very little pain. The ankle is almost OK although the knee is playing up a bit and is even tighter when exercising so I think my second diagnosis was correct.

DD, please stay away from my husband :shock: He has often expressed a willingness to 'have a go' at me in the garage with his B & D work tools and bench. He is resolutely undeterred by his complete ignorance of anatomy.

Grace, I have every intention of saying I'll take a cancellation if possible. I'm rather hoping I might, with luck, get all this sorted so that we can still get out to our son in California next spring after serving my 6 month's long-haul flight (DVT prevention) ban. Now that would be a perfect result.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    Well I finally managed to get through.

I was told by a rather harassed-sounding secretary that I could only book myself in if I'd seen him in the last 6 months. When had I last seen him? I said I hadn't a clue. She got my file out and said it was April 2014. I don't know what was in the file (Probably that my next appointment should have been last month) but she then changed tack and said an appointment will be forthcoming though she warned it could be for some time hence as he is 'currently working on his own'. Fine by me as it means I should see the boss and he's very, very good.

I shall await the letter and then ring to ask about a cancellation. Meanwhile, stuff's not brilliant but should get me to the wedding, and Scotland, and back.
    Steven Wright