Methotrexate rant!

Kitty
Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
edited 4. Jun 2015, 06:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've been having MTX 25ml injections for the last 3 months. An increase from 20ml, with a reduction of my Leflunomide from 20mg to 10mg. Also taking 10mg Prednisolone which has gradually been reduced from 40mg since last September. I have one injection left, and A****a rang to arrange delivery of my next prescription. When she quoted 20ml I queried it, telling her it had been increased. She checked with my hospital, who told her it was a planned reduction based on the results of my last blood test on 18th May. Of course she couldn't tell me what the problem was, but a letter is supposed to be on its way explaining it. Probably liver function, but could just as likely be neutrophils as both have been queried for some time now. My point is, they have my phone number so why not phone to explain as well as send out a letter, which probably won't arrive until the middle of next week. At least I'd know what the problem is!! I have one 25ml injection left, I'm still going to use it. Grrr.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've had hiccups like this in the past - too many folk become involved in these matters which often leads to a breakdown in communications. Once or twice I have had to miss an injection and always note why; no delivery or no script from the hospital is classified as their fault, a sore throat is 'mine'.

It's the sharps malarkey that gets my goat: two separate visits to remove and deliver (or vice versa). I know it's nasty stuff but it's not in the same league as nuclear junk . . . or is it? :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • juliep123
    juliep123 Member Posts: 40
    I'm lucky in that my GP writes the prescription and I just collect them from my local chemist. My sharps box is exchanged at my hospital appointments when required. It must depend on where you live ,I think I prefer collecting them myself. I hope you get everything sorted out soon.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Oh, that's frustrating. I am a defender of the NHS and think their medical care is usually very good but their admin, organisation and communication is quite another matter. :roll: I collect my MTX from the hospital pharmacy, phone a week before I need it, and it is easy. Not sure if this is an option for you? My humira is delivered and it's such a faff.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    I have to say that Health Care at Home have been excellent in the 6 months I've been having meth delivered, always a phone call in good time to check what I need, a 2 delivery slot allocated on line the night before, and a named delivery driver. They have always been prompt, friendly and helpful! Maybe I've just been lucky.

Deb x
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    It's not really the delivery system I'm complaining about, although it could be better. :roll: It's the fact that my rheumy decided to send me a letter to tell me about the changes, instead of just giving me a ring. I still haven't got the letter from last week, and my injections are being delivered tomorrow, which is injection day. I have one left of the 25ml. Do I use this? Or start the new dose immediately? :? This could have been discussed over the phone, so I would know beforehand. But unless the letter arrives tomorrow (which I doubt) I won't know!! It usually takes about 3 weeks for letters from rheumy to arrive at my house. :x

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    I wonder if you could ring the rheumy's secretary and ask her to read the letter out to you so you have the information you need?

Deb x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I suppose the benefit of a letter over a phone call is that there will be a record of the letter in your notes whereas a call will not be logged - there must be a protocol to follow. In your shoes I would take what you have to continue the flow of treatment: it's not your fault that the letter has not yet arrived.

I opened my new delivery of meth today to find another sharps bin despite my saying that I didn't need one. I now have five, three for the meth and two for the humira. Excellent! :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben