aplying for ESa

emmaadams
emmaadams Member Posts: 140
i have just sent my pip forms off hopefully ll get a good response

i am self employed at the moment and im usually on my feet alot i haven't been able to do my job since my op in May due to constant pain, not being able to stand/sit for long periods of time, and due to strong pain meds ... how long it s you have to be out of work for to apply for ESA ??/ i know PIP had to be 12 weeks .. how do you apply for ESa ? and do my tax credits get stopped whilst its being processed ???

i, also aware that you have to have a sick note from your GP do i just ask for one??

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    This might help a bit re ESA http://tinyurl.com/okrgkuo
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • emmaadams
    thanks sticky :) ill give them a ring in the morning x
  • Rebeccarockchick
    Rebeccarockchick Member Posts: 50
    hi, my understanding of esa is that you can claim as soon as you become to ill to work, as long as you are not getting statuary sick pay. Your tax credits should not stop whilst your claim is going on and there is a disability element of tax creds you may be entitled to. you have to get a not fit for work note from your GP. To make a claim you call the Esa. Look on Gov.uk website loads of info on there. Citizens advice and welfare rights also very helpful with forms and to help if you need to appeal esa or pip. Good luck with it all :D Sorry for quick/late reply been one of those long days!!! :)
  • emmaadams
    thank you Rebeccarockchick . i wasnt aware that you could claim it that soon . i thought there was a standard wait time .

im having the forms sent out to fill in thank you all for your help xx
  • Rebeccarockchick
    Rebeccarockchick Member Posts: 50
    I am only going off my experience, i know everyones situation is different.So always best to check these things out. I was on the phone for 90 minutes (had to ask for a break as well) when i first rang them and then there is a very lengthy form to fill in as well. esa is quite complex with assessments and different phases and different payments for different situations so it might be worthwhile asking citizens advice to help out.

let us know how you get on and good luck with the pip :)
  • tedthered64
    tedthered64 Member Posts: 84
    Hi, if your GP back dates the fit note for you, from the date you became ill, you can actually ask the DWP to start your claim from that date, hope it helps and best of luck with it.
    Ted