Tears!

prefabkid47
prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
edited 3. Oct 2015, 10:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
I would be very interested if others also go through an apparently involuntary symptom of my flare ups.

Namely a sudden flood of tears.This is not a symptom of self pity,for example this evening just had a shower,sat on the bathroom stool to put socks on,then suddenly on came the tears................. :cry:

If in public can fight back the tears (just!).

prefabkid
''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Comments

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Yes it has happened to me. Not too often. A few times the tears just pour from my eyes even though I'm not really sobbing. Weird. They will just pour all night long. It's so rare that it really affects OH when it happens, he knows something really bad is happening.

Take care.
    Anna
  • OliverT
    OliverT Member Posts: 26
    Yes. I've had it a few times in the past few months. I think it's a some weird deep grieving thing. Like every flare-up or set-back takes me a step further away from the active vital person that I used to be in my minds eye, and I'm grieving the loss of that person. And frightened for the future person I'm becoming.

I've noticed that in the past when I'm injured I cannot for the life of me imagine myself well again, and I'd get a bit down in the dumps. I guess flare-ups are the same but amplified a whole lot as it's hard to have much expectation of improvement.

That said - we always come to a new balance, and things seem better - if only by contrast. I hope you feel better soon in some way.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I reckon this is entirely normal, prefab, it's called being human. We are not only physically complex creatures we also feel a huge range of emotions (one of my favourite Dorothy L Parker quotes about an actress is 'She ran the gamut of emotions from A to B.')

I don't cry very often so when I do I know I'm at the end of my elastic physical tether (developed after years of arthritis). Tears have a place in our lives, they can express happiness, sadness, crying with laughter is my favourite kind and they are an emotional relief. I've never understood why males, after the age of five or so, are placed under pressure not to cry, that's ridiculous. I've never seen Mr DD cry and doubt I ever will.

One would hope that after joints have been medically 'fixed' that things would return to normal but the disease may still be there, chuntering away and affecting us more than we might realise. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Jen
    Jen Member Posts: 155
    So sorry Prefab, I think coping with pain day after day can get you to that point, when everything is such a struggle.

Hope things ease for you soon.

Jen x

rose.gif
    flower2520paars.gif~c200
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm sorry things are so rough, ron. It gets to us all at times. No wonder. If it's an occasional one-off then fair enough. If it's regular why not see the doc. A short course of anti-deps might help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Thanks all who replied to my thread.Makes me realise that I'm not unique nor on my own (that's reassuring!).

OliverT I think your comment on grieving for the person I was and frightened of the person I am becoming could be a valid point.Perhaps I am feeling that but not aware of it.

This could certainly be a an important factor in my outbursts.

Thanks again.
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Funny thing is I was teary this morning, this flare is beating me up! And to top it all off my OH & I have picked up a bug that's given us both a nasty sore throat and nausea.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I think tears can sometimes be a release. Things just pile up now and again, and we all have a tipping-point.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Ron yes its something most of us go through...I think I have come to terms with all I cant do and the pain..but then suddenly reality hits..but tears are a good release and so is talking .. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I've been pondering the use of the word 'grief' and have come to this conclusion.

There is indeed a sense of loss in the physical restrictions I face, which have increased over the years thanks to the relentless progression of my condition, but I haven't become anyone else due to the impact of arthritis, I'm the same person as I was before it began. The essential me remains the same and always will. Arthritis cannot change that. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben