Share a halloween ghost story

Boomer13
Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
edited 15. Oct 2015, 15:47 in Community Chit-chat archive
It's the season for scary stories.....

The old house with it's older abandoned ancestor poised some distance behind it, sat on ten acres of rolling, open aspen forest. The older homestead that sat behind it was just a shell now. Even the roof was caving in. There was a large red barn in between the two houses that still smelled of the last cows that lived there. As I drove up the driveway, the character of the main two-story house was amazing. From the beautiful wooden veranda to the gabled windows sticking out of the upper story. It was obviously well-built. It looked in good condition from the outside. Inside there were all the signs of a house not lived in for many years. Mice, ample dust covered everything and, chipped and peeling paint on every surface. There were even large pieces of furniture left behind and now covered in dust, no doubt inhabited by mice and other creatures.

The first night was unsettling, as they often are when sleeping in a new place. This one was eerily quiet. The sound of nothing. No electricity to the building and no running water, meant no creaking pipes or humming appliances. Just quiet, and then .... mice. The first notable sound was of mice running everywhere but especially through the old duct work from the coal furnace in the basement. Cleaning that out would be a priority tomorrow. Mid-way through the night I awoke to the sound of slamming doors and the sound of someone running down the wooden staircase very fast and out the front door which slammed too. OK, but I was here alone.... Bolt upright in bed, I sat transfixed by fear and apprehension at the sounds I'd just heard, only to see a light on in the tiny nursery which was off the main bedroom. It had a small door which was closed but a definite light could be seen through the crack under the door. But the house had no electricity. I drew in a sharp breath, "what was that" and then I could hear the soft sound of muffled crying coming from that nursery. I wasn't about to go open that door. Instead, I grabbed a blanket and headed for the car to spend the rest of night in the back seat contemplating what I'd seen and heard the first night in my new house. How was I going to conquer my fear and spend a second night in there?

:scary-spider:

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry, Anna. I'm busy getting ready to spend Hallowe'en where they do it big time. I'm not exactly looking forward to it as I share the fairly general view of Trick or Treating as organised theft.

I did once write a ghost story for my Eng. Lit. homework when I was 13. It was the first essay I really enjoyed writing, but not the last.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    That's ok, sticky. I agree with you about trick or treating. It's lights off here and hide under the duvet on halloween night. Any organised halloween event would definitely frighten me. It is a favorite time of year though, mainly for the mildly stormy weather, clear days and all the lovely colors of trees, etc.

I've just been trying to distract myself from the ongoing whining inner dialogue about my own scary arthritis story. I thought a good ghost story might do it. I can't do anything else these days. There, I still managed a short whimper :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Tell you what, this is my own ghost story. I don't believe in ghosts but I can't explain this.

Long before our children came along we used to visit an old, childless, couple every Friday evening. W was ill with heart failure but good company.

I was teaching and, on this particular day, due to take my class on their end of term outing. I woke up at 6.15, before the alarm went off, and, in my dozy state, thought I saw W standing at the foot of our bed.

I took the kids on the outing but couldn't get this image out of my head so, when we got back to the station, I went to a phone (This was pre-mobiles) and rang his wife to see how he was. A said W had died that morning. 6.15.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    That's interesting Sticky. I've gone through times in my life that I've been a firmly rational disbeliever but then you have something happen that makes you wonder and think that science doesn't have all the answers yet regarding this sort of thing. So now I say I'm an open-minded skeptic. I love stories like this and was thinking of starting a collection of local ones here where I live. I'm not sure if I want to take on a project just yet.

My story is fictional but the farmhouse and footsteps, bangs, lights and cries were from a relative's story of what happened to her a long time ago at an old farmhouse. She was very believable and obviously shaken by what had happened. I never knew what to think.