Rheumatoid factor test results

Elmbow
Elmbow Member Posts: 80
Hello. I just have a quick query. I am not diagnosed with RA but I think I have signs of it. My rheumatoid factor test results was expressed as:

20 iu/mL <

The normal range given was < 20 iu/mL. I do not understand my result, with the < symbol after the number. Does my result "20 iu/mL <" mean it was less than 20?

Any help appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to the forum Elmbow, I am sure you will find support, advice and light relief on the various forum areas. The helplines team will be here tomorrow.

I am one of the moderation team, we all have one or more arthritis conditions or look after family with the same. If you need help with the technicalities of the forum just get in touch via a personal message.

Take care
    Mod Yx
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    Dear Elmbow

Thank you for your posting on the forum. We cannot interpret your test result as we are not medically trained. You would need to ask your doctor what the results mean.
    Have you spoken to your doctor about the symptoms you have. You can also talk to them about your concerns that you think you may have arthritis so that your symptoms can be investigated.
    You can give us a call here on the helpline if you would like to talk things through. Our helpline number is 0808 800 4050 (10am – 4pm weekdays).
    I hope this is helpful.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello Elmbow, I do not belong to the Helpline (I am an ordinary forum member) but I do understand how tricky it is when we are suddenly launched into the world of Medicalese ( a popular second language amongst some who assume everyone else is fluent). I suspect that your query merits a visit to your GP who can, hopefully, interpret what this means. My giveaway was my high CRP and ESR figures (despite a negative rheumatoid factor) so it was apparent that I had some form of auto-immune inflammatory arthritis. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben