had my first rheumatology appointment

Gwynedd
Gwynedd Member Posts: 32
edited 4. Jun 2015, 16:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
Well I've had my first experience of the world of rheumatology. Blood tests came back negative for all rheumatoid tests, so I've had a set of Xrays on hands,feet and chest. He hinted that it could be psoriatic arthritis as I have psoriasis, but he wants to be sure before dishing out the tablets. I have no swelling on my joints so he wants me to call him when and if I do so he can see it. Not sure what the new bloods are for, it was all a but rushed, felt like a whirlwind of questions and a very quick physical examination. He's going to call me with the latest results and let me know when he wants to see me next. So I suppose I'm no wiser but at least the trains left the station and I'm on it! :D.
Make hay while the sunshines

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    My form of inflammatory arthritis turned out to be psoriatic but was only deemed as such when my skin helpfully obliged with a bout of P on my palms and soles. When my trouble initially began back in '97 I now know I had a scalp covered in it but no-one diagnosed it as such or gave me anything to try to clear it away. Two weeks in the Italian sun in September sorted it and it hasn't returned, well, not on my head.

The good news (if it can be called that) is that you are now in the system. PsA (if it is that) is one of the sero-negative kinds of auto-immune. I hope you hear from him sooner rather than later so the next steps can be taken. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Gwynedd

My bloods are always negative too :roll:

Luckily a good rheumatologist will take other factors into account; history examination etc

Yes you are on the train now you just need to stay on it :wink:

Love

Toni xxx
  • Gwynedd
    Thank you, I intend to, have you seen the film speed, :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Bumped for litleelf.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • littleelf
    littleelf Member Posts: 69
    What sort of examination did the doctor do? Do they test for anything else whilst you are there? How long was the first appointment. What sort of things did they ask you?

Sorry about the1001 questions. I'm quite apprehensive about Monday.
    True strength is smiling when you want to cry; laughing to hide the pain; and going on, no matter what. <3
  • Gwynedd
    Hi littleelf.
    I know exactly how you feel. I felt the same, very nervous and apprehensive. I'll tell you everything that happened from the beginning, bare in mind you might have a slightly different experience.
    On arrival I gave my urine sample, was weighed and had blood pressure taken. Then I saw the rheumatologist who asked loads of questions about where the pain was,what my mobility is like,how long it lasts, medical history, ect..
    Then he looked at my hands and pressed the joints (testing for pain), he put some gel on my fingers and looked through a microscope. He then had me undress,he looked at my legs,feet and listened to my chest. Then he had me sit and stand repeatedly for a minute. He sent me for further blood tests and a chest,hand and feet xray, he hinted that he thought it could be psoriatic arthritis. He said I would be contacted this week with another appointment which arrived today. I'm being seen in August.
    I hope this helps allay any fears you may have. The whole process probably took about 1 hour, the nurses were lovely and stayed with me the whole time. If you have any more questions I'm happy to help. :D, good luck and let me know how you get on xx
  • littleelf
    Ok. It really did sound like a whirlwind. I'm going to take my daughter with me just in case I miss something. I will definitely let you know how it goes. X
    True strength is smiling when you want to cry; laughing to hide the pain; and going on, no matter what. <3
  • Gwynedd
    Good idea, I took my husband but the nurse asked him to stay in the waiting room!
    I didn't have the courage to insist, but i was ok anyway.
    Hopefully if your prepared you can have a response ready as to why you want her with you.
    Xx
  • littleelf
    Good idea ;)