Hips and hernias

speedalong
speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
edited 28. Jun 2015, 16:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Strangers!

Only the real "Oldies and longtermers" will remember me. I'm hoping you are all as well as can be expected and are not over doing it.

Has anyone with a THR or OA in the hip had a iguinal or femoral hernia open surgery repair on the same side? (Consultants not quite in agreement which it was!) I had the op today and although my abdomen is sore, my left hip THR is hurting more than my abdomen. Probably due to rough handling on operating table ...? Sent home with just paracetamol and iboprufen!! Luckily got some low dose co-codamol so have substituted that for the paracetamol but pretty uncomfortable. Am icing regularly.

Ho hum it's going to be a long night.

Speedy
I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Speedy, it's lovely to hear from you but not for such a reason. :( I cannot help in anyway but I know you know your stuff and will not overdo things. Anything after any form of surgery can be sore for a while and I hope things settle soon but if not then seek proper advice from, ummm, well I'm not sure who! Orthopaedics maybe? I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I echo DD's greeting as a fellow 'oldie and longtermer' :D

I know nothing of the op in question but I think your assessment is probably correct. I remember being told after my first TKR that, in theatre, they wiggle and pull and stretch the leg into positions it hasn't achieved in years. They also did something to my elbow due to bad positioning that lasted weeks.

By now you'll have got through the night, which is always the worst bit, but, if in doubt, get it checked out. Were you given a phone number? Maybe the ward where you had it done? At least your GP for advice.

Please let's know how it goes.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • speedalong
    Morning DD and SW,

Yes the night was a bit grim, as you both know pain seems worse at night. Since I can still use the left leg, I'm reasoning it's intact!

Thank goodness for forums, I spent time the wee small hours posting on here and my other forum.

I called my friend back to see S off to college for me as felt rather dizzy, but feel better after some food and caffeine. Hopefully I'll manage to drop off before he comes home as only managed one and a quarter hours sleep last night.

Take care,

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • stickywicket
    Oh I do hope you managed some sleep. We cope with everything so much better after a few zeds.

I love your reasoning re the leg but do be warned – I walked round on a broken hip for three days. (It was hard graft, though :lol: .) If tonight seems unlikely to be an improvement on last night do get things checked out beforehand.
    Steven Wright
  • speedalong
    Hi SW,
    I managed a nap this morning and another this afternoon of about an hour each, so that's something. I've also found a way to be more comfortable that meets the needs of sore hip, swollen abdomen and the knees. I don't think the hip is broken, I think the pain is the soft tissues.

How is your hip now?

Speedy
  • stickywicket
    The naps and the 'way of being more comfortable' sound like good news though I take my hat off to you if you can get more comfy with all the different needs to be taken into consideration.

I didn't mean to imply your hip was broken, only that ability to walk mightn't be the salient factor.

My THR is over 20 yrs old now and never a problem with it.
    Steven Wright
  • speedalong
    Hi SW,
    I didn't mean to imply your hip was broken, only that ability to walk mightn't be the salient factor.

No, I appreciate you were just being cautionary and saying just because I can walk on it, it doesn't necessarily mean it's ok.

20 years is very good going, I'm not far behind, with my first one now instead place for 18 years.

Keeping everything crossed new positioning plan ensures I sleep a bit more than last night.

Melly1
  • stickywicket
    Did it work?

I hope so :)

How's it all going?
    Steven Wright
  • speedalong
    Hi SW,
    Can sleep in new position for about 2 hours at a stretch before wake up because the joints need to move. Once been to loo and topped up meds, able to nod off again. So definite improvement.

Icing is really helping swelling and the pain as meds begin to wear off, bridging the gap before more can be taken. I changed my dressing today. Just really need to pooh now; the trapped wind and bloated abdomen are really pulling on my stitches.

Thanks for asking. Hoping you are having a good day?

Speedy
  • stickywicket
    You're coping so well. Yes, the loo breaks do sometimes become multi-purpose, don't they :lol: As for the bloating after an abdo op, I was once in for a D&C with women who'd had more serious stuff. The consultant would breeze into the ward smiling “Are we all f*rting freely, ladies?”
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I apologise for going AWOL but things are rough at the moment. It sounds as though you are doing all the right things, Speedy, so keep up the good work and I am sure things will settle in due course. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello speedy its lovely to hear from you,,only sorry you are suffering, I have had one THR but never heard of an hernia appearing there, doesn't sound very nice :shock: Im with the others its probably all the pulling and pushing they do...I remember the nurse saying after I said I would love to see a film of them doing my THR and she just said no you wouldn't... :shock: right I'm rambling now :lol: ..sorry I'm not much help but hope things improve very soon..please keep us updated...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Speedy
    Of course I remembeer you but I've not been on much recently so am just seeing your post now.
    Hope things are improving a bit.
    I remember after my THR I said to the district nurse that I was sore but it felt like muscles sore not the original pain.
    She said if you could just see what they do when they are doing a THR then you would realise why you are sore :lol:
    They throw your leg out of the way while they are working etc.
    Hope to see you back on again

Love
    Hileena