chest xray?

Gwynedd
Gwynedd Member Posts: 32
edited 4. Jun 2015, 13:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, I've had my first rheumatology appointment which resulted in further blood tests and Xrays. I've been trying to find info as to why i had a chest xray along with feet and hands. Does anyone have an answer or a clue as why? I haven't a cough or chest infection.
Any advice welcome, thanks
Make hay while the sunshines

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I believe it's quite common to have a chest x ray early on, partly perhaps because there are sometimes lung issues with RA, and also because some of the meds can have side effects that affect the lungs. I guess if they have a baseline x ray they can pick up any lung damage more quickly if there have been changes. I certainly had a chest x ray at the outset, and a later one revealed I had developed bronchiectasis due to many chest infections whilst taking DMARDs....one of the bonuses of working amongst young children who were generous in sharing their bugs! As a result I am unable to take any of the more modern meds which might control my RA more effectively.

It sounds like your rheumy is on the ball and being thorough, which is always a positive....if my original rheumy had been more thorough I would probably not have bronchiectasis today.

Deb x
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hi, as Deb said, it's fairly common to be given a chest X - ray - I had one before starting MTX, and then Lung Function tests while I was on it. They do an X-ray too, if you move onto one of the biologics, to check for TB, I was told.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Yup, it's the norm. I think your rheumatologist is being thorough, I've had chest Xrays and lung function tests before all my new meds (I have a history of chronic asthma) but this is a standard procedure for a 'newbie'. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Gwynedd
    Thanks to all :)
    It all happened so quick I didn't have time to ask !! He was thouragh but he wants to see a swollen toe or finger before a definite diagnosis, I've only ever had a swollen toe once a few months ago, I'm actually hoping for it to happen again even though it was extremely painful!
    DD did you have swollen digits at the start of your PSA?
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Gwynedd

Swollen toes and fingers appear to swell up when they feel like it and generally not when you have an appointment to show the evidence. :roll: If it happens in the meantime, take photos and show them to your rheumatologist.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I think it's to give them a 'baseline' for future comparison Gwynedd :)

I remember it too.

Love

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    No, I didn't: mine began in my left knee rather than the traditional favourite places, namely the smaller joints of the body. Many years on all my toes and fingers are affected but the disease is controlled by the meds - doesn't stop 'em hurting though! :lol: DD
  • Gwynedd
    I think I just need to relax and realise that this is going to be a long process,
    i.e. a lifetime and so I'm not going to get immediate answers. I was unrealistic in thinking that I'd see the rheumy and get a diagnosis. I can only imagine how this process has been for all you guys and gals who've had to deal with these life changing symptoms. Patience is going to be my new best friend :)
    Thanks to you all for advice and support xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Bumped for littleelf.
  • littleelf
    littleelf Member Posts: 69
    That is probably the best advice ... patience. I know I Am expecting an instant diagnosis, but I'm sure it won't work that way for me either.

I now understand the reasoning behind taking photographs.

Keep us informed won't you?! It's nice to know how you get on, with myself beginning this process too x
    True strength is smiling when you want to cry; laughing to hide the pain; and going on, no matter what. <3