Food/diet to help osteoartritis

missbentley
missbentley Member Posts: 4
edited 17. Jun 2015, 19:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

Newbie here - I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis last December and having tried some prescribed medications, I find that I am reacting to many of them.

I am very much a believer in working holistically and was wondering whether any of you have changed your diet to try and make a difference?

Many thanks

:)

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello missbentley
    Diet can be a bit of a contentious issue. As you may have already found there are any number of diets claiming to 'cure' all manner of conditions. Some people find that certain foods can aggravate symptoms and so may choose to avoid them. What you might find useful is to keep a food diary for a while and see if there are any 'trigger' foods for you. It is quite likely that if there are things which don't agree with you anyway they may not help. For me it's wheat(I'm not coeliac), which I realised more than 15 years ago was causing me problems, and if I eat it now for whatever reason I do find that joint pain joins the other effects.
    Forgot to say I too have OA(among other things)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I find that acids, pickles and vinegars aggravate my OA (controllable) as does cold and damp weather (not controllable). For some limiting their diet can make a difference but for others it achieves very little. I concur with others on here that a good Mediterranean-style diet is the best option for all areas of health. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Roadback
    Roadback Bots Posts: 35
    Hi missbently

I also avoid wheat and corn for my arthritis. Cow dairy - especially cream can effect my skin too.

My view on this is that the reason some foods react to some people and not to other people is down a few things -

1) Genetics
    2) The random nature of protein modification based on biologic triggers
    3) The ability of the immune system to regulate response to modified proteins

In RA there is a test called ACCP - anti-citrullinated protein.

Recent studies have revealed that the origin of these can be fragments of proteins from diet and bacteria.

Citrullination is form of protein modification - and in RA it is suspected to be caused by oral / gum bacteria (the same one that causes peridonitis and gingivitis). Smoking also causes citrullination.

There are other forms of protein modification - for example in Celiac the process is called deamination (where an enzyme called TTG - tissue trans-glutanimate is involved).

The rise of research in the Celiac has redefined autoimmunity - as it is evident from celiac that a small amount of gliadin wheat protein / modified then cross reacts to other parts of the body - and can affect the intestines / villus atrophy, skin (dermititis herpetiformis), brain (ataxia) and there are recorded cases of arthritis as presentation of celiac (especially in JIA). So in Celiac - when the original triggering protein is removed the cross-reaction can stop.
  • Jaclyncollin
    Jaclyncollin Bots Posts: 36
    Hello misbentley,
    I have RA and I try to follow anti-inflammatory diet, which means inclusion of fish, blueberries, blackberries, cherries, strawberries, spinach, kale and broccoli and limiting the intake of salt and processed food. For OA patients, diet plays an important role, as it is also important to keep your weight within a normal range to keep minimal load on your joints specially knee joints.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello missbentley
    I have a food diary ,and the only things to stand out at the min is sugar..I do have a sweet tooth, after a few days of cutting down things do seem to be less painful..my Indian neighbours mum and dad made me a concoction of turmeric and a few other things but nothing has yet...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Jen
    Jen Member Posts: 155
    Hello MissBently I am also a newbie to the forum :)

There are many foods that have anti inflammatory properties, I tend to consume these more during a flare up.

Pineapple, turmeric, green vegetables http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5008a3c6c4aa6450352d2303/t/51b72c7fe4b06b939d336c6d/1370958976898/anti-inflammatory-foods.jpg

I also take a course of either selenium ACE or the Osteocare with Glucosamine & Chondroitin (this also has selenium, calcium, vit D3 and C magnesium, Zinc, ginger - here is a complete list: http://www.vitabiotics.com/osteocare/glucosamine/

[Mod Edit

Please be aware: vitabiotics.com is a commercial website promoting sales of their product.
    Mod B]

You can get a turmeric and ginger supplement as well with pineapple and black pepper, I think whenever you take turmeric the black pepper helps the absorption better.

I am interested in what other people may be finding helpful.

I hope you find something that helps.
    flower2520paars.gif~c200
  • Jen
    I try and eat as healthily as I can, grow my greens and I do use a nutri bullet for both veg and fruit.

I only use cows milk in a cup of tea, the rest of the time, I use almond or coconut milk, these are great on cereal, in the nutri bullet or blender, but also taste good as a drink on their own. I sometimes add a knob of coconut oil to help the nutrient absorption, alternative add yoghurt or opt for a slice of toast with butter if I have a nutri bullet drink at breakfast or lunch.

What sort of things are you doing Miss Bently?
    flower2520paars.gif~c200
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    A healthy diet is the main thing....Arthritis Care do a leaflet on it. By all means a food diary is a good idea. Just to see if there is anything you yourself are allergic to
    I dont think there are general foods that we should say eat or dont eat.
    Just things that might help you if you dont eat them

Love
    Hileena
  • Roadback
    Roadback Bots Posts: 35
    All

I've just been told that I am posting stuff that is too technical and got a first and final warning - but these are my own words in this thread not taken from another website!

I think linking to reports and studies might not be worth it without a layman's terms explanation - I can't waste time posting stuff that gets deleted by mods :cry: . So if they are saying I can't do this - I think I will say au-revoir and may as well ban myself.

I haven't given any directives - [text edited to remove parts which are detrimental to the aims and ethos of Arthritis Care] Doctors get 2 weeks diet traing at medical school.

[text edited to remove parts which are detrimental to the aims and ethos of Arthritis Care]

I urge you all to research the links between diet and/or bacteria in arthritis - this post will be deleted.

[text edited to remove parts which are detrimental to the aims and ethos of Arthritis Care]

I am studying for a degree in nutritional practice [text edited to remove parts which are detrimental to the aims and ethos of Arthritis Care]

Have you heard of methotrexate induced intestinal permeability.

I'm out of here! :arrow: I've just resigned :lol:
  • Jen
    RB I am disappointed, so sorry you are going.

I find it rediculous that 'Too technical' information is sensored that is sort of assuming we are incapable of understanding information that someone else has decided is beyond our intelligence.

I'm shaking my head in disbelief.
    flower2520paars.gif~c200