Quick Update!

bubbadog
bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
edited 1. Jun 2015, 16:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone, Still on the mend, trying to behave but as you know resting up and not being aloud on your feet much is a hard thing to do! I did do a little to much Friday and suffered spasms in the injured site on my spine every time I got up and moved about! And my OH was on a long weekend off so we decided to go and test some stair lifts at a local company he found while surfing the internet. I went out in my wheelchair but had to keep getting out my hair and moving onto the stair lift seat so that set my spine off. The man is coming round my house this afternoon to measure up for the stair lift and quote for it and he said he could come and fit it within a fortnight!! After we decided to go to the nursery and look for some flowers for the garden. So I had a morning out when I'm suppose to be resting up for my spine to heal! Hence causing the spasms all afternoon! :(

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That sounds like a rather overactive day for your spine. I do hope the stairlift will help matters.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Hope the stairlift helps. It took me 2 years to persuade my mum to get one, she has severe OA in both knees and hips but adamantly wont have joints replaced. The stairlift has improved her life at home beyond measure, indeed she said only this weekend what a difference it makes, and how she wishes she'd had one sooner. Really hope that yours is as helpful.

Take care.

Deb x
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I'm with Deb on the stairlift issue - I didn't want one either, until I had no choice : it was much less bother than selling our house & buying a bungalow. I try to use it only when the RA is being particularly spiteful, but it's reassuring that it's there whenever I need it. It's especially handy if I'm carrying things - I have to be empty-handed going upstairs as I use my hands/arms to help climb them.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Just wanted to say that I hope you're not overdoing things and are giving your spine time to heal.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Make sure you are kind to yourself.

Good luck with the stair-lift. I hope you manage to find one suitable and that it helps. We moved into a bungalow so avoided having to get one, however, my mum had one installed. Initially it was for her use; then my dad needed to use it. Since he passed away that stair lift has been one of things keeping mum in the house. Without it, she'd have had to have been moved years ago.

One thing I would suggest if you don't mind. Make sure you get some kind of service/breakdown cover. If you don't have some kind of cover in place a call out can cost £80 and then you have to pay for parts and labour on top of that.

I hope the chap who to install it doesn't have a well known packet of crisps in his toolbox! If he does, best not to try and purloin them. :lol::lol:

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    You have my sympathy, I've many years' experience of back spasms and it's very uncomfortable. I do hope all your exertions don't make things worse.
  • daffy2
    How's the back today? I hope it's not playing up too much after yesterday's exertions.
    BTW I know it was a typo, but you saying you had to keep getting out your hair conjured up some interesting images - for some reason the flounce that Miss Piggy does which flicks her hair back stuck in my mind(probably wouldn't do a sore back much good!)
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi
    sorry not been on here much so just caught up with things for you. Sorry to hear about all you have been going through, but hope you are starting to improve little by little. The stair lift sounds like a very good idea, 2 weeks sounds quick too!
    Take care and try to rest as much as you can xx
    NB
  • bubbadog
    Hi everyone, chosen my stair lift and it's being fitted Tuesday. Back is starting to get somewhere the spasms happen now and then so know when to rest better now.
    Had some bad news yesterday night my Dad passed away, trying to get my head around the situation as some of you know I was estranged from him but I'm still dealing with the shock of it.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Oh Dear you poor thing :(

It can be harder to get your head 'round if you are not on good terms with someone when they die.

I know you have a brilliant and supportive husband, but I am sending my love and ((())) to you.

Toni xxx
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    So sorry to hear about your Dad, hope you have family around to support you
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello bubba ..I am sorry to hear about your dad...hope you can sort this in your mind, sometimes its a no win... :(
    And I hope the stair-lift arrives on time what an help that will be..you take care x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I'm very sorry to hear your sad news, Bubba. A loss is always a loss and this will hit you differently as you were already grieving a different type of loss because you were estranged. My thoughts are with you. Be kind to yourself and take it easy. We are thinking of you. xx
  • daffy2
    The death of someone you've had a difficult relationship with is hard. A friend of mine recently lost her father from whom she had also been estranged for many years, and has been surprised at how hard she has found it - as she said 'Now I can never ask him why'
    Take care, be kind to yourself.
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Oh, Bubba! It never rains but it pours. I only just read about your Dad. I am sorry. I had read the first part of the thread the other day and was just popping by to say I hope you got things with the stairlift sorted.

I am glad that you are learning to rest better - I was going to tell you off for DTM the other day!!

Keep looking after yourself. And don't DTM! (())
  • bubbadog
    daffy2 wrote:
    The death of someone you've had a difficult relationship with is hard. A friend of mine recently lost her father from whom she had also been estranged for many years, and has been surprised at how hard she has found it - as she said 'Now I can never ask him why'
    Take care, be kind to yourself.

Daffy that is what I spent the whole weekend thinking and saying 'why was he so cruel and broke my heart into little bits. And we didn't get to talk or he apologise for the things he said.' That's what hurts the most at the moment. I've spoken with my step-sister the weekend and we talked because I'm unable to get to the funeral because my OH can't take the day off due to work (out fitting) & my sister can't get my chair in her car.
  • daffy2
    This is all very raw and difficult for you at the moment, but for what it's worth my friend is now coming to the view that even if she had asked 'why', there's no saying she would have received answers she found acceptable, or even any answers at all.