Golden Milk???

ClarMars
ClarMars Member Posts: 5
edited 7. Jul 2015, 05:43 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone,
A friend has recommended something called 'golden milk' for my RA? It's basically an indian recipe with turmeric, black pepper, milk etc and the results on some people have been 'miraculous'. I'm about to make some up this afternoon, and was wondering if others have had experience of it? Any port in a storm!
:D

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Many of us with an auto-immune arthritis have tried a wide variety of 'natural' remedies but I reckon the major problem with them is that they do not address the underlying issue of the over-active immune system. Turmeric is a well-known as an anti-inflammatory, as is ginger, celery, beetroot and a fair few other things. There is no harm in trying this, it won't involve a huge cost and that is always a good thing. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    Go ahead and try it. Anything that might help is to be tried. If its something that wont harm even if it doesnt help much go ahead
    Just my opinion

The usual of course....we are all different and some things work for some people and different things for others

Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello ClarMars
    Has DD says turmeric is a good anti inflammatory...so it might be worth a go..has long as it not expensive..I prefer mine in an Indian meal..but we have Indian neighbours and there parents brought me a rub back from India..sadly it didnt work for me...good luck
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Just to add to what the others have said – try it by all means but don't stop taking the proper meds. It may or may not help with the inflammation but only DMARDS (Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drugs) will hold back the progress of your RA.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jaclyncollin
    Jaclyncollin Bots Posts: 36
    As the recipe contains all natural ingredients and turmeric is well known for its anti-inflammatory properties, I would be OK for trying it. You can add honey as a sweetener. Did he mention how long you should continue to drink it, in order to see the benefits?
  • Jen
    Jen Member Posts: 155
    Hi ClayMars

I have read quite a bit about it and watch a few of the you tube videos, so I am pleased your friend has mentioned to you about it. Please do let us know how you get on with it.

I think you would have to keep making and taking it for 2-3 months before you may notice any difference.

I myself use turmeric in cooking, more during the winter months. I take the supplement ginger turmeric and Bromelain (from the pineapple) all are meant to be helpful for inflammation. I also eat fresh root ginger in my food most days. I think you can also get turmeric and black pepper supplement. Fresh black pepper is good to have at the ready in the kitchen to add to food especially when using turmeric.

Anything that may help is always worth a try and apart from anything else these are foods with nutrients that in addition help boost the immune system so you can't go wrong really.

I will be looking forward to reading how you get on.

Very best wishes to you.

Jen
    flower2520paars.gif~c200
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    It might be worth checking with a pharmacist, if you choose to take active ingredients as supplements rather than from food, that there won't be interaction with any medication. Some foods interact with certain drugs and as supplements contain many more times the amount of a substance than would be present in food there might be unwanted side effects. Just because something 'occurs naturally' doesn't mean it's safe in all circumstances and formulations.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Jen wrote:
    Anything that may help is always worth a try and apart from anything else these are foods with nutrients that in addition help boost the immune system so you can't go wrong really.

Unfortunately you can go wrong. For those of us, like the poster, with auto-immune types of arthritis, the last thing we need is to have our immune systems boosted. Our immune systems are already overactive which is why we need meds to suppress them.

As daffy wisely says, the amounts present in foodstuffs are unlikely to do any harm but supplements are a different, unregulated, minefield.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jen
    Jen Member Posts: 155
    Hi again ClarMars

If you want to check any supplements you are considering taking against any drugs you are currently taking you can check with your pharmacist, who should be able to advise, also some health food shops have the drug interactions check software so they can check things on the customers behalf. For an on line check go here:

http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

Hope this is of help to you and others that may want to check these things out.

Best Wishes to you

Jen
    flower2520paars.gif~c200