Hello!! Just joined...

Tasha23
Tasha23 Member Posts: 3
edited 10. Jul 2015, 17:08 in Say Hello Archive
Hi,
I'm always one to join forums but never participate :)
I've recently been diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis, I'm 29 years old and have 2 children, 3 and 1.
Pains started in my wrists and spread to pretty much all my joints :cry:
It's been an emotional rollercoaster, with late diagnosis due to negligent Gps and late referrals. I eventually got diagnosed by a private rheumatologist and he immediately started me on treatment. I'm currently taking prednisone and sulfasalazine. Methotrexate wasn't my first option as I'm still breastfeeding my little boy.
Thankfully the steroids have helped so much in easing the pains. Just waiting for the sulfasalazine to kick in, hopefully!
Anyone else taking sulfasalazine?
It's lovely knowing that everyone on this forum will be so understanding about living with arthritis :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Tasha

Welcome to the forums. I am sure you will find support, advice and some light relief.

I am one of the moderation team, we all have one or more arthritis conditions or look after family with the same. If you need help with the technicalities of the forum just get in touch via a pm.

Regards
    CK Mod.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Tasha23 and welcome from me, too. :)

There are quite a few on here who take sulph but I'm not one of them. I'm on meth and hydroxy. I hope it works for you. Pred's a bit of a mixed blessing but it does have its uses.

I wouldn't like to go back to having small children and arthritis. It was certainly a struggle but we all came through it :wink:

You'll find more people around on the Living With Arthritis and Chit Chat forums. Please join in anywhere :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, this will be a brief reply as I am in the middle of cooking. I've been taking tablet sulph for years now (plus a variety of other things) but overall it's done nothing for my version of auto-immune arthritis (psoriatic) but a friend of mine who has the same is wonderfully controlled by that and that alone which must be pleasant. :wink:

Sulph is one of the usual initial DMARDs, meth is another but of course you cannot take it yet and for good reason. Steroids have a useful role to play but they are not a complete answer, they remove the worst of the symptoms but they do not address the cause of the underlying trouble.

Right, The Spouse is in and I have to dish up. I'll try to do a better reply tomorrow but I have rheumatology plus The Spouse will be working at home. My time won't be my own. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Jen
    Jen Member Posts: 155
    Hi Tasha and Welcome

So sorry to hear you have been diagnosed so young with RA and with young children, it must make things doubly difficult for you.

I don't have RA myself but I am familiar with steroids so I do hope you don't have to use these long term as they do cause bone thinning. So if you are on the steroids long term do ask your doctor about supplementing with calcium and vitamin D3 and perhaps later on ask for a bone density scan, known as a DEXA scan.

I am not sure how steroids, calcium and vitamin D3 supplement would affect baby's health through the milk long term. Perhaps the helpline can help you with that to get their view as well as the doctor's.

Very best wishes to you Tasha and your young children.
    flower2520paars.gif~c200
  • Tasha23
    Tasha23 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you so much for your replies and kind words :)
    The prednisolone, fortunately my rheumatologist only wants me to take them temporarily due to the side effects and I'm also taking a calcium and vitamin d3 supplement!
    Just hope that the sulfasalazine works for me!
    Wish you all the best and hope that whatever medication you're taking works for you all :)
  • snowdales
    snowdales Member Posts: 3
    Hi Tasha,
    Sorry to here of your situation. I'm alittle older than you,43. I got diagnosed last year with OA and have had keyhole surgery twice. I've been told I might get another 5 years out of my right knee. However my surgeon won't commit himself to knee replacement as I'll only be 48, still to young in his opinion :cry: I have a young family to and it's hard for them to understand. Im so glad there's this forum didn't realise there were so many young people like us with arthritis. Hopefully we can get through this together :P